PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   No2Chem nueROM 0.1 b1007 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=10381)

no2chem 10-24-2007 07:34 PM

No2Chem nueROM 0.2 b2034

NEW VERSION, UPDATE: FIXES slow boot issue. Fixes USB issue. SYS files updated to AKU 0.7, XIPKERNEL still at AKU 0.2.3, XIP at AKU 0.7.0

There is a new 0.3 ALPHA posted on the ftp - I'm going out on a limb here, but - I've checked it and it's pretty stable.
0.3 ALPHA has all files in XIP updated to AKU 0.7 status, except for nk.exe. I obviously need some people to double check it, but it seems to be ok thus far. THE KERNEL IS NOT AKU 0.7. Everything else is, so it would be interesting to see if it resolves anything. It is CE OS 5.2.1921.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD, if you don't like flashing your phone often, or need your phone every second. There is a possbility that IT MAY CRASH, EXPLODE, etc your phone. It is not fully tested yet. Please give me input as to how it works for you so we know what it fixes / breaks. If it crashes, please let me know, and any details.

Thanks!

To download, you'll find it in my directory on the ftp:
ftp://ppcgeeks:ezupload@up.ppcgeeks..../Users/No2Chem

I'm open to suggestions, so let me know...

TurboFool 10-24-2007 07:44 PM

This sounds pretty good. I like what you've put together. Had I not just gone through flashing and hard resetting my device a second time, I'd give this one a try. Maybe in a week or so when I'm bored with my installation I'll give this one a shot. Definitely some good ideas in there.

nilisco 10-24-2007 07:47 PM

Any reason for the 4mb pagepool? Overall, it does seem to make the device slower.

dcd 10-24-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klurf8881 (Post 106341)
one big suggestion dont use the 10 button comm manager that GSM stuff doesnt play well with the mogul from past experience personally and in here. Stock comm manager is best option. Besides that if you polish it up id use it for sure.

ive cooked roms with the wizard or the kaiser comm manager included, and they seem to run fine. i was skeptical but im starting to agree with dishe that some things (ie x-button, threaded sms) just seem to run happier from ROM. comm manager may be one of them too.

to0 10-24-2007 07:59 PM

Problem with the 10-button comm manager is the WiFi option, since we have a hardware switch...

no2chem 10-24-2007 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klurf8881 (Post 106341)
one big suggestion dont use the 10 button comm manager that GSM stuff doesnt play well with the mogul from past experience personally and in here. Stock comm manager is best option. Besides that if you polish it up id use it for sure.

I haven't had any problems running the 10 button comm manager. The wi-fi has issues since we have a hardware switch, but other than that no conflicts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilisco (Post 106345)
Any reason for the 4mb pagepool? Overall, it does seem to make the device slower.

More program memory would be the reason for 4mb pagepool. It doesn't really seem to make the device run slower at all, just a slow startup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcd (Post 106346)
ive cooked roms with the wizard or the kaiser comm manager included, and they seem to run fine. i was skeptical but im starting to agree with dishe that some things (ie x-button, threaded sms) just seem to run happier from ROM. comm manager may be one of them too.

You know, i think you're right - I think programs that were designed to be in the rom run a little better from the rom, such as comm manager and the dialer. Are reads from the rom faster for some reason?...

TurboFool 10-24-2007 09:29 PM

I'd have to agree that adding the X-Button and codyppc's threaded SMS into this would probably allow them to run a little smoother, not to mention they just seem like necessities to me. The system's useless without X-Button, and the built-in SMS is dreadful.

dcd 10-24-2007 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no2chem (Post 106367)
You know, i think you're right - I think programs that were designed to be in the rom run a little better from the rom, such as comm manager and the dialer. Are reads from the rom faster for some reason?...

i sure cant come up with a reason why reads would be faster from rom, but im a noob. real world example indicates that things load faster. i suppose i could justify why a file might be slower to read when it "overwrites" a ROM copy (obviously the copy in ROM is not really overwritten, the filesystem discards it and looks to the new location)

no2chem 10-24-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFool (Post 106390)
I'd have to agree that adding the X-Button and codyppc's threaded SMS into this would probably allow them to run a little smoother, not to mention they just seem like necessities to me. The system's useless without X-Button, and the built-in SMS is dreadful.

I like wkTask more, so I might end up putting that in. Typically I use the threaded SMS in pocketCM, but I can see why people might not want pocketCM - it tends to lag a bit. I'll see to adding this stuff when I have time.

On the rom speed issue, it may be that because items in ROM are marked read only WM is able to work with them faster,... perhaps we are just all hallucinating - someone should really benchmark to see...

dishe 10-24-2007 10:09 PM

Word on the street is that it has something to do with system cache. If its in the ROM, it gets included in the system cache, and that memory space and system threading gets priority over other parts of the OS.

Think about it from MS's point of view... they want things like phone operations to have priority over installed apps like DivX players, IM apps and any other third party apps.

But this is just a guess. Only MS (or perhaps HTC) would know for sure, and we won't get an official statement from them because they are trying to pretend that custom ROMs don't exist...