PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 07:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible/Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

BetaMan is keeping up the good workBetaMan is keeping up the good workBetaMan is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: What's the best mobile internet browser?

I too, betatest Skyfire and it is pretty cool. Just downloaded Opera Mini 4.1 and it seems to be pretty cool as well. I have purchased Nescape everytime they updated it until the last 2 It IS a memory hog!!!! Sometimes, it would lock up my device!

To me, Opera Mini and Skyfire are very similar. Only been testing Skyfire for a few days and just got Opera Mini. Right now, it's a tough call... Both seem to work better than PIE though.

Verizon Droid Incredible => Touch Pro 2 => XV6800 => XV6700 => XV6600
Old 05-10-2008, 09:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

Osteo is becoming a great contributor

Got my SF beta yesterday, and while I'll keep it for a while longer, Opera Mini is my browser of choice, even for forums as I'm reading and posting from it right now!

SF is just too slow to render the page while moving around for my taste and the TCPMP with the flash bundle plays vids much better then SF in my opinion (but you do need to drop to PIE to get that combo to work)...
Old 05-12-2008, 04:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6800
Carrier: Alltel

DerekV is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteo View Post
Got my SF beta yesterday, and while I'll keep it for a while longer, Opera Mini is my browser of choice, even for forums as I'm reading and posting from it right now!

SF is just too slow to render the page while moving around for my taste and the TCPMP with the flash bundle plays vids much better then SF in my opinion (but you do need to drop to PIE to get that combo to work)...
I agree, when I do use youtube its via IE and TCPMP. Video is way choppy within skyfire.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: T Mobile

cykococo is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to cykococo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoenike View Post
In my personal opinion, and i've used alot of different browsers on my mogul. (pie, pieplus, opera mobile 8.65, opera mobile 9.405 beta, netfront 3.5, piscel, iris, opera mini 4.1 beta and skyfire beta) The one i find that give the best full desktop type browsing experience is opera mini 4.1. Skyfire is very good also, but its a closed beta. Netfront 3.5 and opera mobile definately let you do more with options like tabbed browsing, selecting text, flash plugin, and they're not a server based browser like opera mini. But i always seem to get memory errors with opera mobile, netfront and piscel. For my browsing needs, opera mini 4.1 works best for me. Its very fast and the newish 4.1 version added some nice features that we're missing. Its not perfect, but well worth the try. dschoenike
I agree, Opera Mini 4.1 is best out of all of the above. I recently flashed the new test rom and it is faster than ever and is as close as we can get to iPhone web browser till Instinct is released...

Old 05-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles

Skyfire is slow, but its faster and more functional than other browsers, IMO. PIE is generally useless, Opera Mini uglifies all web pages, Opera Mobile is ugly itself and a memory hog, Picsel is nice but slow, Netfront is kinda slow and crappy, etc.

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

ajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to ajones7279 Send a message via Yahoo to ajones7279

Skyfire. I'm loving it. I d/l'ed it about 2 days ago and new from the moment I started using it, It would become my default browser. If I need to download something, I'll go to Opera Mobile. Its fast but not as fast as Skyfire. yea the page rendering can be somewhat slow at times when you're zoomed in but its not all that slow. As far as youtube, I use youtubeplay for that so thats not a factor. I love being able to watch videos on zshare and other videos from flash sites, and sometimes they play almost flawless. Skyfire brings up pages so much quicker than all my other browsers. Like facebook for example. It takes ages to load facebook on every other browser I've tried and skyfire loads it in an instant. They need to work on a desktop browser too
Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 PM
N00b

crise is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to crise Send a message via Yahoo to crise

What version of Esmertec Jbed are you guys using to run Opera mini, I've been having some trouble with java lately...
Old 05-15-2008, 07:52 PM
VIP Member

aznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuff

+1 for Skyfire. I love that it renders pages like desktop. I can even view trailers on yahoo.com. Although video is slow there's still no other browser that can do this. The only thing I don't particularly like is that it goes through a server so I still use PIE for my online banking.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

I will go with consensus here.
For web surfing, I have to say skyfire. For filling in data on webforms, I have to go with netfront 3.5 as well as some chat rooms work in netfront. For videos on your phone, go with flash video bundle...at least for the major ones. For the others, use skyfire (except on youtube...atrocious viewing on youtube)
Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 PM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

+1 SkyFire.
I don't do Youtube so I don't care about the choppy vids. I do like that it has a embedded media player for streaming radio and a few other things about it.
I think its on the right path. Navigating from site to site is fairly fast but scrolling on a page after zoomed in does load kinda slow.
As of the past few days its been my default browser and I don't see myself changing back any time soon.......

Last edited by Lsme420; 05-15-2008 at 08:25 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan