PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How does the EVO become a "bricked" phone

"bricking" describes a device that cannot function in ANY capacity (such as a device with damaged firmware)......

You cannot fix "bricking" if your phone works at all its not bricking, this goes for all phones not just the Evo. So, what you can gather from this definition is that when you delete the firmware (like interrupting "flashing" for you WM peps) without installing a new firmware at the same time you can brick your device. Its fairly hard to "brick" your Evo and you really have to try to do it in order to accomplish this. If you are afraid of bricking your device and dont know if what your doing will "brick " it then don't do it.

CW

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.

Last edited by WarChild; 07-27-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex
Carrier: Sprint

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSD View Post
Whatever you do, do not power your phone off after you've sent a text message. Insta-brick.
LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooover View Post
A text message ?

Are you serious...Is that even believable ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazy View Post
really after a freakin text? thats kind of weird. the pulling out battery one seems to make sense because you're updating system files so ya.
anyone know of other ways?
thanks a lot so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooover View Post
I'm not believing the hype on the text message...because I have a paid app called "text bomber" and it only allows 100 messages at a time so I send them then re-boot and do it again...for fun and games...now if that bricked my phone...I can't even dignify this with a response!!!
Come on guys, y'all need to take a vacation or something. How could you not see the humor in that response?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apristel View Post
Wow, seems people are a tad slow today
LOL, those responses where classic. Anyway I think if you flash the wrong radio then you are screwed for sure.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:40 PM
War is the answer!

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
LOL, those responses where classic. Anyway I think if you flash the wrong radio then you are screwed for sure.
This is not true.

CW
Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
This is not true.

CW
Well I guess if you can get back in bootloader then you should be fine but I have seen phones with the wrong radio not be able to be saved at all, maybe it was something else in addition to the bad radio.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

BlaqMogul is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to BlaqMogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
"bricking" describes a device that cannot function in ANY capacity (such as a device with damaged firmware)......

You cannot fix "bricking" if your phone works at all its not bricking, this goes for all phones not just the Evo. So, what you can gather from this definition is that when you delete the firmware (like interrupting "flashing" for you WM peps) without installing a new firmware at the same time you can brick your device. Its fairly hard to "brick" your Evo and you really have to try to do it in order to accomplish this. If you are afraid of bricking your device and dont know if what your doing will "brick " it then don't do it.

CW
my GFs phone is bricked......really bricked.......no bootloader....no splash screen..........nothing....just a black screen. her phone was never rooted and she rarely downloads anything..Sprint says they will send a new one but they are on backorder (no ETA).......what should i do?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqMogul View Post
my GFs phone is bricked......really bricked.......no bootloader....no splash screen..........nothing....just a black screen. her phone was never rooted and she rarely downloads anything..Sprint says they will send a new one but they are on backorder (no ETA).......what should i do?
That's just a defective phone. Nothing to do w/ rooting.
Also, have you tried pulling the battery then putting it back in.
Then hold Volume Down while you power on the phone?
Does it do anything besides a black screen?

For everyone else, I'm pretty sure it's almost impossible to brick the evo.
Getting stuck somewhere is possible, but bricking it is very hard.
You don't do anything during any of the steps that will affect the bootloader screen.
On Windows Mobile it was easy to brick devices because you changed the bootloader to get full access. If you load the wrong bootloader, or interupt the process while it's changing the bootloader, your phone is bricked. That's not the case on Android.
In fact, someone posted in my thread that they were flashing a rom and the phone fell off the desk and the battery popped out and turned the phone off, in the middle of flashing.
They just had to go into bootloader and start flashing again.

So, since the bootloader screen stays the same, you can always get to it and flash a different rom or push files or use adb shell to fix whatever mess you made.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:01 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

BlaqMogul is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to BlaqMogul

yes i did.......NOTHING worked......she got a new phone free of charge....im more than certain tht the phone was defective....
Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D-Flashaholic
Carrier: Sprint F&F an SERO..Oscuras

ddark4eva is keeping up the good workddark4eva is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ddark4eva

yea like FastX said its pretty much impossible to brick this phone my second time flashing a rom the battery fell out on me (cus to my Gf "dont touch it!" apparently means "pick it up an try to comprehend wuts going on"..i jus simply started over. If anyone really really bricks this phone... then i say they worked very hard to achieve just that.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 AM
War is the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqMogul View Post
yes i did.......NOTHING worked......she got a new phone free of charge....im more than certain tht the phone was defective....
Im glad things worked out for ya'll

CW
Old 08-02-2010, 02:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Threadstarter

frazy is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to frazy