PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

boomer8403 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO 4G Powermat Wireless Charger Unboxing/Overview Video

Does anyone know if this will work with the otterbox commuter case?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

Clipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer8403 View Post
Does anyone know if this will work with the otterbox commuter case?
haven't used one, but judging by pics it looks too thick...
Old 10-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

tjr2010 is a n00b

The idea of having a powermat for the EVO is genius, but i got a case on my phone already, and I'd far rather have my phone protected befor I try wireless charging. Powermat company needs to do a little more thinking before they put these things together.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

Yeah, this one size fits all never does.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: EVO 4G Powermat shows up at Best Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeythekidd View Post
Don't you still have to put some sort of case on your phone? No Thanks!

Edit: Found a pic.

HEY! I prayed for 20 years and never even came close to having a child of my own. So I married a woman with 2 great kids and love them as my own! On 10/05/2009 I was blessed as well with a beautiful baby boy weighing 9 lb 6oz and healthy as can be!!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator352 View Post
HEY! I prayed for 20 years and never even came close to having a child of my own. So I married a woman with 2 great kids and love them as my own! On 10/05/2009 I was blessed as well with a beautiful baby boy weighing 9 lb 6oz and healthy as can be!!
Congrats!!!...not sure if this has anything to do with the powermat...but congrats anyways...

now back to the program...I use the Seidio Active case...and I'm not giving up the form factor of the phone just to charge without a wire. That little nub on the bottom of the phone is a deal breaker for me.

But...I'm sure its a good option for those that HAS to HAVE the wireless charging.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Clipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw1972 View Post
I use the Seidio Active case...and I'm not giving up the form factor of the phone just to charge without a wire. That little nub on the bottom of the phone is a deal breaker for me.
What if you didn't use a case? Would that change your mind or at least allow you to reconsider, despite the nub? It sucks there's no solution for case users, but that's how it goes with a lot of products (some docks, larger extended batteries).

I tend to bounce around from room to room often, so wireless charging is the perfect answer. When I come back to the office I can easily drop it on the mat and just as easily pull it off when heading out. I know it's a small issue, but I've always been burdened by having to plug and unplug (repeat)... Smartphones have crappy battery life, so convenient charging is a big plus for me - seeing how a charge is required at least twice a day (for my usage). I quickly get tired of using cables twice a day for 365 days .

Can't wait for all portable electronics to get some sort of wireless charging built in.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

At 2:40 of video, TADA out of the box first is a small (appears to be aprox 4"x4") power mat

woooohhhh, back up.............. didn't powermat come out about the size of a keyboard and allow many devices be set on it? what now, are we to get 5 power strips under our computer desk and clutter the desk with a mat for every device? why isn't there just a cover?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhre View Post
At 2:40 of video, TADA out of the box first is a small (appears to be aprox 4"x4") power mat
woooohhhh, back up.............. didn't powermat come out about the size of a keyboard and allow many devices be set on it? what now, are we to get 5 power strips under our computer desk and clutter the desk with a mat for every device? why isn't there just a cover?
Ha, that's because it's the type of kit. It's meant to be for one device and the price reflects that. They sell the covers separately if you already have a charging mat or prefer to get a larger one. They sell 3 different sized mats separately (holds 3x, 2x, 1x), so the keyboard size is still there...

I think most people getting a powermat only need it for one device, so the lower price and less space it takes up for the kit in the video is a positive thing. I'd be annoyed if they made me pay more for a giant mat that I don't need. That'd be like going to burger king and being forced to pay for the triple whopper with cheese when all you want is a single whopper.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint TP@

Aaron Campagnone is a n00b

Based on the hands on video, it looks like it might be hackable to be used with gel or hard cases. Remember the hack to use the TOUCHSTONE from a few months/weeks back? Similar idea. It looks like the little nub makes the electrical connection from the induction to the usb port and on to the battery. Thus, you remove the induction coil from the supplied back, attach to the inside of your case (given suitably thin material) and then put the nub back on and make sure the connections match up. Someone who is familiar with the original touchstone hack should take a look at this and see if its doable. basically it replaces the pin soldering with the nub!!!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
android, evo 4g, htc, powermat