PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

bigmikemn is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Changes Device Name to WINDOWSMOBILE#

Has anyone else seen this happen? I have an HTC Mogul (Currently with DCD 3.2.2). I have the device named what I want. When I sync it with my Outlook using Vista and Windows Mobile Device Center, the Device Name (In Settings > About) Changes to a WINDOWSMOBILE# (#= a number)

Has anyone seen this or found a fix? I have been searching for months with no luck.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:17 AM
ACSyndicate.net
Pocket PC: Epic

flyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Skype™ to flyers2114
Re: Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Changes Device Name to WINDOWSMOBILE#

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikemn View Post
Has anyone else seen this happen? I have an HTC Mogul (Currently with DCD 3.2.2). I have the device named what I want. When I sync it with my Outlook using Vista and Windows Mobile Device Center, the Device Name (In Settings > About) Changes to a WINDOWSMOBILE# (#= a number)

Has anyone seen this or found a fix? I have been searching for months with no luck.

Yes it is common....changes all the time....why do you need a fix?........it does not affect the phone at all....

I also should note it only "changes all the time" when you are continuously flashing like me.....lol

Last edited by flyers2114; 07-17-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: SprintPCS

the_goldentiger is keeping up the good workthe_goldentiger is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to the_goldentiger
Re: Vista - Windows Mobile Device Center - Changes Device Name to WINDOWSMOBILE#

thats right,"changes all the time" when I plug the phone at work
changes to production
it doesn`t affect
Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Lurker

cjegan2008 is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to cjegan2008 Send a message via Yahoo to cjegan2008

To be completely honest, i have no idea why it would do that. I work for Microsoft as a windows vista support tech, and i have a lot of calls come in about that very issue. I had one person call in and say windows was not recognizing the program because of the pound sigh. Im going to redo the code within device center and see what i can do to fix this.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:44 PM
ACSyndicate.net
Pocket PC: Epic

flyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Skype™ to flyers2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjegan2008 View Post
To be completely honest, i have no idea why it would do that. I work for Microsoft as a windows vista support tech, and i have a lot of calls come in about that very issue. I had one person call in and say windows was not recognizing the program because of the pound sigh. Im going to redo the code within device center and see what i can do to fix this.

Oh man I am going to beat you up now that you entered the site.....lol......WMDC on Vista has tons of problems that drive me nuts....it is flaky as can be.....what is the issue that sometimes it will not sync the contacts.. it will sync calendar, tasks and everything else but skip contatcts..also does not always recognize the device.....drops in midstream randomly...I have worked around these things but man it is flaky....are they going to be making improvements to it soon I hope.....
Old 07-18-2008, 01:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

bigmikemn is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjegan2008 View Post
Let me know if you need some testing done
Old 07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Lurker

cjegan2008 is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to cjegan2008 Send a message via Yahoo to cjegan2008

Ok. Microsoft is going to be releasing another update for people who have windows mobile device center installed on windows vista. I completely have re-done the windows vista SP1 by editing the base files. If anyone has SP1, be expecting an update very soon. Heres a hint for some Windows mobile users, shhhhh.... Microsoft is going to release video driver updates for th HTC Touch and the HTC Mogul. When I am not sure, but I heard the level 4 research team is making OEM files to enable these features. They are also closely working with Adobe and Sun to make a JAVA VM for windows mobile devices to help enable full website flash content and JAVA capabilities. Right now it is hush hush, but I hope to see progress soon.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: VZW

SMBowen is a n00b

I have a Vogue (Touch) on VzW and have been having this problem and I agree it doesn't cause any "issues" with the phone...however it is really f'n annoying because I personalize my Device Name because it is what is used as the name to be displayed when connected via Bluetooth.

Hope there is a fix!

-sm
Old 08-08-2008, 06:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

bigmikemn is a n00b

Agreed!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

frejos is keeping up the good workfrejos is keeping up the good work

Yes, this happens to me as well. It is really more annoying than anything else, because this is also the name available to bluetooth devices (among other things I'm sure). For instance, when I connect to my 'MyGig' in my Jeep it says "WindowsMobile33" instead of the name I recorded for / or gave my device.

This would be akin to something arbitrarily changing your desktop computer name, which it shouldn't!

Chronobis - OWA Synchronization v0.7.0.13
Connects Directly to OWA
Download Appointments, Contacts, and Tasks
Visit http://www.chronobis.com for more details...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan