PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 10:23 AM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro
Re: Sprint business data plans for the Mogul?

Yeah, I think Sprint is pulling one on businesses, with this.

Unless they're offering a hosted Exchange service (i.e., Exchange Server 2007 hosting by Sprint, for personal/small business usage) via ActiveSync network that would be understandable for charging for the Access.

BUT

If you are being charged the extra $30 and you are using your company's "own" exchange server, for ActiveSync network access. Then something is wrong.
ActiveSync is free.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul PPC-6800

theBside is just getting started

JJBusch -
This Sprint rep you talked to is feeding you a line. That $30.00 plan is probably his all inclusive plan. My company currently has an account with Sprint that has 600 phone lines. We have quite a few Treo's, Moguls, and Moto Q's all using activesync to access our exchange mail. The data plan that we have, albeit it doesn't include navigation, is for unlimited data and unlimited text messaging, costs us $15.00 a month. I believe we got a deal on the text messaging, because all phone lines I now add to the account only get the unlimited data for $15.00 a month and I need to add texting for anywhere between $5.00 and $10.00 a month.

Now the sprint rep that you spoke to may be giving you a $30.00 price tag depending on what you have asked for, and for lack of wanting to explain it to you fed you that line about activesync. Send me what plan (Data, Text, Navigation, etc) you are looking to get on your phone and I will talk to my rep and see what they say.

You may also want to post your location and possibly someone on here has a rep that they may want to throw your way.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jjbusch is a n00b

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I was pretty sure the sprint rep really didn't know what she was talking about... but wanted to make sure I had my "ducks in a row" before I confronted her on it. I have a phone conversations scheduled with her and a "data expert" in an hour.

Just to give everyone a bit more of an understanding of our situation... we have almost 200 phones on sprint/nextel. We don't have alot of phones with data, as most of our fleet is nextel w/ direct connect.

We host Exchange in house and have had windows mobile devices connecting to it for about 18 months now.

I have my own personal mogul with the $15 data plan on it, and have been receiving email via activesynch with my Exchange server since I purchased it. Before that, I was using a MotoQ on the same $15 data plan.

As for the navigation, the Sprint Telenav is the "Simple" solution, as users have started to discover it after updating some of their devices to the latest ROM, and it is "out of the box". We don't want to spend $$ or time resources providing other solutions, it just doesn't pencil out for us.

bottom line, it looks like if you are a business customer, you get "special" pricing on certain services like data... I guess that is why we get charged $30 for a data plan that should cost $15 or $20. hmmm....
Old 03-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO™ 3D

furiousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good work

wait? if you have data plan why are you paying for there Telenav Just download google maps or live on each phone and your good to go.

with the data plan there shouldn't be any charges other than Telenav. Just get basic data plan only and that should work on GPS and downloading email.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jjbusch is a n00b

I don't like walking into meetings un-prepared... just thought this might help someone else understand this better regarding data plan requirements to use activesync.

The following is from a technet article: "Stay Better Connected with Exchange ActiveSync"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc161030.aspx

No Special Data Plan or Subscription
When your user buys a new EAS-compatible (EAS = Exchange ActiveSync) device, he needs only a standard data plan to access Exchange e-mail. You can buy as much data access as needed, and ActiveSync functionality is available globally though standard data access phone service.
I recently used this capability during a trip to Italy. I have a data plan with a US-based GSM service. When I arrived in Italy, my brother gave me one of his GSM SIM cards and I was up and running. I didn’t even have to change my ActiveSync settings!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jjbusch is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousgtz View Post
wait? if you have data plan why are you paying for there Telenav Just download google maps or live on each phone and your good to go.

with the data plan there shouldn't be any charges other than Telenav. Just get basic data plan only and that should work on GPS and downloading email.

good question. Our users are liking the turn by turn navigation, and I guess it even speaks to them... We are ok paying for it, at the actual price of $20 for data with navigation. I just don't think we should be paying $30/mo on each line for services we can't even use... $80/mo extra for absolutely nothing doesn't quite add up to good business.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:04 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

If you have your own exchange server, don't let them sell you on any bull**** that you need some special data plan in order to access it. I'd say just get whatever unlimited data plan is cheapest (along with any other features you want like text, etc.).

I don't have a stock ROM on my phone, but I thought they also come with Live Search built in now. If so, nobody will have to spend any time or money updating phones. It might not be quite as simple for a navigation solution as Telenav, but it is free and built in. Plus it has lots of extras like gas prices, local search, etc.

Edit: looks like you were posting as I wrote that. Sounds like you're ready for that phone conference

Last edited by bedoig; 03-26-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jjbusch is a n00b

I actually use live search on mine.

I think it is better than Google maps because it gives you turn by turn and actually beeps at you when you should make your turn. I also like the fact that if I stray off course, it will give me the option to re-calculate my route from my current location - something that google maps does not do to my knowledge.

In the seattle area, I've also found that Live Search does better at interpreting traffic volumes on the freeways.

With that said, I've already had a couple of users tell me that they "Love" the telenav... I'm not going to take it away from them.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO™ 3D

furiousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbusch View Post
good question. Our users are liking the turn by turn navigation, and I guess it even speaks to them... We are ok paying for it, at the actual price of $20 for data with navigation. I just don't think we should be paying $30/mo on each line for services we can't even use... $80/mo extra for absolutely nothing doesn't quite add up to good business.
I think all you need is unlimited vision access on each Mogul and I know for sure its not $30. Call Sprint and don't even mention GPS or anything just say need to add that service to your plan and remove all the other services.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jjbusch is a n00b

Just thought you all would like this response from our sprint rep... I am a bit amazed and more than a little tiffed....

After further research.
If you require ActiveSync for Exchange the price is $30.00 per month for the below features.

Jeff, for your plan, if you are using POP3, the $15.00 will work. If Exchange, the $25 or $30 applies.

Since price is an issue for you, let’s do a simple comparison.

Verizon charges $99.99 for 900 cellular minutes and unlimited email access
Sprint is charging you $59.99 for 1,000 cellular minutes with $30.00 Data plan. This is $10.00 cheaper per month, plus we grant you 100 more minutes that share. Additionally, I have agreed to sit down with **** to reduce your overall rate plans to lower your costs even more. Additionally, I mentioned that I would change the $30.00 to the $25.00 we offered a few months back.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan