PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 05:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro & Moto Droid
Carrier: Sprint (Work) Verizon (Personal)

The_Lunatic is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up

I installed this a couple of hours ago. I'll report back later on my results. Thanks again guys for all of the hard work. True Heros in the PPC Geek world!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker

sfaure03 is a n00b
Hows can i put this...

This is NEITHER 2.16 NOR 2.09.

2.16, and 2.09 Used a different OS AKU build than we have here. Fundamentally this is a different BUILD of the Windows OS than has been used on this device {except no2chem's use over the last couple of weeks}.

A build of a ROM comes with two core components. First the Operating System. This comes from Microsoft. The second part are the Drivers and specialized applications that are ADDED to the operating system which are provided by the Vendor and the Carrier.

What we have put together here is a DIFFERENT operating system core {AKU.7} from Microsoft that was intended for a different device alongside the applications and drivers thate HTC and Sprint put out for version 2.09 of their release. This makes up for a very different experience.

Our "feel" for this is that on the 2.09 HTC/Sprint ROM release the drivers and applications were really not "bad" but that they utilized some of the applications from the operating system {from microsoft} that were, shall we say, less than adequate.

Then, HTC/Sprint went off and tried to "compensate" for the issues they saw in the operating system and its implementation on the hardware on HTC/Sprints release of 2.16. This compensations fixes etc, were, to say the least, a fiasco.

We "think" what we have packaged here is a better "match up" between an operating system {from microsoft AKU .7 build 18333} that works rather well with the drivers and applications that were released by HTC/Sprint as part of the 2.09 release.

We "tried" different combinations but pairing the newer AKU .7 from microsoft gave us the same "power" issues that have been seen and commented on. The best combination we found was what we pushed out to you all this morning, and it appears to work rather well.

So, comparing other combinations and results to this test-rom isnt really adequate. We think the core problems in the combination sent out by htc/sprint on the phone and in their flash {2.09} was really pretty decent, it just suffered from two items.

1. The bluetooth voice quality was choppy and would often degrade over time.
2. The phone would not "wake up" for an alarm.

after we spent a long time trying to get the "blue tooth" quality that was resolved as part of the 2.16 release from htc to work without power {connection} issues, by plugging and unplugging drivers and settings from other phones and releases, we decided to punt and try a different attack.

We went back to the 2.09 release of the rom, and tried to find a combination that improved the bluetooth. This was because under the 2.09 rom there were few connection and power issues. At the time we started this part, we noted that no2chem had published a very very nice rom that was very "snappy" in performance. So after we built up a base 2.09 rom kitchen and installation, that gave us a phone that never disconnected, but had "crappy voice quality" we said "what the heck" lets start by stealing the OS version out of no2chems install and get a "snappier" performing phone that doesnt have the voice quality issues.

So.. we did that. we applied the aku .7 from no2chem to the 2.09 drivers. And presto, we had a much "snappier" phone, that had good connection disconnection. Next step.. Find a way to have good bluetooth voice quality.

So.. We made a base line.. Lets test the quality we have on this setup as it sit.

HOLLY SCHMOLLY.. PRESTO.... The voice quality was definately ACCEPTABLE. Good, naw, probably not, but DEFINATELY better than anything seen or heard of from the 2.09 release version....

We tested for 2 days, because quite frankly, we could not believe the results we were seeing.. But indeed the results were consistent via several users.

After that we all discussed it, and decided to push this out to you all for further testing.

So.. Memory issues? well as we have a different OS, all BETS ARE OFF. Time and you're experiences will tell us whether its better or worse.. we look forward to hearing from you.

Alarm issue. Quite frankly we were mostly concerned about the blue tooth connection issue and voice quality. We were/are so excited about that "improvement" that we decided what the heck.. Lets just GO with this for now, and we'll start toying around w/ looking at wheter we can fix up the alaarms. Heck, test it PLEASE, ya might find, like we did, that the issue went away with the AKU/OS verseion swap out, and no further actions are gonna be necessary.

The people involved in testing this will continue to test.. We look forward to hearing you're results... But, all our tests show, this is a **mn sight better than any other combination we've played with.. Give it a go for us..

C-ya.

Oh, on an additional NOTE. I'd like the WHOLE community to note that this post and explanation includes the words "WE". Most all of the people involved in ROM-Burning and tweaking for the Mogul were involved and contributed to this work.. Bar NONE.. Including DCD, whether they KNEW it or not. The whole community here and over at xda-developers contributed to this, and several people were deeply involved in direct testing but a LOT of people were doing a LOT of different things. The success/failure of these attempts is/should be attributed to ALL OF US who play with this phone. We ALL need to take "credit" for this, and try to stop this petty bickering over credit. Lets get this CLEAR. NONE OF US are writing this stuff from the ground up, and ALL OF US are standing up on the work and HOURS of testing that OTHERS have done. Its a joint effort, and a huge sharing of knowledge in an OPEN atmosphere that makes things like this possible. I'd really like to see a lot more "openness" and a lot less name calling, if I had my wish. So, rather than a DONATE button, I'm gonna ask that we all take a few seconds each time we get readay to push the "POST" button and consider, are we fueling another battle zone with this, or contributing to discussions..

ok.. I'm done with my rant.

Last edited by sfaure03; 11-19-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: sprint

biglee is just getting started
great job. It seems pretty stable and sound fairly clear on the BT. I actually used the audiopara changes to make it a bit louder and that made this the most stable rom I've seen since i had the phone.

You should all be commended for the hard work in making this phone usable.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g
Carrier: Sprint

Tenny is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTenny is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTenny is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Tenny
Awesome work guys, now once you get the alarm fixed I'll be switching! (That's a main thing for me)
Old 11-19-2007, 09:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

NissanGuy01 is a n00b
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your time and efforts. It is greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker

nosmohtac is becoming a great contributor
I just upgraded to this ROM, but it shows 2.16 when it reboots. Is this correct? I noticed your post explaining that this ROM is neither 2.16 or 2.09. Should it say 2.16 during the reboot?

Last edited by nosmohtac; 11-19-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond

rycelover is just getting started
Hows can i put this...

Is this why after installing Colonel's Nov18 rom, my 6800 indicates that I have 2.14? Or maybe we're talking apples and oranges?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: sprint

biglee is just getting started
I did have an odd thing happen this afternoon. I made a long call to one of my sales reps and after i hung up, the phone lost service and would get it back. I soft reset and all was well again. I made another shorter call and hung up and all was normal.

could it have been the rom? Not sure, but I'll see if it persists. I may have been the area, but I doubt it as I usually have service in that area very well.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pgdeaner is a n00b
Thank you and congratulations!

Dishe, Sfaure03, and everyone else who was involved building and testing this ROM;

I'd like to thank you for helping to restore some of my confidence in the community here. It's incredible what can be accomplished when a group of smart individuals put their minds to solving a problem without concern for politics or other childishness.

You have done a huge service to this community if you have done nothing other than show that teamwork, sharing of ideas and persistence is what is needed here rather than complaining, arguing, and ego stroking.

My sincere thanks for your hard work on this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
WE DID IT!
Or at least, I think so... updated the first post with more info, but in short, the BT from the touch WASN'T the answer after all!

It appears that 2.09 was a decent build, but it had the quality problem. Instead of trying to fix it at the source, Sprint/HTC dropped the BT drivers from the touch (which didn't have a problem) into a new rom which DID fix the BT voice quality problem, but had all sorts of new compatibility problems, which was our 2.16 rom. This is one theory, at least.
In any case, this new build seems pretty stable.
Try the link in the first post, and test it!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker

sfaure03 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycelover View Post
Hows can i put this...

Is this why after installing Colonel's Nov18 rom, my 6800 indicates that I have 2.14? Or maybe we're talking apples and oranges?
the version you see comes from ONE file in ONE directory.

Colonel and the rest of us are using a wide combination of different things.

I think colonel is using a lot of stuff still from the altel {2.14} rom, and that is why you see that. But he's the one to ask that of directly.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan