PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: who knows
Carrier: probably sprint

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No2Chem nueROM 0.2 b2034

NEW VERSION, UPDATE: FIXES slow boot issue. Fixes USB issue. SYS files updated to AKU 0.7, XIPKERNEL still at AKU 0.2.3, XIP at AKU 0.7.0

There is a new 0.3 ALPHA posted on the ftp - I'm going out on a limb here, but - I've checked it and it's pretty stable.
0.3 ALPHA has all files in XIP updated to AKU 0.7 status, except for nk.exe. I obviously need some people to double check it, but it seems to be ok thus far. THE KERNEL IS NOT AKU 0.7. Everything else is, so it would be interesting to see if it resolves anything. It is CE OS 5.2.1921.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD, if you don't like flashing your phone often, or need your phone every second. There is a possbility that IT MAY CRASH, EXPLODE, etc your phone. It is not fully tested yet. Please give me input as to how it works for you so we know what it fixes / breaks. If it crashes, please let me know, and any details.

Thanks!

To download, you'll find it in my directory on the ftp:
ftp://ppcgeeks:ezupload@up.ppcgeeks..../Users/No2Chem

I'm open to suggestions, so let me know...

Last edited by no2chem; 10-28-2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
This sounds pretty good. I like what you've put together. Had I not just gone through flashing and hard resetting my device a second time, I'd give this one a try. Maybe in a week or so when I'm bored with my installation I'll give this one a shot. Definitely some good ideas in there.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ddd
Carrier: ddd

nilisco is a n00b
Any reason for the 4mb pagepool? Overall, it does seem to make the device slower.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by klurf8881 View Post
one big suggestion dont use the 10 button comm manager that GSM stuff doesnt play well with the mogul from past experience personally and in here. Stock comm manager is best option. Besides that if you polish it up id use it for sure.
ive cooked roms with the wizard or the kaiser comm manager included, and they seem to run fine. i was skeptical but im starting to agree with dishe that some things (ie x-button, threaded sms) just seem to run happier from ROM. comm manager may be one of them too.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:59 PM
to0
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Cricket

to0 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to to0
Problem with the 10-button comm manager is the WiFi option, since we have a hardware switch...
Old 10-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level
Quote:
Originally Posted by klurf8881 View Post
one big suggestion dont use the 10 button comm manager that GSM stuff doesnt play well with the mogul from past experience personally and in here. Stock comm manager is best option. Besides that if you polish it up id use it for sure.
I haven't had any problems running the 10 button comm manager. The wi-fi has issues since we have a hardware switch, but other than that no conflicts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilisco View Post
Any reason for the 4mb pagepool? Overall, it does seem to make the device slower.
More program memory would be the reason for 4mb pagepool. It doesn't really seem to make the device run slower at all, just a slow startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd View Post
ive cooked roms with the wizard or the kaiser comm manager included, and they seem to run fine. i was skeptical but im starting to agree with dishe that some things (ie x-button, threaded sms) just seem to run happier from ROM. comm manager may be one of them too.
You know, i think you're right - I think programs that were designed to be in the rom run a little better from the rom, such as comm manager and the dialer. Are reads from the rom faster for some reason?...
Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
I'd have to agree that adding the X-Button and codyppc's threaded SMS into this would probably allow them to run a little smoother, not to mention they just seem like necessities to me. The system's useless without X-Button, and the built-in SMS is dreadful.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:52 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by no2chem View Post
You know, i think you're right - I think programs that were designed to be in the rom run a little better from the rom, such as comm manager and the dialer. Are reads from the rom faster for some reason?...
i sure cant come up with a reason why reads would be faster from rom, but im a noob. real world example indicates that things load faster. i suppose i could justify why a file might be slower to read when it "overwrites" a ROM copy (obviously the copy in ROM is not really overwritten, the filesystem discards it and looks to the new location)
Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
I'd have to agree that adding the X-Button and codyppc's threaded SMS into this would probably allow them to run a little smoother, not to mention they just seem like necessities to me. The system's useless without X-Button, and the built-in SMS is dreadful.
I like wkTask more, so I might end up putting that in. Typically I use the threaded SMS in pocketCM, but I can see why people might not want pocketCM - it tends to lag a bit. I'll see to adding this stuff when I have time.

On the rom speed issue, it may be that because items in ROM are marked read only WM is able to work with them faster,... perhaps we are just all hallucinating - someone should really benchmark to see...
Old 10-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Word on the street is that it has something to do with system cache. If its in the ROM, it gets included in the system cache, and that memory space and system threading gets priority over other parts of the OS.

Think about it from MS's point of view... they want things like phone operations to have priority over installed apps like DivX players, IM apps and any other third party apps.

But this is just a guess. Only MS (or perhaps HTC) would know for sure, and we won't get an official statement from them because they are trying to pretend that custom ROMs don't exist...

Last edited by dishe; 10-24-2007 at 10:23 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan