PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 02:50 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Voice Search/Navigate driving me insane

I'd like to Navigate to an Address in My Contacts.

It refuses to work

If I say "Navigate to Fred Smith at work"

It prompts with these exact words.

I click go

And it seems to go Google on those key words.

I do have my contacts in Gmail and if I say "Call Fred Smith at Work" it will work.

If I say "Navigate to 60 Main St, Sommerville, MA"

It will prompt with those exact words.

I click go and it does a google search with a bunch of hits all over the place and not always the one I want.

Also if I make a call while Navigating the Nav instructions come through headset.

Can I make it never do that with a setting? I don't can if it comes out on speaker or muted. I just don't want it in headset. I do want Voice instrcutions to immediately resume when the call ends if it must mute to silence Headset.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!
Carrier: Sprint

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Voice Search/Navigate driving me insane

I have same problem. There is no native work around that I know of as this is a huge shortcomming on google's part. I'm gonna do some digging and see what I come up with.

Also, there is absolutely NO reason why anyone should have to sync contacts with gmail for VC to work. This should be native.....but get used to it because this is just the beginning of the "cloud" movement which sucks a$$ at this present time.

Last edited by gator352; 01-20-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Big Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Redneck3100

I just tried this, and I said "Navigate to My Brother at home" and it opened navigation, but to a buisness nearby with "brother" in the name....did I miss something? Do you have to specify that its a contact somehow?

When life gives you lemons...find someone whos life gave them tequilla and have a party!!!!

If I've helped you in any way, please hit the button, I surely appreciate it!!!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Do you guys have contacts indicated under the main search settings?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Redneck3100 View Post
I just tried this, and I said "Navigate to My Brother at home" and it opened navigation, but to a buisness nearby with "brother" in the name....did I miss something? Do you have to specify that its a contact somehow?
That's the problem.

But if you say "Call My Brother at Home" it will work fine. Well, most of the time.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Big Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
That's the problem.

But if you say "Call My Brother at Home" it will work fine. Well, most of the time.
Yes, it will always call the contact with no problem, but the navigation to a contact with address info stored will not act right for anything lol
Old 01-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker

ok, just listed contact in search settings, and it still didnt work.....
Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Redneck3100 View Post
ok, just listed contact in search settings, and it still didnt work.....
Curious what you tried to do there
Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 AM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

He went into search settings and enabled contacts to be listed in search natively. Doesn't work for me either.

Last edited by gator352; 01-24-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:43 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I found the next best thing. I'm running EvoNonsense ROM but I assume it will work this way on any Froyo 2.2 ROM.

Don't say "Navigate Contact Name".

Just say "Contact Name" and The Contact will come up immediately.

Scroll to Address and click Navigate Icon (In the ROM I have Navigate Icon is right next to Address).

You need to enable Google to Search Contacts in Settings.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G