PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: A
Carrier: A

smitty7002 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[RESOLVED] Using a HTC Touch Pro2 on AT&T GoPhone (prepaid) Network?

so i bought the AT&T LG Neon slider phone, that was gonna be used as a GoPhone meaning it's on a prepaid plan.

My dad has an extra HTC TouchPro 2 smartphone laying around, it says on the box "HTC Touch Pro 2, Global Smartphone". It was bought from verizon to be used on for his business phone, but it also says it's a global phone (meaning it can work with AT&T's GSM network instead of verizon's CDMA?)...it also has a cracked front screen but i was wondering if u could just replace it with this.

So i would need to unlock it somehow, and probably erase the company stuff off of it, it has this "iAnywhere Afaria" software as well. Then would i be able to insert my AT&T sim card out of my LG Neon into this HTC smartphone and be able to use it strictly for SMS + calling? i dont wanna waste my money on the data, but how would that work? would AT&T prepaid require me to keep a data plan or be able to disable my phone?

Im still not sure whether u can unlock the phone to be able to use the US GSM cuz i know it's global phone that can use non-GSM networks..

thanks A LOT for your help, i'd really like to make use of this phone laying around the house haha.

------RESOLVED------

So I originally had only my old GoPhone, a LG Neon with a prepaid LOCKED sim card. It is important to know that if you bought a sim card and it came with a monetary bonus, such as $50 of free airtime, that you'll need to call AT&T GoPhone support (611 from ur AT&T phone or 1800-331-0500 from any landline) to "unlock" the SIM card otherwise it won't be recognized in any SIM device.

So for future reference here's an entire overview what I did

1. Originally an old Verizon HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone that had been deactivated, I performed a hard-reset to make this phone start from scratch.
  2. Once this was performed, obviously Verizon wanted me to activate this phone, I just ignored all of that, and preceded to install a variety of programs, tinker with settings and such.
  3. Once I was ready, I went to the wonderful site made by Olipro and Cmonex, here.
  4. I bought the software via Google checkout and received the download link for the EXE software that this site will send you. I paid a total of 11.50GPB (equivalent to US$18.03) for this software.
  5. I unzipped the file, and ran the EXE. There are a total of three parts in this software that you must perform, to get your phone unlocked. STEP 1 - Flash Hard-SPL: "It will flash your device with a patched SPL. To do this, you MUST have activesync [aka Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC)] synced with the PDA, failure to properly apply Hard-SPL will result in rest of steps failing." STEP 2 - Unlock Radio: "Your device will be flashed with a specially patched radio - this will allow the phone to be unlocked - AFTER this has completed (which is of course dependent on step 1, you are ready)." STEP 3 - Run Unlocker: "This will run the unlocker on your device...it's a nice little GUI program I made, so when it pushes it to your phone, do please pay attention."
  6. So off we go...running this unlocker. Windows 7 x64 is confirmed to work so don't worry if you see a warning message.
  7. Follow the instructions, you should install a CAB file to your phone. In my case, my phone had randomly shut off before the ROM installation for Hard-SPL began, so you need to eject battery, put it back in and turn it back on, making sure WMDC is connected.
  8. Let the ROM flash, it should be pretty quick, took around 45sec for me as I had a fresh HTC (recently hard-reseted).
  9. Confirmation of successful Hard-SPL should follow, now you flash the Radio firmware which should follow the similar procedure as STEP 1.
  10. Once that's done, do STEP 3, which should be quick. A GUI program will pop up on your phone, select the first two options, and you can leave the CID key alone, then press continue and you should now have an unlocked phone!
  11. In addition to this, I also ran this flash to update the radio firmware as I didn't realize the SIM problem till later. I don't know whether it makes a difference but it certainly doesn't cause harm so you might as well do it .
  12. Insert the SIM card you had "unlocked" from the customer support at AT&T, or any unlocked carrier of your choice. Go to settings and set it to "GSM/UMTS Only" and Manual. Scan for your network, it should connect. Place an outgoing call, try incoming and send a few texts. All should work as is.
  13. If you're worried about the Data Charge, just for a safe precaution, install NoData to toggle any data services off.
  14. So...if you look at this thread and DON'T act like the n00b I was, you should be able to do this in like 15mins haha, not the various days I took by posting n00b question after one another.
IMPORTANT: To unlock your phone without external software via Verizon and avoid paying for the third-party software, you can call their customer service number 1(800)-711-8300, and follow the guide posted here. I'm not sure if you still would need to run Hard-SPL and upgrade the radio firmware, but Hard-SPL can be found here and the newest radio firmware is in step 11, here.

All I can say is...thanks PPC!

Last edited by smitty7002; 08-02-2010 at 10:25 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:38 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Sprint

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Using a HTC Touch Pro2 on AT&T GoPhone (prepaid) Network?

The US tp2's are not sim unlocked for US GSM network. Now if I remember correctly, there were verizon users on here that said their sim was already sim unlocked out of the box. but I stand corrected on that. If not, 2 ways to unlock sim. First is to maybe have your dad call big red to see if they'll give him the unlock code for the sim device. If not...second option, pay to get cmonex's sim unlocker posted in the CDMA upgrades section in this forum.

Once you get sim unlocked...pop in sim, change network to GSM, and you're good to go. Now for data...you'll need to manually input at&t's data settings for it to work.

btw...welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Mojary; 07-28-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:28 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

You would need to have whomever purchased it originally contact VZW and have them get the SIM unlock code to unlock the phone. Verizon TP2s all came SIM locked, but once unlocked, can be used with any carrier. Sprint TP2s came SIM unlocked, but cannot be used with US carriers as they were locked out with the radio or something similar. If you can't get Verizon to unlock the phone for you, you can always get a code from eBay or similar for a few dollars. After that, you could do a factory reset by flashing any of the three stock ROMs that are available, or just hard resetting the phone. Insert your SIM card, and you'll likely want to use a program like NoData to disable the data connection on the phone if you don't want to pay for it, though it may not work anyway. Not sure if the data settings would be stored with the SIM card somehow or not.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

smitty7002 is a n00b

thanks for the prompt responses!

so i would need to somehow contact anyone (if my dad's company doesn't sim-unlock the phone for him) to unlock it by himself...just to get it work on the US-GSM networks like AT&T?

also, there's no point in me pursuing all this if it ends up with me having to pay 30bucks a month for a data plan to use it, i only wanna text and call (yes ik "what is the point of owning a smartphone then?"...i just want a NICE phone ), so would AT&T prepaid require me to put a data plan just to use it? i saw in the menu screen for "comm manager" it has this "data button that can be toggled on/off, just below the "push email" option.

thanks once again, i tried a couple of different forums, this has been the best so far.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:03 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty7002 View Post
thanks for the prompt responses!

so i would need to somehow contact anyone (if my dad's company doesn't sim-unlock the phone for him) to unlock it by himself...just to get it work on the US-GSM networks like AT&T?

also, there's no point in me pursuing all this if it ends up with me having to pay 30bucks a month for a data plan to use it, i only wanna text and call (yes ik "what is the point of owning a smartphone then?"...i just want a NICE phone ), so would AT&T prepaid require me to put a data plan just to use it? i saw in the menu screen for "comm manager" it has this "data button that can be toggled on/off, just below the "push email" option.

thanks once again, i tried a couple of different forums, this has been the best so far.
yes...if your dad owns the phone, he needs to call big red to try and get the sim unlock code. since it's a pre-paid...it's a pay as you go deal with data as well. data will not be required. and yup, you can turn data on and off in the comm manager.

***edit***
this thread gives you instruction on how to get the code from big red and how to input code when you get it. the first post here....
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...zon+sim+unlock

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

Last edited by Mojary; 07-29-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

smitty7002 is a n00b

OMY GOD thank you, u literally made my day haha. this gives me hope now i just need to find a solid guide in how to replace the digitalizer, it looks mighty confusing lol.

so the plan for now is...

1. i'll just try give a call to verizon number 1(800)-711-8300 and hit option 2
  2. get the sim unlocked for global use just by asking for it
  3. use a hard rest (vol down, talk, end buttons while power off) to get this stupid afaria off the phone and to it's default settings...or wipe the ROMs of the data if hard reset just puts it back to what the office restored it to
  4. put my AT&T GoPhone sim card in it, check to see if it all works...calls and sms (also turn off the data usage in comm management)
  5. ...if that works i'll be crazy happy and then will see how to fix the digitalizer since the crack is quite big
Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad

yeah just follow the instructions on that post. what happened to your screen/digitizer? also...you don't need to do the combo button for a hard reset. you can do hard reset in the settings screen.

Last edited by Mojary; 07-29-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

smitty7002 is a n00b

haha ask my dad, as i said this is his old business phone that he replaced with the droid followed by the droid x.

apparently he said he left it out on his mercedes' dashboard, and when he came back it was cracked but he has also dropped it from his pocket to the carpeted floor of the car..so i really doubt it was the drop. might've been the hot sun that cracked the screen, it gets up to 100F down here in charleston, SC haha.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:55 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad

have you tried to take it to verizon and see how much they will charge you for them to replace to digitizer? although it is cheaper if you buy it aftermarket and try to do it yourself.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: USCC

Oditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty7002 View Post
(yes ik "what is the point of owning a smartphone then?"...i just want a NICE phone ),
If you ever wanted to access the Internet on it, then go to Starbucks or the library and turn on the WiFi.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2