PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 02:15 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: MultiTasking for Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradart View Post
Well, not to be argumentative, but android does multitask flawlessly and, might i add, WWAAAYYYYY more efficiently than WM. You are using an incorrect definition of multitasking. Android assigns cpu priority based on parameters built into the app itself, whether or not your using it, and what other apps are running. Gmail was designed to be a background process that you could occasionally check. Android quite intentionally caches the state of gmail(stops active data connection and remembers where you were in the list or what email you had open) to make whatever app you are switching to run at its best capacity.

The same goes for the browser. I cannot think of a single time i have taken the browser out of focus while i was waiting for a page to load. Android figures "hell, this guy isn't looking at the browser anymore. I'll save battery power and cpu strength. I'll remember where the guy WAS and stop using the data connection so he can get the most use out of the app he'd evidently prefer to be using right now", whereas Windows Mobile is like "HERPP DERP Everything on full blast all the time! My processor can handle ALL OF Y-crash"

Download visual task switcher from the market. These apps are still running, but in a cpu and battery-saving cached state because you aren't using them. This is the entire reason android runs more smoothly than WM and, by extension, why Android is superior in every way.
Don't get me wrong, I'm done with WM and love Android. But it doesn't just stall some background functions, it cancels all the progress made, and takes you back to the starting line. Try the 10MB attachment download, you'll see. you could be 90% done, navigate away, and it doesn't finish, nor does it simply halt until you navigate back, it makes you start all over. Same with navigating away from a loading page.

Your explanation doesn't explain away the real-world reality that it does NOT, in all cases, continue to run a command in the background, but worse, it negates all the progress made before you navigate away. You have to issue the command all over again.

In no way is that multi-tasking as good as WM.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:19 AM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I gotta say Bundo, I just tried your email experiment and the email continued to download a file while I did something else. My EVO seems to multi task just fine.

EVO on Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2010, 02:29 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
I gotta say Bundo, I just tried your email experiment and the email continued to download a file while I did something else. My EVO seems to multi task just fine.

EVO on Tapatalk
Well, maybe you're on 2.2, and it works better there. I'll try it on my wifes 2.2 later. I'm still on 2.1 (DC 3.2.3), and won't upgrade until all the apps I use work correctly. Are you on 2.2?
Old 09-18-2010, 04:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel
Threadstarter

ink718 is keeping up the good workink718 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to ink718

TheBundo, you know what am talking about brother. We're on the same boat. WM had the best multitasking! And just like you, I was a hardcore WM user! I still have my TP2 active because am on SERO. However I have said RIP to WM as Android is the future.

I hope Android is able to multitask like WM did without killing apps and running in the background until you "X" it out. Let me know if 2.2 is different please...

Don't forget to say thanx! ;]
Old 09-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

You guys must be high, lol, "multitasking" works fine, almost identical to windows mobile, remember by default wm didnt really have a convnient task manager or close apps for that matter. I think the issue is the task managers so far suck and its not easy to switch between programs (no htc task manager) with out 20 clicks.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

Having both the TP2 and the Evo, both operational and both used daily, I also prefer the multi-tasking within WM and prefer the "task manager" aspect of WM6. I want to control what gets closed; I do not want the OS making the decision to close what it wants to close. Android has its pluses, as does WM and frankly, other than the speed of the Evo, I find the TP2 to be a better device in most aspects.

Incidentally, switching tasks in WM (is a 2 stroke function). I am sure your figure of 20 is an exaggeration.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

You guys don't know what multi tasking is apparently. In WM I could have every program open, like a game or 2, word, pdf viewer, IE and mail. I could switch between them and I would be exactly where I left off, the game would still be at the exact same spot, the doc would be open and ready to go IE would still be running where I left off. On my EVO if I am playing a game and switch to email because an email downloaded then when I go back to the game I have to wait for it to start up and load all over again, the same with a doc or whatever. Yes android manages memory better but it does that by shutting down programs and making me start over again and it does run programs in the background very good. Don't get me wrong, I love the EVO and wouldn't go back to my TP2 if you paid me, but the OP was talking about this type of multitasking.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel
Threadstarter

ink718 is keeping up the good workink718 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to ink718

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
You guys don't know what multi tasking is apparently. In WM I could have every program open, like a game or 2, word, pdf viewer, IE and mail. I could switch between them and I would be exactly where I left off, the game would still be at the exact same spot, the doc would be open and ready to go IE would still be running where I left off. On my EVO if I am playing a game and switch to email because an email downloaded then when I go back to the game I have to wait for it to start up and load all over again, the same with a doc or whatever. Yes android manages memory better but it does that by shutting down programs and making me start over again and it does run programs in the background very good. Don't get me wrong, I love the EVO and wouldn't go back to my TP2 if you paid me, but the OP was talking about this type of multitasking.
Very well said! Thank you summing it! ;]. I love Android! And hopefully Google implements multitasking in Android soon! Something like the WM HTC "X" tasking killing app or better, so that the user has the option to close the apps she/he wants and not the OS deciding.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
Well, maybe you're on 2.2, and it works better there. I'll try it on my wifes 2.2 later. I'm still on 2.1 (DC 3.2.3), and won't upgrade until all the apps I use work correctly. Are you on 2.2?
I am on 2.2, perhaps that is the difference.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

dajeepman is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to dajeepman

I think its the program... I can download a song and browses the internet all the same time. I know for a fact if I load a screen and hit the home button it stops loading. But if I'm downloading a file it keeps downloading.. Its kinda weird.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G