PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

boba1213 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Who actually USES 4g?

I've had the phone for nearly a month now, in Chicago, and rarely, if ever, turn on 4G. When I do it's been a startling disappointment, losing signal and dropping whatever program may be using it (eBuddy, for instance, tends to not like it when the signal drops out and disconnects you.) Overall I don't find the service to be very reliable, going from 3 bars to 0 bars for next to no reason.

3G, however, has done everything I need it to, seems much faster than on my TP2 (probably due to rendering with a 1ghz processor as opposed to whatever the TP2 had) and has been generally quite fast. I've tried watching Youtube videos via 4G and had far more stuttering than when 3G was the only thing active, any explanation or am I just crazy?

With that said, I believe the cons of 4G being that it drains battery and it doesn't stay connected with a strong signal (even while next to a Sprint installed 4G repeater at work.) Pros it's "much faster." But when would you need that speed unless you are downloading large files? It's nearly negligible (when it works) in loading web sites.

Maybe I'm crazy or something's wrong with my EVO. Anyone else having these issues?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)

eman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Who actually USES 4g?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba1213 View Post
I've had the phone for nearly a month now, in Chicago, and rarely, if ever, turn on 4G. When I do it's been a startling disappointment, losing signal and dropping whatever program may be using it (eBuddy, for instance, tends to not like it when the signal drops out and disconnects you.) Overall I don't find the service to be very reliable, going from 3 bars to 0 bars for next to no reason.

3G, however, has done everything I need it to, seems much faster than on my TP2 (probably due to rendering with a 1ghz processor as opposed to whatever the TP2 had) and has been generally quite fast. I've tried watching Youtube videos via 4G and had far more stuttering than when 3G was the only thing active, any explanation or am I just crazy?

With that said, I believe the cons of 4G being that it drains battery and it doesn't stay connected with a strong signal (even while next to a Sprint installed 4G repeater at work.) Pros it's "much faster." But when would you need that speed unless you are downloading large files? It's nearly negligible (when it works) in loading web sites.

Maybe I'm crazy or something's wrong with my EVO. Anyone else having these issues?
I have a strong 4G signal at my job but I never turn it on. Not worth the battery drain as 3G speeds are fast enough. If I was able to just leave it on and not worry about batter, then I would do so.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

I have pretty regular 4G and use it all the time. In the last two weeks, it has gotten stronger, in that I stay connected in the house. It used to be I had to stand on the porch. I guess they are rolling out to more towers.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO

edufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good work

It is much better now with the OTA update. Farther reaching signals and a little faster than before... plus, much less battery drain. If you were rooted and manually got the update, you may not have gotten the radio update. That part is KEY.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

tj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartj.iscool is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I don't even use mines cause the signal drops & it goes
back to 3G
Old 06-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Just hit 8mbps on far north east side of palate tonight. I love my 4g.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

boba1213 is a n00b

Right now I'm sitting in central Palatine but never have service in my house. Just stating that when I'm in the city the 4g sucks.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

madoc is keeping up the good workmadoc is keeping up the good work

[QUOTE=cornelious2;1846554]Just hit 8mbps on far north east side of palate tonight. I love my 4g.]

A friend of mine hit 8, which is completely insane. What was your ping? zero?

Pretty good question by OP now that we've all had EVOs for a while. I live in Dallas, and pretty much never use 4G. Not sure why, I guess 3G just works well enough for me. 3G is not slow, so I am not starving for speed. The only time I turn on 4G is to see if I can get a signal - then I turn it off.

Battery drain was my big fear, but I honestly haven't even given 4G another chance since I rooted and installed a custom ROM.

I'm going to leave mine on all day tomorrow just to see what happens...
Old 06-30-2010, 10:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch

2logical is a n00b

I occaisonally use 4g but usually the signal is a bit unreliable. When i get a strong 4gg signal the first thing i do is run a speedtest, haha. I don't even surf with it u.ntil after i get some readings. I'd be more compelled to use it if i diddnt occaisonally almost 2mbps on my 3g signal. When 3g is running like that i don't even think about the 4g. And also I diddnt get an evo because of 4g. I just wanted to try an android device(and wanted to get the best one i could)
Old 06-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

I would use it if I could

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G