PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 05:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2 noob - random first questions

OK, just got my TP2 activated and used for half a day... new to TP2 and phone but very familiar with WM devices.

Some random issues, right away

1) The screen protector gets extremely dirty/smudgy. I dropped it (naturally) just as I peeled it off, so I washed it with a drop of detergent in warm water, rinsed, let it dry and applied it... I don't think the oily smudge is from soap - I think it's from fingers - just never seen it that bad. I think it's because of the type of shiny reflective plastic used for protector. I have a few Axim screen protectors left, they are softer and more "nonstick" on the surface - is there any danger in using non-OEM s/p ?

2) The phone application drives me nucking futs !!!! I don't want to call everybody with a single tap !!! It's way too easy to tap on someone's name while trying to scroll !!! Is there a way to set it to double-tap, or am I better off just going to a 3rd party dialer and if so which one (e.g. iContact+iDial) ?

3) I like HTC Calendar, it's fast and finger friendly, but why does it have to do times in big fat letters yet appointment subjects in tiny ones ? I didn't find a way to change fonts - is it even there ?

4) What would be the best way to make the TF Home screen - or whatever's the name of a screen with a clock - (which to my surprise I found pretty responsive and nice) coexist with PocketBreeze ?

5) I used a small task switcher / closing app called "e-Natives Showcase" on my Axim running WM6.1. Now from what I can see TP2 also runs 6.1 but this switcher doesn't work, it doesn't close anything and it hangs. What would you recommend for TP2 ? I know a good deal of task managers and used quite a few but most of them aren't all that finger friendly and had quite a bit of lag.

6) Oxios Hibernate doesn't free any memory and Oxios Close App doesn't seem to close any apps. Is this a known issue, and what else can I use ?

7) Any tips for preserving the battery ? (Other than turning off wifi and bt and doing the AS server trick).

And finally, is there a case that (1) clips to the belt and (2) allows to use the keyboard without taking the device out of the case ?

I do plan on going to a custom rom but for now I want to use the stock one.

Thanks !
Old 06-05-2010, 05:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves
Re: TP2 noob - random first questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amamba View Post
5) I used a small task switcher / closing app called "e-Natives Showcase" on my Axim running WM6.1. Now from what I can see TP2 also runs 6.1 but this switcher doesn't work, it doesn't close anything and it hangs. What would you recommend for TP2 ? I know a good deal of task managers and used quite a few but most of them aren't all that finger friendly and had quite a bit of lag.
there's nothin wrong with the task manager, so what you're experiencing there means something is majorly wrong. i highly recommend doing a hard reset or just flashing the sprint wm6.5 upgrade rom
Old 06-05-2010, 06:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorloves View Post
there's nothin wrong with the task manager, so what you're experiencing there means something is majorly wrong. i highly recommend doing a hard reset or just flashing the sprint wm6.5 upgrade rom
What task manager. The built in one works, I just don't like it. The Showcase that flies on Axim dies on TP2. But I found ArkSwitch that works fine. Just need to figure out how to invoke it the easiest way.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well, some more stupid noob stuff

Is turning "My Location" on (1 hr weather updates) going to have a noticeable effect on battery life ?

9) Never used Sense before... any way to remap Start button to go to Home view instead of Start menu ? There's little reason to have Home view if I need to hit a button then an icon to get there. It would make a nice start screen tho.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amamba View Post
Well, some more stupid noob stuff

Is turning "My Location" on (1 hr weather updates) going to have a noticeable effect on battery life ?

9) Never used Sense before... any way to remap Start button to go to Home view instead of Start menu ? There's little reason to have Home view if I need to hit a button then an icon to get there. It would make a nice start screen tho.
The weather updates shouldn't affect your battery life significantly. I've got them turned on, and I get incredible battery life with heavy uswage on top of that.

The red "End" button shjould take you to the Home Screen. If you still want the Start button to take you home, there's an app floating around that will let you remap any hardware key (including the keyboard keys) to whatever function you want. I'll see if I can attach the CAB here shortly.

EDIT* Here's the CAB for the keyboard (hardware keys) controller. you can view the original thread HERE for instructions, etc. If you haven't already, you'll also need to install the attached sdkcerts.CAB to allow the app to function properly (this is only needed when using a stock ROM, custom ROMs have the sdkcerts built in already)
Attached Files
File Type: cab SdkCerts.CAB (4.6 KB, 2 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: cab RhodiumKbdControl_CDMA.CAB (430.3 KB, 1 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Kliptik; 06-05-2010 at 08:46 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

for battery life, I suggest going to the stickies and downloading GT2L's cleanup cab for 6.1. It will maximize your battery settings, get rid of push internet, etc.
I thought arkswitch was more for 6.5 than 6.1???
I wouldn't upgrade to 6.5. Too many lag and freeze problems with the stock ROM. I would play with what you have, maybe try mobile shell, then go the custom ROM route.
http://www.ppcgeeks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88640

Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
for battery life, I suggest going to the stickies and downloading GT2L's cleanup cab for 6.1. It will maximize your battery settings, get rid of push internet, etc.
I thought arkswitch was more for 6.5 than 6.1???
I wouldn't upgrade to 6.5. Too many lag and freeze problems with the stock ROM. I would play with what you have, maybe try mobile shell, then go the custom ROM route.
http://www.ppcgeeks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88640
I could be wrong, but doesnt the cleanup CAB do more harm than good? or is that just the 6.5 cleanup CAB? I know ive heard of ppl wishing they handnt installed it, but it couldve bee nthe one for 6.5
Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliptik View Post
I could be wrong, but doesnt the cleanup CAB do more harm than good? or is that just the 6.5 cleanup CAB? I know ive heard of ppl wishing they handnt installed it, but it couldve bee nthe one for 6.5
that's the 6.5 one. I ran the 6.1 version for a few months before I started flashing custom and it worked great.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
that's the 6.5 one. I ran the 6.1 version for a few months before I started flashing custom and it worked great.
nice. thanks for the clarification!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I do have 6.5, came that way from Sprint. I didn't realize it at first since it has a start menu button on top and for some reason I thought 6.5 got away with it.

Kliptik,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will probably end up looking for TF3D replacement, the amount of memory it eats up is crazy. Do enjoy playing with it for now. Also started looking for a custom ROM to flash once 30 day return is gone, among other things I'd like replacing Opera Mobile with Mini and generally getting rid of stuff, just 60MB free on a 180 MB device isn't much once I put my apps in (PhatPad, ListPro, Calligrapher, PocketInformant, PocketBreeze, MortPlayer and a couple of others).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2