PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

mercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Errors in Program Shortcuts (Name/Icon) - UPDATE: Fix Available if Rooted

I'm at my wits end about this and was hoping someone might have some ideas as to how to fix this.

Basically, on two occasions, my phone has thrown errors that look like this:

Quote:
Sorry!
The application com.dalejefferson.newspapers (process com.dalejefferson.newspapers) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
Force close
While annoying, it's not really that big of a deal to me. The problem is that when this happens, other shortcuts (both in the apps menu and on the various screens) get renamed.

The first time this happened, the "force close" error happened to the NY Times app. Afterwards, every time I'd try to open the program, I'd get the same error message. In addition to that, two other apps got renamed. Dolphin browser was one. It was renamed to "Login Sucess." Even weirder was that even though I had Dolphin set up as the default browser, the "Login Sucess." browser would ask me if I wanted to set it as the default browser. Strange. Another program that had it's shortcut changed was FB Reader.

So, what I did the first time was uninstall the NY Times app and decided not to reinstall it. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Dolphin Browser and FBReader. Everything seemed to work fine again.

That was two days ago. Then today a similar error happened. This time the program was Newspaper. I don't remember opening the Newspaper app (though maybe it was still running from earlier in the day). When the error happened, several apps got their shortcuts renamed including Dolphin again, FBReader again, AndOrb, Nubinews, and Newspaper. Here's what I see in the Programs list:

com.dalejefferson.newspapers,3.0.9
com.development.androrb,0.3.0
com.nubinews.fullreader,5.9
org.geometerplus.zlibrary.ui.android,0.5.27
Login success.,1.2.1

What the heck is going on?! I'm guessing I have some kind of corrupt memory and so I'm leaning towards doing a hard reset. That would be a pain, of course. So, I'm totally open to your ideas. Has anyone seen something like this?

Hit me with some THANKS!

Last edited by mercado79; 11-11-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

quiqnezz is keeping up the good workquiqnezz is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (HTC Hero: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; HERO200 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Yeah its happened to me with dolphin and I music. I music changes to "scanning sd card".
Old 11-04-2009, 11:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

mercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Android Errors in Program Shortcuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiqnezz View Post
Wirelessly posted (HTC Hero: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; HERO200 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Yeah its happened to me with dolphin and I music. I music changes to "scanning sd card".
Hmmm. So maybe it's Dolphin related. Did you figure out how to fix the shortcuts without reinstalling?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I just saw that princem131 had posted a link to this thread:

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-...ero-icons.html

Looks like others are having this problem too. It appears to be related to updating apps. I'll definitely be sending HTC a bug report.

HTC Support via e-mail:
http://www.htc.com/us/CS_Mail.aspx

HTC Support via phone:
http://www.htc.com/us/CA_Hotline.asp...n=NorthAmerica
USA: 866-449-8358
Canada: 866-449-8358

Last edited by mercado79; 11-05-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added phone numbers
Old 11-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercado79 View Post
Hmmm. So maybe it's Dolphin related. Did you figure out how to fix the shortcuts without reinstalling?
No, i'll usually reinstall and it'll fix it'self. But I think you're right, that it seems to happen when on of the apps force closes. The shortcuts still work fine and the apps as well but it is annoying.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Happens to me when I soft reset. Google sky map is now end user license agreement haha. Weak Sauce!!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacounty View Post
Happens to me when I soft reset. Google sky map is now end user license agreement haha. Weak Sauce!!
Oh yep, forgot about that one too. Same with me.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I added my findings to the Android Forums thread mentioned above, but I figure I'll say it here too.

All the proposed fixes people mentioned do not work. I tried formatting the sd card, doing a hard reset and ONLY running stock Android home, avoiding updating any apps, installing one app at a time and doing a soft reset between installations, etc. And...it still crapped out on me. What's odd is that each time a different app throws a "force close" error and different shortcuts are affected. This time it was Google Listen that threw the error and Dolphin Browser wasn't affected (though it had been the other two or three times). WTF!! So very annoying. Thankfully, the official Android Developers Google group is aware of the issue. Here's to hoping they figure out a fix since HTC appears to be dropping the ball.

http://groups.google.com/group/andro...35153b8e39353d
Old 11-09-2009, 11:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Looks like now that our phone has been rooted, we're better able to see what is actually happening. Some kind of corruption in the app install cache.

Quote:
/data/boot-cache directory is corrupt
This may be a temporary fix, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581806

Quote:
That is it, you use -r not -rf. So the fix is as follows (I use Astro for getting the following information):

1) Use Astro and backup all your apps to your SD card.

2) The Astro Application Manager/Backup tool will list in red all the apps that it thinks are newer on the SD card than the phone thinks are installed.

3) For each of those apps select them and note the app installed name (first line, called "Name"). Usually com.xxx.xxx, etc.

4) Get a root shell to your phone (follow instructions elsewhere.)

5) cd /data/boot-cache

6) For all the names you generated in step 3 type

Code:

Code:
      rm -r *<name>*
e.g. taking Google Sky Map as an example this would be

Code:
Code:
rm -r *com.google.android.stardroid*
7) Reboot your phone.

All apps should now appear in their latest, correct, version.
Credit goes to gilroykilroy over at XDA.

Last edited by mercado79; 11-09-2009 at 11:44 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

miguelfp1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmiguelfp1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmiguelfp1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmiguelfp1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to miguelfp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercado79 View Post
Looks like now that our phone has been rooted, we're better able to see what is actually happening. Some kind of corruption in the app install cache.

This may be a temporary fix, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581806

Credit goes to gilroykilroy over at XDA.
worked great over here, although I had to "clean up" twice

If one of my posts helped you, don't forget to click !!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero

Tags
android, error, force cose, hero