View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 06:16 PM
lipidfats
VIP Member
Threadstarter

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Preparing Touch Pro2 for Trip to Japan, need advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoSan View Post
Yep, no sims. I looked for quite a while and couldn't find any. You might be able to simply enable international calling but I recommend just calling Sprint and adding the international calling plan. Like I said, you can add it only for the time you'll be there and they'll prorate the price for you (I paid something like $2 for the time I was there).

And yeah, keep your calls short. $1.69/min adds up in a hurry. I was there for a week and racked up a $300 bill just for my Japan calls. Good thing it was covered by work.
If I have to enable international rates, I might just do it for emergency purposes and try to avoid using calls at all... The language barrier alone will make calls last quite a while

I was on a Japan Travel forum today and someone said you can't buy sim cards outright, but you can rent them (not a phone, but actual sim card)... Check it out: http://www.softbank-rental.jp/en/phones/sim3g.php (note they have iphone and regular 3g cards for rent)

I need to find out if that softbank sim rental works with the tp2. Tp2 is w-cdma/umts compatible, but they have some bit about it not working with all smartphones... I'm also not sure if they cut off all data usage, or if they charge on a per use basis (if that's the case, that can be scary using a tp2 because it has a mind of its own when using data).

Last edited by lipidfats; 07-30-2010 at 06:20 PM.