PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 03:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Preparing Touch Pro2 for Trip to Japan, need advice...

I'll be heading to Japan soon and I'm interested in using my TP2 there. I'll just need it to make and receive calls with people in Japan already. Anyway, I'm a little confused as to what I need to do in order to prepare the device.

From what I've seen from discussions over the past 8 or 9 months, it's cheaper to just put in a Japanese prepaid SIM card than use international sprint service, correct? So I'm thinking I'll go with that route, however, do i have to do anything special, like call sprint to get the sim unlocked or anything of that nature? Or unlock it through one of the hacking options here (from my understanding that's just if you want to use a U.S. sim).

Also, if anyone's actually used their tp2 in Japan, please let me know your experience with prepaid sims (where to buy, suggested carrier, any issues, do they have data sims, does texting work, etc).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by lipidfats; 07-28-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

blackangst is keeping up the good workblackangst is keeping up the good workblackangst is keeping up the good work
Re: Preparing Touch Pro2 for Trip to Japan, need advice...

Its already unlocked. You just need to buy your SIM, throw it in, and switch ur phone to GSM mode in the phone properties. Thats it.

edit: Settings-->Personal-->Phone-->Network tab--> switch to GSM only. Then in GSM network selection, hit the select button. It should find your network.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:48 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

here's what i can find regarding pre-paid sims for Japan. there's a few pre-paid sim carriers, but from what i can tell, the others require you to use their phone or device. with the exception of this one

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/prepaid_ser...paid_plan.html

and based on the conversion of $1 - Y87.44....a pre-paid that cost Y3,000 costs about US$35.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:41 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
here's what i can find regarding pre-paid sims for Japan. there's a few pre-paid sim carriers, but from what i can tell, the others require you to use their phone or device. with the exception of this one

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/prepaid_ser...paid_plan.html

and based on the conversion of $1 - Y87.44....a pre-paid that cost Y3,000 costs about US$35.
Thanks!
I've been doing some research as well and softbank, like you mention, seems to be my only realistic option. That being said, I'm still confused... many posts on the internet, regarding prepaid in Japan, are outdated and they talk about difficulty getting prepaid cards unless you're a native, and also some state that they don't offer prepaid cards at all... so confusing.

Please, if anyone has been to Japan recently with prepaid card experience, please chime in...
Old 07-29-2010, 03:26 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Bump, anyone else with input?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

murtynvr is just getting started

When i went to india, i brought a prepaid sim there and changed setting to GSM in phone and it worked rightaway as Sprint TP2 is already locked for international SIMs. However when i call mobile numbers, i was needed to dial with country code (+91 for india) which was annoying. then with PPCG help. i did the following and it worked. Not a big issue but annoying to have to dial with country code everytime.
Under Phone =>
Menu -> Global smart dialing. And selected Dial from and Dial to as India which solved it. It may show multiple entries for each country. I just choose the first one and it worked. Not sure the difference among them.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, HTC HD2
Carrier: Etisalat

cmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by murtynvr View Post
When i went to india, i brought a prepaid sim there and changed setting to GSM in phone and it worked rightaway as Sprint TP2 is already locked for international SIMs. However when i call mobile numbers, i was needed to dial with country code (+91 for india) which was annoying. then with PPCG help. i did the following and it worked. Not a big issue but annoying to have to dial with country code everytime.
Under Phone =>
Menu -> Global smart dialing. And selected Dial from and Dial to as India which solved it. It may show multiple entries for each country. I just choose the first one and it worked. Not sure the difference among them.
Excellent, idea. I always wondered how to resolve that. However, I am on cooked ROM, and don't see that option under phone>>menu...are you on a Sprint stock ROM?
Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bigray327 is keeping up the good workbigray327 is keeping up the good work

lipidfats, if you could post your experiences after your trip, I'd appreciate it. I'm going there in October and would like confirmation that this is the best option. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

KimoSan is a n00b

I just spent a week in Japan back in May and used my Sprint TP2 (stock ROM) without any problems. I too did a bunch of research before hand and found the process confusing.
1. The comment regarding it being illegal to use a pre-paid SIM if you're not a Japanese citizen is true. I couldn't find a pre-paid SIM anywhere.
2. So, I ended up calling Sprint and added the international calling plan for $4.99/mo. This cut down the calling rate from $1.99/min to $1.69/min. Since I only needed it for a week they prorated the amount for the time I needed it. Sprint sent me an email with instructions on setting the phone for GSM use (same instructions as posted above). As soon as I landed in Narita, I changed over to GSM and the phone found DoCoMo (Japanese carrier) right away.
3. Part of the instructions they sent was how to dial a local (Japanese) number vs. a US number. Short story is to dial a local number I just dialed the number. To dial back to the US I had to enter the country code first.

Service while I was there was great. Never dropped a call and sound quality was excellent.

Other options to using your cell are:
1. You can rent a cell phone with pre-paid minutes from one of the local carriers. There are kiosks at Narita airport (possibly others) that you can rent from. Most of the ones I looked at you need to schedule your rental and pick up ahead of time (this can be done online). Once the reservation is made, you jsut pick it up when you get there. Here's a link
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_19.html
2. MagicJack - If you have one bring it. If there is a high seed internet connection in your hotel room (or wherever you're staying) just plug it in, connect the phone line, and you can make calls back to the US as if you're calling from home. Didn't do this myself on my Japan trip (forgot to bring it) but I did it when i went to France in February. Worked great.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:11 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoSan View Post
I just spent a week in Japan back in May and used my Sprint TP2 (stock ROM) without any problems. I too did a bunch of research before hand and found the process confusing.
1. The comment regarding it being illegal to use a pre-paid SIM if you're not a Japanese citizen is true. I couldn't find a pre-paid SIM anywhere.
2. So, I ended up calling Sprint and added the international calling plan for $4.99/mo. This cut down the calling rate from $1.99/min to $1.69/min. Since I only needed it for a week they prorated the amount for the time I needed it. Sprint sent me an email with instructions on setting the phone for GSM use (same instructions as posted above). As soon as I landed in Narita, I changed over to GSM and the phone found DoCoMo (Japanese carrier) right away.
3. Part of the instructions they sent was how to dial a local (Japanese) number vs. a US number. Short story is to dial a local number I just dialed the number. To dial back to the US I had to enter the country code first.

Service while I was there was great. Never dropped a call and sound quality was excellent.

Other options to using your cell are:
1. You can rent a cell phone with pre-paid minutes from one of the local carriers. There are kiosks at Narita airport (possibly others) that you can rent from. Most of the ones I looked at you need to schedule your rental and pick up ahead of time (this can be done online). Once the reservation is made, you jsut pick it up when you get there. Here's a link
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_19.html
2. MagicJack - If you have one bring it. If there is a high seed internet connection in your hotel room (or wherever you're staying) just plug it in, connect the phone line, and you can make calls back to the US as if you're calling from home. Didn't do this myself on my Japan trip (forgot to bring it) but I did it when i went to France in February. Worked great.
thanks for the detailed explanation of your experience! Wow, so no prepaid sims at all? I guess my only option is enabling international calling. Is that the same as "allow international calls" or is it a completely different option? Renting a phone sounds like too much of a hassle, so I'll just have to use my tp2 and keep calls short. Thanks again.

If anyone else has an experience to share let me know.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2