PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

nuprotocol is keeping up the good worknuprotocol is keeping up the good worknuprotocol is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Garmin Mobile XT Gps Lag

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanborn1979 View Post
Maybe it is just the settings that I have my TP set at....If I set the map detail to highest setting I get a lag of a few seconds. But if i turn it down to normal the lag goes away. It also doesn't lag when I am out in the country, only in congested areas.
Im going to try with less map detail and report back. Maybe that will fix the problem. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:17 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
I've been using it for a week now, and I haven't noticed any significant lag. It tends to be slightly behind my Nuvi unit in my car, but just barely.

The thing is, why should it be behind the unit in your car at all??

I have an in-dash Garmin double din NAV unit in my truck & I see the same thing. Granted, it's not a deal breaker but it is annoying (& they all do it, I have tried the GPS in three co-workers TP2's & they where all exactly the same).

When I had an xv6800 using GarminXT that didn't lag whatever, so there is really no excuse for the TP2 to do it(even if it's just a little bit)

I do have the map set to the highest detail setting, but my in-dash unit is set exactly the same.

igo reads exactly the same also.

~John
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

bsweetness is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
The thing is, why should it be behind the unit in your car at all??

I have an in-dash Garmin double din NAV unit in my truck & I see the same thing. Granted, it's not a deal breaker but it is annoying (& they all do it, I have tried the GPS in three co-workers TP2's & they where all exactly the same).

When I had an xv6800 using GarminXT that didn't lag whatever, so there is really no excuse for the TP2 to do it(even if it's just a little bit)

I do have the map set to the highest detail setting, but my in-dash unit is set exactly the same.

igo reads exactly the same also.

~John
I have yet to own a smartphone or pocket pc of any kind with GPS that was as accurate as the unit in my car, so I guess the 2 second lag is something I expected due to my assumption that the GPS hardware is inferior to the standalone unit. But I don't really ever use the GPS on my phone in the car on a regular basis (that's what the car unit is for). I primarily use it for when I'm walking around, so I don't have any lag to worry about with that.

I also have it set to the highest detail setting, so I'll have to give it a try with it toned down. Again, my assumption is that the hardware just isn't as good as the dedicated standalone unit that's not trying to do several other things at the same time like the phone.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

nuprotocol is keeping up the good worknuprotocol is keeping up the good worknuprotocol is keeping up the good work

Turning the map detail down did help a great deal. It's still not right on as it was with the Touch Pro, but its alot better. I'll have to test with a longer drive to be sure. I'll let you guys know tomorrow.

However, so far turning the map detail down did reduce the lag. It's weird, b/c the touch pro which was nowhere near has smooth and fluid as the touch pro 2 had no problems with map detail on its default.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VZW: Touch Pro2, Titan, Vogue, and Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

mdjkim is just getting started

Is it possible that the GPS lag is some type of hardware issue that only affects certain batches of phones?

When I'm using Google Maps or Bing, I get no lag. However, when I'm running TomTom, I get some serious lag problems. Haven't tried Garmin yet.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjkim View Post
Is it possible that the GPS lag is some type of hardware issue that only affects certain batches of phones?

When I'm using Google Maps or Bing, I get no lag. However, when I'm running TomTom, I get some serious lag problems. Haven't tried Garmin yet.
And this pisses me off b/c TomTom worked very well on the Touch Pro with no lag. I went to Garmin b/c I heard so many people were having problems with TomTom on the Tp2. Garmin starts fast and I believe may be faster than TomTom but it has some lag.

I haven't even tried TomTom on the Tp2 b/c so many people said it has some serious lag. Well Garmin Mobile XT for me has lag as well. It's not serious lag IMO, but its still lag. TP didn't have any of these issues. lol
Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

Heinous is just getting started

Mine lags too, using both TomTom Navigator and Sprint Nav. I've missed my exit a few times already since I keep forgetting about the delay. My Diamond and Mogul never had this problem.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

mikenerd is keeping up the good workmikenerd is keeping up the good work

I have always been a little slow so, it seems right on for me
Old 10-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

PPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on repPPCFreak is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I tried TomTom and Garmin XT both. TomTom seems to lag a little more than Garmin does but both Lag.
Really bad deal since my xv6700 with a bluetooth GPS didn't lag this much.
But its nice not to have to carry around the bluetooth GPS everywhere now.

I can live with the Lag for the convience of not having to carry around a 2nd items and worry about its battery or leaving it somewhere (ie. airport once and in rental car another time).

NRGz Wiki/FAQ Here
NRGz 29022 Sense 2.5 CHT1.8.5 Jul 4th
Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Moving the Map Detail from "Normal" to "Less" did fix my problem. The TP2 gps tracking isn't as good as my TP, but it's close after adjusting my map detail setting.

Thanks!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2