PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 08:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

themaster is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Internet Sharing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick99si View Post
This probably won't help, but in my research about this topic a few months ago I found that it's a PITA to get USB internet sharing working and working consistently. It's a function of both registry edits and drivers on the phone, which were difficult to source and install, as well as drivers on the PC and Activesync's willngness to play along. The fact that it also varies from rom to rom, which it looks you've already studied, pissed me off to the point that I decided to just get WMWiFiRouter for all my internet sharing (USB, WiFi, BT, and many combinations thereof).

I'm subscribing to this thread to keep up with developments.
Yah, actually you make me think too of buying that program "PDA.net" that was available for years on pocketpc.. (I have used wmwwifirouter too but when I last tried it on my touch pro it was highly unstable.. (not the USB the wifi ) and so was the wifisharing on 03-2010 mightyrom )

Here is what I know in my experience it worked fine on the march 2010 rom from mightyrom.. I know that cause I ran this rom for year+ it's only bugs were (the phone would randomly crash once in a while.. playing with the new roms they all seem to randomly crash downloading too much or whatever) and the mute button would sometimes somehow be on when using the dialer at times.. fixed by either pressing "mute" 2 times or "speaker phone"

The real reason I wanted to upgrade was I thought by now these ROM's would have "mode of operation" the forcing to EV mode.. that was standard on both roms for the mogul and touch pro.. I was shocked to find everyone I tested didn't have it..

(data is important to me.. maybe as important to you! )

But if you check one of my other threads/posts you'll see I did get a answer for that.. a custom .CAB was developed at XDA to force networks.. I haven't even tried it yet.. (not motivated/not needed yet)

I was in a Ev/1x in and out drop zone when I started all this crap to get better phone features.. and so it would have been highly useful there.. but all too late.. (I'll experiment when I have problems again!)

My theory thus far.. is something that added those cool front buttons to windows mobile in the roms I tested which are mighty rom 6-2010 and both of vin's roms 6.5.1 or whatever it is.. broke it.. cause it's broke on all 3 rom's.. yet worked perfectly on mightyrom 3-2010 (maybe, it took time I'm not sure)

I only updated cause of the bugs.. and cause I thought it would get better.. but I see lots of little bugs here too.. the kind people obviously don't care about except weird ones like me

I personally use my phone to tether maybe "50%" of the time of it's use.. especially when I travel.. and I have been doing that for like 7-8 years now.. even with verizon I tethered.. (before I joined sprint)

I really don't understand "why know one gives a damn??" sure 5 seconds isn't big a deal.. but wtf it used to work?? Just released a new version.. and ahh whatever.. and in a WAY 5 seconds is a big deal.. the fricking "internet sharing" can take up to 3-5 seconds to establish a TETHER with the computer.. and that's 10 seconds of WAITING.. ridiculous! When it worked!

My only guess is cause I'm stuck with a older phone the good developers skipped town on windows mobile.. and just don't care.. ohh well.. I can't bitch too much when it's free

I tried to talking to "vin" which people on here say he cares.. but that I'm aware I'm one of the posts he skipped..

For now.. I'm going to experiment with vin's latest rom.. try it out see if I like it (GPS is still screwed up.. gonna try a new radio!) and I'll live with the 5 second prompt for now.. if things get bad I'll go back to my old mightyrom and hope it all just works the way it did.. 3-4 weeks ago.. before I tried unsuccessful upgrade experiments..

Written from my 10+ second internet sharing vin rom'd phone tethered to my laptop at dennys..

Last edited by themaster; 04-16-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I sent you a PM with another option, if you're interested in testing and playing around.

As far as the "mode of operation," I'm fairly certain that this is a setting hidden by WM by default, which is "unlocked" with a simple registry edit. There's actually a slew of phone settings which don't typically show up unless you enable them on your own.

The feature you're referring to is called "DTM" (I'm 95% sure, that is!)
Old 04-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

OP I really think what you are experiencing is your device trying to establish an activesync link to your PC immediately every time you plug in and that is what causes a delay. I let my device sync every time I plug into my PC anyway each time so I guess it doesn't bother me. I guess I'm more patient.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust
Pocket PC: Tin Can ^^)
Carrier: Verizon

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)

In addition, we were just keeping things light and didn't mean to make you feel like we don't 'Give a ...'. Sorry if you felt that way.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

themaster is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

OP I really think what you are experiencing is your device trying to establish an activesync link to your PC immediately every time you plug in and that is what causes a delay. I let my device sync every time I plug into my PC anyway each time so I guess it doesn't bother me. I guess I'm more patient.
I don't really know why.. the phone does "nothing" when I plug it in (with the setting checked!)

I have played with activesync settings both on the computer and the phone.. I have removed (activesync) on the computer a bunch of times as I said.. but I can try a little more in that reguard..
Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

themaster is a n00b

Testing new rom "LEAD ROM 03.20.11" and nope doesn't work there either.. using it in 10+ second mode.. though I may experiment with trying out wifirouter.. as long as I don't have to launch it.. (to launch it is 10+ seconds) anyway..

I think I will likely default back to "mightyrom 3-2010" but before I do.. I'll be sure to test what these new "rom's" offer.. after having some sort of weird error where I couldn't type into the operas browser with vin's rom.. I just decided to amscray that one.. vin is also abandoning support so

Also whatever made it work faster last time in vin's.. I didn't see it again.. maybe I meant his last stable release in december..
Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint 4G Network

Deimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Not sure if it's just me, but is anyone else having problems establishing a connection today, either by a) stock Internet Sharing app or b) HTC's wifi sharing app

I noticed my sprint TouchPro2 is jumping from EV to 1X and when trying both methods to establish a connection to my laptop to read my email, it simply says "no internet access"

I sparingly use this connection for easier readability on my laptop, but as of today, It's not working as it was. Anyone else have this problem today on Sprint?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Franken Pre Plus/Touch Pro

brack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuff

I'm connected right now on my sprint tp2. I'm currently on the xpress rom, using htc wifi sharing, and it's working great. I'm hoping that those sprint commercial are true too, when he says unlimited web, because I'm over the 5gb this month.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:47 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint 4G Network

Deimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on rep

haha brack21, I just remembered that commercial with Dan Heese speaking about unlimited web/data, it's a good one

I'm very glad to say that today, the problems that persisted yesterday are gone, and all connectivity has resumed its normal function. I forgot to mention yesterday that the internet sharing problem was persistent on two different ROMS one personally made by myself, and another from Sprint Lovers ROM. So I knew something was going on on the server side, glad that it's been resolved

Also how do you even reach that kind of bandwidth on this type of connection, I hope I help decrease that average by not using mine very much, I do understand sometimes it's essential though. Now to work on the latest HTC sys update 21690 (WinMo 6.5.3) Have a good day everyone!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Franken Pre Plus/Touch Pro

brack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuff

Watching movies. My download is about 2.4mb on a good day, well actual download is 300KB/sec, which isn't great, but since I can't get broadband where I'm at, it's either that or satellite service.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2