PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can someone give me a few reasons to Root? (Beyond z4Root)

I already have z4root for the Wifi Tether (which I only occasionally use). So the annoyance of running z4Root first is not an issue.

I have searched many "Top 10 Reasons to Root Android" and most include some of the HTC Apps not available to other Android phones.

If I needed Full Root to get Wifi Tether I would have by now.

A few reasons I have not rooted that I'm not sure of are:

1) Seen a lot of threads "X don't work after I Rooted/Installed ROM X". I admit I didn't read them in detail.
2) There are lots of warnings about backing up RSA Key's before rooting. But the "Unrevoked" method does make it clear that, that is done for you or not.
3) Updates from Sprint won't work without UnRoot and ReRoot. Not sure how big a deal that is.

My battery is running just fine. Space is fine, I have not even checked

If rooting could fix any of these:

1) the Android Browser to zoom text colums correctly.
2) Fix Navigating to Contact Address through Voice Search.
3) Fix ANY improvement Voice Search (like confirmation) I'd do it in a heart beat.
4) Improve Portrait Keyboard. With the HTC Keyboard in Portrait Mode (I'd rather pull out a stylus) than to type as many mistakes as I do. Works in landscape but I can't stand it taking up 4/5ths of the screen. The Stock Android Keyboard looks worse. I can see why so many folks want physical key boards. I always used my stylus on the TP2. Slow but very few mistakes. So if rooting can help solve that I'm in.

I don't watch movies, do facebook, Tweek or play games. Phone, Exchange, Contacts, Nav, VoiceCommand, WIFI Tether are my most critical needs.

What will Rooting buy me?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro, HTC Evo
Carrier: sprint

accessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on repaccessing is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Can someone give me a few reasons to Root? (Beyond z4Root)

Well, I literally just rooted my phone and I did it because I was interested in faster 3g speeds and kernel for better battery life. I must admit that I find stock to be really solid for the phone, kudos for Android and Sprint to almost give us everything we want. However, if there is no enticing reason to root there is always one: Longevity. Technology keeps improving and a phones can become "irrelevant" very quickly. So, with a rooted phone you'll be able to test the waters of new versions of Android as devlopers make these tasty treats available. This way you can stay updated much longer than when Sprint decides to stop updating the phones.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Can you give me a reason not to root?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Ryum is a n00b

I also z4root for wifi, and have not found a compelling reason to take it any further. Since I started using battery doctor my batteries already impressive longevity has reached the point I stopped looking into carrying some kind of portable charger. The only thing I'd do with rooting is get rid of some of the sprint apps... And that really wouldn't change much at all.

Given the number of people who run into issues wether it's their own fault or not leaves me just fine with my current set up for now, or until there is a reason that would make it worth while to me.

That said, can you get rid of that nascar app and ect with z4root? I have not really thought about it in a while.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965

You are correct that you can't accept updates from Sprint after you root. That is the only downfall. In the upgrades section are many ROM's built off the Sprint base (just removing the bloatware), even the full OTA ROM rooted for your use. The rooted ROM has all the same functionality, just rooted.
Most users that have problems start hacking before they research what they are TRULY doing.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by accessing View Post
Well, I literally just rooted my phone and I did it because I was interested in faster 3g speeds and kernel for better battery life. I must admit that I find stock to be really solid for the phone, kudos for Android and Sprint to almost give us everything we want. However, if there is no enticing reason to root there is always one: Longevity. Technology keeps improving and a phones can become "irrelevant" very quickly. So, with a rooted phone you'll be able to test the waters of new versions of Android as devlopers make these tasty treats available. This way you can stay updated much longer than when Sprint decides to stop updating the phones.
Sure when Sprint stops updating I will root or get the next phone.

I've read threads that the different Kernels made no difference on Battery. Most agreed running some battery saver tools helped most but I also read threads that some of those tools caused other issues.

Only difference on 3G speed I've seen is the recent thread on clearing the Proxy with no mention of rooting or different ROMs in that thread. I doubt a new Kernel will effect that much.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:19 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryum View Post
That said, can you get rid of that nascar app and ect with z4root? I have not really thought about it in a while.
No, z4root won't allow you remove anything that is flashed into the ROM image.

I wouldn't mind removing apps myself but that's not enough to justify full root.

I had no problems using Kitchen for TP2 but I could see real advantages.

Just curious if I'm missing something.

I definitely have issues with the EVO but none can be addressed by rooting as far as I understand.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:24 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

there is no reason to root other then you want to
"if you don't want, there is no need"

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Last edited by Karl; 01-24-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Sprint already stopped updating. The next update (if it ever comes) will be gingerbread and typically that happens when everyone else already has it. They only way to get consistant updates is when these smart developers release the releases.

App removal is really the only way to speed the device up. Granted, the speed gains arent as great as with the TP2, but they are still noticable. Not only that, all those unused apps are just an eyesore!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Sure when Sprint stops updating I will root or get the next phone.

I've read threads that the different Kernels made no difference on Battery. Most agreed running some battery saver tools helped most but I also read threads that some of those tools caused other issues.

Only difference on 3G speed I've seen is the recent thread on clearing the Proxy with no mention of rooting or different ROMs in that thread. I doubt a new Kernel will effect that much.
If you are going to wait until Sprint stops upgrading to root, you will never root! That is how ALL future upgrades or fixes will be sent. Besides, those upgrades are available in the upgrades section for rooted phones usually by the end of the day (generally long before most users get notification of the upgrade on their rooted phone).

From my experience with my and my wifes phone the SBC kernels make a huge difference in the battery life.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G