PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

laser92awd is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question PdaNet usb FAST vs bluetooth SLOW

Hello,

I have a Mogul with the Rev A rom and PdaNet v1.80 (also tried 1.81beta).

With PdaNet tethered to my laptop via USB cable, my connection is solid (it stays connected) and speedtest results gave me 1250mbps dl / 200mbps ul which I am totally satisifed with.

But my laptop has a BT 2.0 receiver and although it will connect right up via Activesync and PdaNet (using BT port COM5), my best speedtest is 335mbps dl / 202mbps ul. The dl speed is only about a quarter of the USB method while the ul is about the same. It's like I'm capped on the dl speed somehow.

Also, after just a few minutes I loose my activesync connection when on BT even if the phone and laptop are right next to each other which kills my connection. <-this is obviously a dealbreaker regardless of speed

If anybody knows anything I can try, I'd sure love to get the BT method working. My BT range is awesome, I can easily walk to the other end of the house from the phone and still get internet. I'd love to take advantage of that and have a truly wireless system, but 335mbps and dropped connections are not going to cut it.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Jonathan
Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Lurker

Too Hot is a n00b
Re: PdaNet usb FAST vs bluetooth SLOW

Yeah the bluetooth isnt fast what so ever
Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Let me count thy wounds
Pocket PC: Photon 4G

blasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Yahoo to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Skype™ to blasphemous_prime

yes, any device with a 3G network can be used as a broadband modem without the Phone As Modem fees... that's the [true] beauty of it. i still use 1.80 and it does me well, but i'll try the 1.81 beta in due time.
If you are literally serving shit to American children, or knowingly spinning a wheel where it is not unlikely that you will eventually serve shit – if that’s your business model? Then I got no problems with a jury of your peers wiring your nuts to a car battery and feeding you the accumulated sweepings from the bottom of a monkey cage. In fact, I’ll hold the spoon.” -Ralph Dunlop-
Old 03-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I loose my connection with BT also when I use PDAnet. I dont know why that is.

So I just use the USB all the time. Besides it charge the phone.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

In my experience with BT2.0, the connection seems to top out at about 1100 kbps. Not always enough to keep up with Rev A speeds, but usually adequate. I can't say why you're getting low speeds over BT. You're sure that your computer has bluetooth 2.0? Those speeds were about what I'd get on BT1.X with my old Apache. Maybe PDANet places some weird artificial limit on the BT connection. I always use the built in Internet Sharing for bluetooth tethering. Have you tried that? One other possibility is that you just lost some bandwidth through the cellular connection. Wireless data speeds can vary a lot (even in the same location) as demand on the towers changes, signal strength changes, etc.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:47 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul
Threadstarter

laser92awd is a n00b

Ok, here's what I can tell you.

Speeds were averaged over a 2 day test period so I know they indicate a huge discrepency if nothing else.

I am 100% certain my bluetooth receiver is 2.0.

My system is very basic and clean, I mainly just check email and do very light browsing, no viruses or spyware.

I could probably live with the reduced speed if the connection didn't abrubtly drop. When it drops I loose activesync. Sometimes I can click Connect via Bluetooth and reconnect. Other times it involves closing > reopening activesync or even soft booting the phone. It doesn't seem to be a range issue at all. Using the usb cable I could stay connected all day if I wanted to, it's clearly a bluetooth related issue.

The laptop looses its mobility when tethered via a cable which is why I wanted to go to bluetooth.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

gameross is a n00b

Dump PDANet all together. Hate the way ya have to use Activesync to even use it.

Get WMWiFiRouter. Turns your phone into a WiFi Internet access point.

http://www.wmwifirouter.com/

Works quite well and you can use it with multiple devices at the same time just by connecting to it like most any other wireless router.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:14 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: evo 4g
Carrier: sprint

nene212 is a n00b

I have pdanet and i like it. I tried some other one using USB modem but i didn't like it. I find that my speeds are about 900 to 1M and 220 upload speed. My co-worker was using bluetooth until we compared speeds. Bluetooth is not very fast at all.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

themaster is a n00b

I have done significant testing on this lately..

One of the conclusions I came up with at least in my current area.. is that Bluetooth is not stable (though this new rom's bluetooth is much better) basically don't expect a connection to last 24 hours of use or maybe even 2 hours of use.. (and I do mean use as in actually pulling data) the USB seems better every time.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan