PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint

KimoSan is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Preparing Touch Pro2 for Trip to Japan, need advice...

Yep, no sims. I looked for quite a while and couldn't find any. You might be able to simply enable international calling but I recommend just calling Sprint and adding the international calling plan. Like I said, you can add it only for the time you'll be there and they'll prorate the price for you (I paid something like $2 for the time I was there).

And yeah, keep your calls short. $1.69/min adds up in a hurry. I was there for a week and racked up a $300 bill just for my Japan calls. Good thing it was covered by work.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT
Threadstarter

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoSan View Post
Yep, no sims. I looked for quite a while and couldn't find any. You might be able to simply enable international calling but I recommend just calling Sprint and adding the international calling plan. Like I said, you can add it only for the time you'll be there and they'll prorate the price for you (I paid something like $2 for the time I was there).

And yeah, keep your calls short. $1.69/min adds up in a hurry. I was there for a week and racked up a $300 bill just for my Japan calls. Good thing it was covered by work.
If I have to enable international rates, I might just do it for emergency purposes and try to avoid using calls at all... The language barrier alone will make calls last quite a while

I was on a Japan Travel forum today and someone said you can't buy sim cards outright, but you can rent them (not a phone, but actual sim card)... Check it out: http://www.softbank-rental.jp/en/phones/sim3g.php (note they have iphone and regular 3g cards for rent)

I need to find out if that softbank sim rental works with the tp2. Tp2 is w-cdma/umts compatible, but they have some bit about it not working with all smartphones... I'm also not sure if they cut off all data usage, or if they charge on a per use basis (if that's the case, that can be scary using a tp2 because it has a mind of its own when using data).

Last edited by lipidfats; 07-30-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

murtynvr is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmajewsk View Post
Excellent, idea. I always wondered how to resolve that. However, I am on cooked ROM, and don't see that option under phone>>menu...are you on a Sprint stock ROM?
I am on stock. yes. i have the option in both 6.1 and 6.5

when we click menu.. we need to swipe upwards to see the options. items are more thatswhy it stops at myphone number.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Narkain is a n00b

Hey Guys,

I have a pre-paid softbank sim card that I bought while in Japan, and the phone number/balance has not expired yet, but soon will.

I won't be able to make it back to Japan before the expiration though.

Even though they were not supposed to, a Softbank shop in Kyoto sold me a pre-paid sim. I have been using it for the last couple years, however I have always been able to return before the service period expires.

Last visit, I was able to login to their website to do online pre-paid payments to extend the contract. (The account activation requires a PIN entered that they SMS the phone.)

However, they recently changed their login system, and you have to re-apply for an account. This means I have to be able to receive an SMS again.

I am planning to upgrade to a TP2 very soon anyways and was wondering if I can use it to receive the SMS messages while here in the US. (Specifically Dallas/Fort Worth).

This might be best for a seperate thread, but kinda seemed like it fit in here. Sorry jic!

Thanks!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2