PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
And rooting gives infinite customizations

my EVO is way cooler than yours
Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Its FLASHING time!!!
Pocket PC: Evo & TP2
Carrier: SPCS

vin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Can someone give me a few reasons to Root? (Beyond z4Root)

You sound like my wife.She had Evo and I had TP2.She said I love my Evo the way it came out of box.
1 month later I showed her my Evo running custom ROM and she said:"damn,can you do this with my Evo too?" lol
Old 01-25-2011, 06:17 AM
Master Kimosabi

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Sounds like my gf and her shitty hero. That is the definition of a Dead platform. That never had love for some reason

Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Well I think I just solved one of my problems thanks to a hint from this thread. I installed gingerbread keyboard. Works great but I lost my arrow keys.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro, HTC Evo
Carrier: sprint

accessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Sure when Sprint stops updating I will root or get the next phone.

I've read threads that the different Kernels made no difference on Battery. Most agreed running some battery saver tools helped most but I also read threads that some of those tools caused other issues.

Only difference on 3G speed I've seen is the recent thread on clearing the Proxy with no mention of rooting or different ROMs in that thread. I doubt a new Kernel will effect that much.
Ok, you're free to wait. However, do you want to risk dead links for rooting procedures, or get updated to a version that cannot be rooted? I haven't done anything to mine apart from the faster 3g tweak. Maybe, I'll look into a rom that has a nicer taskbar..., but I do like the fact that ALL my options are available to me now.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

jj14x is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
If rooting could fix any of these:

2) Fix Navigating to Contact Address through Voice Search.
This works for me on my stock Sprint EVO. It refused to work earlier, but I moved my contacts from the phone contact list to Gmail contacts - and allowed background sync for gmail contacts.

Now, voice search works for calling/navigation/SMS etc... (Google must be doing the voice recognition on their servers - can't see any other reason for the background sync to be enabled for this to work)
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SPRINT

cmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman1127 View Post
And rooting gives infinite customizations

+1

Themes can make it feel like a different phone whenever you want!!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
This works for me on my stock Sprint EVO. It refused to work earlier, but I moved my contacts from the phone contact list to Gmail contacts - and allowed background sync for gmail contacts.

Now, voice search works for calling/navigation/SMS etc... (Google must be doing the voice recognition on their servers - can't see any other reason for the background sync to be enabled for this to work)
I have all my contacts in Gmail (just for this purpose) with Syncing GMail contacts enabled and Background Data Enabled.

It works fine for Voice Calling. But it refuses to work for Voice Navigation (on BT Headset or Handset). I cannot say Navagate to Fred Smith at Work (it will prompt with a bunch of crap it found on the web once it enters Navigation Application). But I can say Call Fred Smith at Work.

There is a thread here and other folks can't get it to work either.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-4g...me-insane.html
Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4g
Carrier: Sprint

jrob is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman1127 View Post
Sounds like my gf and her shitty hero. That is the definition of a Dead platform. That never had love for some reason

My wife knows the benefits of rooting her Evo, but refuses to let me do it!!! I thinks she's still mad at me from erasing all of her contacts and emails when I tried flashing her Mogul x amount of years ago!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Master Kimosabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob View Post
My wife knows the benefits of rooting her Evo, but refuses to let me do it!!! I thinks she's still mad at me from erasing all of her contacts and emails when I tried flashing her Mogul x amount of years ago!!!
Hahaha. The only reason why I was allowed to with Android was because all the contacts are backed up on gmail.

So I thought of it, #1 reason to root:
Nand backup/restore. If you don't like a Rom or you get your device replaced, you can flash the Nand file and get everything as it was including settings

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G