View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 02:15 AM
TheBundo
VIP Member

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: MultiTasking for Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradart View Post
Well, not to be argumentative, but android does multitask flawlessly and, might i add, WWAAAYYYYY more efficiently than WM. You are using an incorrect definition of multitasking. Android assigns cpu priority based on parameters built into the app itself, whether or not your using it, and what other apps are running. Gmail was designed to be a background process that you could occasionally check. Android quite intentionally caches the state of gmail(stops active data connection and remembers where you were in the list or what email you had open) to make whatever app you are switching to run at its best capacity.

The same goes for the browser. I cannot think of a single time i have taken the browser out of focus while i was waiting for a page to load. Android figures "hell, this guy isn't looking at the browser anymore. I'll save battery power and cpu strength. I'll remember where the guy WAS and stop using the data connection so he can get the most use out of the app he'd evidently prefer to be using right now", whereas Windows Mobile is like "HERPP DERP Everything on full blast all the time! My processor can handle ALL OF Y-crash"

Download visual task switcher from the market. These apps are still running, but in a cpu and battery-saving cached state because you aren't using them. This is the entire reason android runs more smoothly than WM and, by extension, why Android is superior in every way.
Don't get me wrong, I'm done with WM and love Android. But it doesn't just stall some background functions, it cancels all the progress made, and takes you back to the starting line. Try the 10MB attachment download, you'll see. you could be 90% done, navigate away, and it doesn't finish, nor does it simply halt until you navigate back, it makes you start all over. Same with navigating away from a loading page.

Your explanation doesn't explain away the real-world reality that it does NOT, in all cases, continue to run a command in the background, but worse, it negates all the progress made before you navigate away. You have to issue the command all over again.

In no way is that multi-tasking as good as WM.