PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 08:04 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Bad MicroUSB Port-Sprint

USB ports have been failing since Adam called Eve and told her to quit playing with snakes. They have failed on every phone I have. It stands to reason, it is an interface of two components that are often colliding. The cure would be to place the phone is a state where there is much less exposure to failure prone activity.
The charge type pads might be one answer. Charges can be induced into a battery. Utilizing WiFi would also help. Reduce the fail causing event by 70% and you increase the life of the port likewise.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze (Touch Pro)
Carrier: AT&T

TurboX2 is a n00b

Mine broke too...

I wiped the device, and sent it in rooted..
this happened about a month after getting the phone..

my new evo has been fine so far... i hope this doesnt happen again, im definately getting insurance after the 1yr warranty goes away
Old 11-07-2010, 06:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HitachiG1000, ppc6700,I730,Mogul,Touch,TP,TP2, EVO

lefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

To follow up, I went ahead and ordered two 3500 mah batteries with cradle charger port and slot for charging the extra battery. This will definitely keep the wear and tear down on the port itself, even though I will need to change out battery manually , but that's easy on the EVO. I use bluetooth file transfer or wifi for transferring lots of files other thn movies.(haven't really tried those) . While there have been microusb ports for a while,,,none are as fragile as the new ones on the EVO. If you are not careful and wiggle the cable when plugging or unplugging, you will eventually break the connections(solder?) . I figured this might actually be a phone I keep for a bit longer than normal , so it doesnthrt to get a few long life batteries and cradle to make sure it lasts. Cheaper than the 100 bucks the pathetic techs wanna charge for a swap out. I think all they can do is restore contacts and tell people that there could have been water damage... BTW , the mats look really cool but for 100 bucks and having to place another adapter on the phone,,,it just hasn't gotten to the economical viability point yet.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:13 AM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Pathetic techs? Really? Anyways I've had my Evo since launch and have had no issues with it, especially the charge port. It's not the techs fault if you all are rough putting in and pulling out the cable. And I use the port at least three times a day

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker

lefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtech3 View Post
Pathetic techs? Really? Anyways I've had my Evo since launch and have had no issues with it, especially the charge port. It's not the techs fault if you all are rough putting in and pulling out the cable. And I use the port at least three times a day

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
uh, yes, I said pathetic techs. Let me clarify just for you, I do not mean EVERY single technician is pathetic, but yes vast majority of them are not technicians. Really. They are part swappers or young kids who know how to unlock a phone and run through series of scripted steps to check minor things. I live in a big metro area and we have Sprint stores with repair facilities here and the majority of the guys working there know less than we do about these phones.And that's been a common thing for years . Most people who are members here are more knowledgeable than their techs. Considering that is their job, I feel justified in my use of the word pathetic .Call it what YOU will. Would you want the engine of your Porsche worked on by the guy who trained how to just change oil at Jiffy Lube?

Listen to you, you sound like you might be one of those techs. Let's hope you are one of the truly well trained ones . If you are , then that post did not DESCRIBE YOU . Quit taking it personally unless you fall into that category of tech who tells everyone "well we will have to check for water damage because that can cause these problems" when they bring a phone in for service. Last time I was at Sprint store , I heard one tech tell 3 customers that while i was waiting for another tech to take my EVO ( which was 1 month old) apart and look at the usb receptacle. THERE is obviously an issue with weak connectorization of the usb port on the Evo .

I also have a Nextel phone with the same micro usb connector as the EVO for almost 2 years, and I am extremely rough on it compared to my EVO and suprisingly , I have never had one issue with the port nor has any of my 50 plus co workers withe same kind of phone .

You really think that all these people are having issues because they are being rough when pulling or pushing in a specifically fitting usb plug into a specifically fitted hole ?? I have had smart phones since the Hitachi G1000 , I think I have the plug in charger process down , as do many of the other people you have just insinuated are too rough.

Last edited by lefty11; 11-08-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

akmzero is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty11 View Post
uh, yes, I said pathetic techs. Let me clarify just for you, I do not mean EVERY single technician is pathetic, but yes vast majority of them are not technicians. Really. They are part swappers or young kids who know how to unlock a phone and run through series of scripted steps to check minor things. I live in a big metro area and we have Sprint stores with repair facilities here and the majority of the guys working there know less than we do about these phones.And that's been a common thing for years . Most people who are members here are more knowledgeable than their techs. Considering that is their job, I feel justified in my use of the word pathetic .Call it what YOU will. Would you want the engine of your Porsche worked on by the guy who trained how to just change oil at Jiffy Lube?

Listen to you, you sound like you might be one of those techs. Let's hope you are one of the truly well trained ones . If you are , then that post did not DESCRIBE YOU . Quit taking it personally unless you fall into that category of tech who tells everyone "well we will have to check for water damage because that can cause these problems" when they bring a phone in for service. Last time I was at Sprint store , I heard one tech tell 3 customers that while i was waiting for another tech to take my EVO ( which was 1 month old) apart and look at the usb receptacle. THERE is obviously an issue with weak connectorization of the usb port on the Evo .

I also have a Nextel phone with the same micro usb connector as the EVO for almost 2 years, and I am extremely rough on it compared to my EVO and suprisingly , I have never had one issue with the port nor has any of my 50 plus co workers withe same kind of phone .

You really think that all these people are having issues because they are being rough when pulling or pushing in a specifically fitting usb plug into a specifically fitted hole ?? I have had smart phones since the Hitachi G1000 , I think I have the plug in charger process down , as do many of the other people you have just insinuated are too rough.
Well I'm one of these techs that you don't like and I can tell you that there is a known issue on evos and their ports. Its actually a covered item granted you have insurance now. If a tech gives you issues about getting a replacement phone with a port that has come detached from the board tell them to check cebu under device known issues.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: sprint

ldunganjr is a n00b

Hey just my 2 cents, my phone is 2 months old and i myself treat it like a newborn! I did buy a 3500 battery, to cut down on usb usage. and and yes the usb port went crazy causing a few different issues. what has really made me upset is that my 200.00 phone, that is 2 months old got replaced with a refurb. I have experienced the same with the techs, very nice but didn't even know that my phone was rooted. we shall see how this one goes, i do love this phone but looks like in 10 months it will be replaced with something a little tougher.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

akmzero is just getting started
Ill be honest with you. While most stores dont know hoe to check for root, in my store as l ok ng as you dont make it blantly obvious you have a root, ie changing your splash loader, we dont care. Everyone in my store has a rooted evo/hero. And while I can sympathise with you about the 2 month old referb, the carrier cant be held responsiable. We didnt make the phone, htc did.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker

you lump yourself with the techs I was referring to but you sound a bit more savvy than ones I am used to seeing over the years. You sound like the kind of tech I was not referring to . That being aside, I think it should be Sprint's job to deal with HTC about a known issue. Sprint sells the phones in most cases and then provides service on them . If there is a known issue it should be handled through Sprint and then back to HTC . If the product ids defective, then by all means it is back on the manufacturer, but the place you purchased if from should be the ones who work it out there. And of course the insurance would cover it, as that's what insurance is for , but logical thinking says a known issue should at least be covered under a normal warranty if nothing else. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas
Threadstarter

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Lefty is correct in my trade if I by a breaker for a breaker box and its defective I return to supply house with no questions. Manuafuture always should get product back in the end if possible and suppiler return a good item back.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G