PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigJim1488 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trying to love my Hero!

So I have been messing with the hero for a few days now and I am really torn. I currently have the TP2 and the Hero. The hero is going to my brother but I am holding onto it for a few days. To my surprise it seems that the TP2 is more snappy then the hero. A lot less lags and hang ups it seems. Only thing I am running on the TP2 is the cleanup tweaks, everything else is stock. The hero is definitely a nice phone and I am really considering it especially because its much cheaper then the TP2 and with new HTC devices looming on us next year it would be much easier to sell the hero and either break even or make a few bucks. Android is a nice change from winmo especially because its always growing and winmo is always staying the same.

On a side note has anyone else run into lagging while texting (its not crazy lag but noticeable usually when I use handcent sms

Also can anyone suggest a good MSN im program. I am usually always on it, right now I have Hi msn.....anything better out there?

Thanks for the tips all.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:58 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro
Re: Trying to love my Hero!

Thats just it, even when you load up on apps the Hero will consistently maintain its speeds but the TouchPro2 will not maintain its performance after you haul in on the apps.

So unless you never install anything on the Pro2, (which would be boring) that speed is temporary.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

BigJim1488 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjinaro View Post
Thats just it, even when you load up on apps the Hero will consistently maintain its speeds but the TouchPro2 will not maintain its performance after you haul in on the apps.

So unless you never install anything on the Pro2, (which would be boring) that speed is temporary.
Im have some stuff on the tp2 not but I am really not big into keeping apps running. When I am done with it I close it....
Old 10-22-2009, 05:04 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim1488 View Post
So I have been messing with the hero for a few days now and I am really torn. I currently have the TP2 and the Hero. The hero is going to my brother but I am holding onto it for a few days. To my surprise it seems that the TP2 is more snappy then the hero. A lot less lags and hang ups it seems. Only thing I am running on the TP2 is the cleanup tweaks, everything else is stock. The hero is definitely a nice phone and I am really considering it especially because its much cheaper then the TP2 and with new HTC devices looming on us next year it would be much easier to sell the hero and either break even or make a few bucks. Android is a nice change from winmo especially because its always growing and winmo is always staying the same.

On a side note has anyone else run into lagging while texting (its not crazy lag but noticeable usually when I use handcent sms

Also can anyone suggest a good MSN im program. I am usually always on it, right now I have Hi msn.....anything better out there?

Thanks for the tips all.
Palringo and Ebuddy are good clients.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:06 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

i dumped my hero and got a tp2 for my troubles free, and the tp2 to me is way better. i think the hero will be a great device, just not yet for me. 2.0 will be nice and getting it rooted will be nice but i even like my tp better. if i had moved from my vogue to the hero it would be a diff. story.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:42 PM
ott
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

ott is keeping up the good workott is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
i dumped my hero and got a tp2 for my troubles free, and the tp2 to me is way better. i think the hero will be a great device, just not yet for me. 2.0 will be nice and getting it rooted will be nice but i even like my tp better. if i had moved from my vogue to the hero it would be a diff. story.
I completely agree with you. I have a TP and they were out of TP2 when I needed my TP replaced so I just upgraded for not to the Hero to see what it was like. I like it and its really cool and has tons of potential, but... It does need some work. So it's tempting to fulfil my 30 day period, return it, get my TP replaced with a TP2, keep my upgrade eligibility, upgrade to the Hero at a later time with newer SW, or upgrade to a new and improved Android at a later date. So tempting...
Old 10-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

BigJim1488 is a n00b

This is still a tough choice because I do love the tp2 but the hero is nice and slim and has a lot of growth and the price tag is just very nice! Also my brother is going to have the hero, would be nice to get to know then together so we can bounce good ideas and apps off each other.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cordevil95 is keeping up the good workcordevil95 is keeping up the good work

Hmmm, for me this is a no brainer, Hero all the way! Some of you are saying that Android has a ways to go, or needs some work, etc etc. Well, look at WinMo people! It's been out for YEARS upon years and it still doesn't have as good of a user experience as Android does. 6 months now from the TP2 will still be the way it was the day you bought it, while the Hero will be running a new version of it's OS (most likely), have tons more apps developed for it, and be an overall better everyday device. Again, this is all my opinion. I've been using WinMo forever and Android is leaps and bounds ahead of it and it is still in it's infancy.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

ObsoleteE is keeping up the good workObsoleteE is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ObsoleteE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordevil95 View Post
Hmmm, for me this is a no brainer, Hero all the way! Some of you are saying that Android has a ways to go, or needs some work, etc etc. Well, look at WinMo people! It's been out for YEARS upon years and it still doesn't have as good of a user experience as Android does. 6 months now from the TP2 will still be the way it was the day you bought it, while the Hero will be running a new version of it's OS (most likely), have tons more apps developed for it, and be an overall better everyday device. Again, this is all my opinion. I've been using WinMo forever and Android is leaps and bounds ahead of it and it is still in it's infancy.
+ infinity
Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjinaro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim1488 View Post
Im have some stuff on the tp2 not but I am really not big into keeping apps running. When I am done with it I close it....
But thats the thing with Android, you don't have to worry about closing apps. Android does an excellent job of managing the memory. I just got done using the TP2 for a month and just picked up the Hero a week ago and I'm so glad I did.

I thought I would miss the huge keyboard but the software keyboard on the Hero is so good I haven't thought twice about it.
And it's nice not having a brick in my pocket.
The capacitive screen is easier to use. I rarely have to press twice to make a selection and I've never had a swipe get confused for a press.
The Hero costs less.
The Hero has the best Gmail integration of any device.

I probably won't even think about getting another WinMo device until 7 comes out.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero