PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 PM
BIGGZZ - VIP -
Pocket PC: Dell Streak
Carrier: AT&T

Biggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: So how (un) reliable is this hardware ?

Im still rocking my original TP2...no problems and a custom ROM often!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: US Cellular

RESET is just getting started

The screen on my first TP2 stopped responding to touch after a month and a half. I sent it in for repair but haven't heard anything back. I haven't had any problem with the hardware on the second. My girlfriend has had hers for over two months, almost three, and no hardware issues there either.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul,Touch,TP2,Hero,Pre,Evo,Evo Shift,Evo 3d
Carrier: Sprint

undarated is keeping up the good workundarated is keeping up the good work

no issues with mine. been rocking it for almost 4 months now (traded an 16gb iphone 3g for it). I want to get around to replacing the housing since previous owner didn't seem to know how to treat a $500 device but, other than that no issues what so ever.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

BethyM is just getting started

Got two last Oct, one for me and one for DH. Both are working fine.. haven't had any hardware hiccups! Enjoy your TP2 -- it's a powerhouse!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO / TP2

OMGWTF_BBQ is keeping up the good workOMGWTF_BBQ is keeping up the good workOMGWTF_BBQ is keeping up the good work

Mine's been working great since I got it in August 2009. But there are three minor issues that I've encountered.

The ONLY real hardware problem I've ever had with the device is SD Card related. I've got a 2GB Class 2 and while accessing my music from it using the Manila (TF3D) audio player it systematically pauses. This is a software malfunction, but it's in relation to hardware.
I also must underclock my SD card when I run a HaRet Linux Application, such as Ubuntu or Android.

-

There is also a form function flaw on the Touch Pro 2 Battery case. If you aren't careful you risk the possibility of cracking it near the stylus, mine eventually broke and a small shard snapped off.
When you take the backing off and put it back on you may notice a small bulge in that area. That's where you want to be wary, as repetitively removal and application of the backing will cause this.

Example:

-

Last but not least, Rainbow Banding. For some reason the resistive touch screen on the TP2 seems to burn with a rainbow like shimmer if used frequently.
The findings on this are inconclusive but it seems to be happening to more and more Touch Pro 2 users. 40% out of 283* have said their device has had the defect (Including I). I also once read this effected the first Touch Pro as well.

While it does 'burn' itself into the screen you will only notice it at certain angles and in bright lights.

Here's a thread with people claiming to be plagued by this problem.
It contains an example image as well.
I speculate that screen protectors are insulating the resistive screen and causing it to overheat and burn in-between the plastic layers.

-

Other than that, the Touch Pro 2's hardware is superb.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

my back housing cracked too, from frequent resets. A sprint store employee was nice enough to switch my back for the display at the store.
I think the rainbow banding is more a pocket issue. tight, hot pockets, plus maybe a screen protector, could be the issue.
I have used a screen protector since day one (oct 2009) and have no such banding.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tbolt - Bamf Remix 1.6 Oc'ed 1.3,DX - Apex 1.4

Padron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

this phone to me is awesome, even though i have had 3 replacements since feb.
the first problem was the download speed using opera/ie etc would get above 75kbps so vzw sent me a refurb the refurb had a bad keyboard the keys ''cvbn'' would stick. they sent me another one and there was a problems with the touch screen response, it wasnt accurate in the least bit.
the one i just got yesterday was my own fault i had rainbow banding on 90% of the screen, i cut the grass in 90+ degree weather with the phone in my carpenter/cell pocket listening to sirius and it must have gotten real hot due to the weather and streaming.

the soft reset issue, i just drilled a hole in the battery cover to avoid taking the cover off repeatedly.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTF_BBQ View Post
Mine's been working great since I got it in August 2009. But there are three minor issues that I've encountered.

The ONLY real hardware problem I've ever had with the device is SD Card related. I've got a 2GB Class 2 and while accessing my music from it using the Manila (TF3D) audio player it systematically pauses. This is a software malfunction, but it's in relation to hardware.
I also must underclock my SD card when I run a HaRet Linux Application, such as Ubuntu or Android.

-

There is also a form function flaw on the Touch Pro 2 Battery case. If you aren't careful you risk the possibility of cracking it near the stylus, mine eventually broke and a small shard snapped off.
When you take the backing off and put it back on you may notice a small bulge in that area. That's where you want to be wary, as repetitively removal and application of the backing will cause this.

Example:

-

Last but not least, Rainbow Banding. For some reason the resistive touch screen on the TP2 seems to burn with a rainbow like shimmer if used frequently.
The findings on this are inconclusive but it seems to be happening to more and more Touch Pro 2 users. 40% out of 283* have said their device has had the defect (Including I). I also once read this effected the first Touch Pro as well.

While it does 'burn' itself into the screen you will only notice it at certain angles and in bright lights.

Here's a thread with people claiming to be plagued by this problem.
It contains an example image as well.
I speculate that screen protectors are insulating the resistive screen and causing it to overheat and burn in-between the plastic layers.

-

Other than that, the Touch Pro 2's hardware is superb.
+1 on the cracked case cover. nothin a few bucks on ebay wont fix.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive 32GB MANGO (Sprint)
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular (Verizon)

dtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliptik View Post
I've had mine since last October, and the only issue Ive ever had was the headphone jack went out on me. Other than that no problems at all. Most of the other hardware "issues" I think are inflicted by mistreatment.
Ditto!

My headphone jack went out due to (ab)use. Caused havoc with making phone calls. Verizon replaced mine.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO / TP2

OMGWTF_BBQ is keeping up the good workOMGWTF_BBQ is keeping up the good workOMGWTF_BBQ is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
my back housing cracked too, from frequent resets. A sprint store employee was nice enough to switch my back for the display at the store.
I think the rainbow banding is more a pocket issue. tight, hot pockets, plus maybe a screen protector, could be the issue.
I have used a screen protector since day one (oct 2009) and have no such banding.
Same reason mine snapped. I've had to reset my device so many times it bit me back in return. Although now that I don't have the problem of the case buckling so I take joy in resetting my device. Reminds me that I actually do have some control over my phone.

"You want to crash on me?" *Battery Yank* "What now B%#^@!?"
-Rant from a WinMo user driven to insanity.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2