PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 05:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

Keir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Keir333 Send a message via Yahoo to Keir333 Send a message via Skype™ to Keir333
Re: Wet mogul problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly48237 View Post
i have opened up one before. the tool can be bought at any homedepot or lowes hardware store. i believe its a number 5 star allen bit. but it's important that you open it up and dry it out. otherwise when they get it and open it up, they will see that it was wet because the water will turn the wires and metal green. it doesn't matter if it doesn't come on or work. just as long as there isn't any signs of water damage inside the phone
It's a Number 5 Torx bit/driver that you need, not an Allen bit/wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhumanderelict View Post
The best thing I heard you can do is to leave it in some dry rice overnight (like anurbanlegand suggested) or, if you have enough of those silica gel packets, use those. Don't use a hair dryer or anything that can force moisture further into the phone.

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone
Both the dry rice and silica gel packs will dry out the insides by pulling the moisture out and absorbing it.

I would recommend the rice/silica overnight and then opening it up after that to make sure that there isn't any other signs that water/iced tea has been inside of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dj View Post
I got away with the white sticker turning red by touching it with a cottom swab embebbed in bleach one time, it turns white right away. they gave me a new phonem it worked!. lol

I like the idea of the bleach on the cotton swab, but if they smell the bleach, and/or have some way of knowing that it was bleached, it could cause you further problems cuz they might think that you're trying to pull one over on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrdrchvy2 View Post
You are both right. Wires and parts of the board corrode (turn green) and there is a liquid indicator inside the phone that turns red when it gets wet. The service techs are not supposed to purely go on the indicator to determine water damage, if they cant find any other signs of liquid damage they will usually replace it. So open it up, clean it up and take it in to get it swapped out.
My thoughts exactly.

I have had the liquid indicator on two different phones of mine turn red simply from being in my sweaty pocket over the course of the summer. This is the reason that they will open it up and look for additional evidence that there has been water damage. If you open it and clean it up enough that there isn't obvious signs of water damage, they may replace it without any additional charges.

Just my thoughts on the matter...

-Keir-

EDIT: This was my hundreth post, I'm a senior member now....Wooo Hooo!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:52 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Hmm I'm not sure about that. Most of the reps I've seen for Alltel see the red dot and say "bam, no warranty."
Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

Keir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to Keir333 Send a message via Yahoo to Keir333 Send a message via Skype™ to Keir333

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Hmm I'm not sure about that. Most of the reps I've seen for Alltel see the red dot and say "bam, no warranty."
Not sure what Alltel would say about the red dot.

The phones that I had which both had the red dot, were with Midwest Wireless, who was bought out by Alltel. I have noticed since Alltel took over that they are less forgiving about things when it comes to their customer service.

Regardless though, I never brought either one of those phones in for replacement because they were never water damaged and never stopped working. I had just noticed that both of them had the red dot indicating that they had been exposed to water, even though I know they never were.

I just figured that if you insisted that the red dot was not caused by the phone being submerged and/or spilled on, that they could open it up to check for any other signs of water exposure. Where as using bleach, if discovered by them may not show a red dot, but would definitely be a red flag that something out of the ordinary is going on.

-Keir-
Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

You're better off, just "losing" it. I know that is wrong, but so is trying to hide the fact that it got wet.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Tweety...Bear (chick)
Pocket PC: EVO

TweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TweetyBear Send a message via Yahoo to TweetyBear

yeah, just call insurance claim for it. i kinda agree with jason25..>_<

Old 09-15-2008, 09:21 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pvelliqtc is a n00b

I heard somewhere that you should use a vaccuum first to try to draw some moisture out, then put in a bowl of dry white rice over night. I've never had to try it, thankfully...
Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Tweety...Bear (chick)
Pocket PC: EVO

TweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TweetyBear Send a message via Yahoo to TweetyBear

i never heard of the vacuum trick but if it works, i'll add it to my list!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Actually a vaccuum cleaner would create ESD so that is a bad idea. Stick with the rice.

And Alltel still has great CS IMO (even if not in the stores because it takes forever, but they are working on that too). I mean that is why when I worked for a dealer I said you better get insurance not so we can make money but so you can protect your butt.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: SPRINT
Threadstarter

ajent is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to ajent Send a message via AIM to ajent Send a message via MSN to ajent Send a message via Yahoo to ajent

I left it in the bag of rice last night, put in the battery today, and the screen slowly faded back into view.
Keyboard, touchscreen, and calling all seems to work.
Thanks for the idea, I guess I got lucky!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700

djheir is keeping up the good workdjheir is keeping up the good work

I set my phone down in about an inch of water (cup leaked in my cupholder) and it was there for a good 20 minutes. As soon as I got home, I took the battery out, tried to soak up as much of the water as I could with a towel, and then left it in a bag of rice for about a day and a half. It's been working just fine ever since.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan