PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: VZW XV6900
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

DJFerris is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Re: Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Changes Device Name to WINDOWSMOBILE#

Hi,

I've just switched to Vista at home, and am having problems that are (I think) related to the the spontaneous changing of the Device Name. I have one WM6 phone (VZW XV6900) that I synchronize both with my office PC and my home PC.

The office PC runs WinXP SP2, with ActiveSync v4.5. The home PC runs Vista Ultimate SP1 (64-bit), with Mobile Device Center v6.1. Both have Chapura PocketMirror Professional for Windows, v2.24 installed. (I use this to keep personal contacts & appointments from syncing to my office PC).

I sync with my office PC fine the 1st time. Then, when I sync with my home PC (with Mobile Device Center), the sync goes fine, but the Device Name has been changed.

Now, the next time I try to sync with my office PC, I get this message:
PocketMirror has detected that you are synchronizing with the same mailbox at a different PC from which you last synchronized. To ensure your data is safely handled, PocketMirror will ask you if you want to Combine or Replace the data on your handheld with this PC.

I think this is because of the changed Device Name. I didn't have the problem before, when I had WinXP & ActiveSync v4.5 at both PCs

So, I hope cjegan2008 is right, and there's an update coming soon. Otherwise, does anyone know if I can edit the registry on the handheld and Vista machines to change the Device Name back??

Regards,
Dewayne Ferris
Old 08-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

banzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to banzaiwolfe
Re: Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Changes Device Name to WINDOWSMOBILE#

It's possible they may fix it, but I don't know if I trust that guy to be honest. First he's a support tech, then he's fixing code in WMDC, then he's rewriting SP1? Sounds a little fishy to me, especially about the video drivers.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: VZW XV6900
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

DJFerris is a n00b
Smile Re: Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Changes Device Name to WINDOWSMOBILE#

I finally found a solution I can live with. As long as I don't try to change the "Friendly Name" of either PC, and leave the mobile device name as WMDC set it (UTStarcom94), things seem to be working again. I'd love to see this improved someday, but in the meantime I can get my work done.

Regards,
Dewayne Ferris
Old 08-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Changes Device Name to WINDOWSMOBILE#

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_goldentiger View Post
thats right,"changes all the time" when I plug the phone at work
changes to production
it doesn`t affect
Mine only does it after a new flash. It always goes to WM-s****** (my login username). After the first sync, I change the device name and it connects as whatever I name it. Not really a big deal for me.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon

StevenLawyer is a n00b

This appears to only happen if there is an underscore as a character in the Device Name. Try renaming the device without using an underscore.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan