PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 01:14 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.0.18302/18.738; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Overall I'm liking the EVO. A few little issues, I need to figure out how to keep discovery on on Bluetooth. my handsfree won't connect otherwise.
The marketplace is pissing me off. I bought an app then rooted the phone, app disappeared from the marketplace and doesn't showin my purchase history.
Slingplayer is not available yet and the security camera system I have at my work had an app for every platform but android.
This is only my first day, and I'm loving it.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:15 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

f1n3st is a n00b
Re: thinking about getting the evo, have a few ?s

I switched to an EVO as well coming from a tp2, tp, & mogul. and just like you, the keyboard was one of the main things i was concerned about as well. I decided to pull the trigger and get the evo because it was so damn fast. At first i wanted to check out all the customization options and i wasn't impressed, i kept researching and found out that the android OS is very complex in its own way compared to the windows mobile OS.

the text is actually pretty good, the feature i like is that if you hit the buttons on the screen it vibrates, i cant recall if this happened on the tp2 since i only used the keyboard.

i dont know about the resizing but for the deadzones question, i've actually experienced better reception at alot of places so im pretty sure the reception is better.

you wont be disappointed when you get the phone! when you get it though, remember to do some of the battery tweaks found in the forum, good luck with finding the phone!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

@ f1n3st
tp2 vibrated on screen presses too. it's not as subtle as the EVO's feedback though.

@ulysses don't forget the keyboard has speech to text built in and it's very accurate. So you could actually just speak your words
Old 06-10-2010, 03:34 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

I am a tall guy with big hands and the added screen size and overall size of the phone will fit me perfectly. I have the TP2 and the keyboard is just a little bit small for me, since I have bigger fingers I tend to hit keys I should be...but with the Evo and the bigger screen= bigger buttons means I shouldn't have a problem at all. I have already tested it and I can say from testing that I hit the words I need, and nothing more.

The resizing of the pictures is just the nature of cell phones, imagine a 8px shot, being over a few mb and sending that to as a SMS...not really logical...but I think if you email it to the person your trying to send it to you send it full size...I'm not sure...maybe there is a setting in the phone to make it to allow full size pictures.

Signal strength is weird, every phone is different...I would hope it was good..but I can't say till I get it...and test it...compared to my TP2...but I think it will be moderate to good compared to your last phone you had.

Some issues have arised since the Evo release, but thats to be expected....since it's brand new and your all guniepigs...that why I'm waiting till August to get mine...hopefully by then most of them will be ironed out...
Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

willnj is just getting started

I miss the hard keyboard but not enough to go back to the TP2. I love the EVO, I get better signal strength then the TP2, but I'm in the northeast so that might not be the same to you. I am still getting use to the keyboard and trying to decide between the HTC or swype for my needs. Both have pluses and minuses. I do like that the EVO is thinner, felts better in my pocket.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro

knlmwq is a n00b

I am also coming from a touch pro 2. Honestly, you will miss the hardware keyboard, even with the Evo screen being so big. I've had the phone since Monday June 7th. As of today I would not go back to my touch pro 2 even with it being superior as far as text input. That being said I am sure the more time I spend with the on screen keyboard the easier it will get
Old 06-10-2010, 08:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: sprint

Deathsicle is just getting started

I had the touch pro and as i heard about the Evo i stopped using the keyboard on the Tp to try to get used to the onscreen keyboard. It wasnt that hard of a change, and when i got the Evo , i didnt really mind the onscreen keyboard cause the screen was damn huge. Evo FTW... ooohh text to speach works pretty well as long as you say things clrearly
Old 06-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Sprint HTC Evo : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I was ready to return the evo after playing with it for a night as i had to type so much slower then on previous devices n was makin a sh!tload or typing errors. swype n shapewriter are kool n work well but i.m.o only in portrait n i prefer landscape view so the qwerty keyboard n manual input is something i use more. u def gotta b patient n u will totally trash whatever u r texting if u try n enter text at a pace u would on tp2 .. im still missing my physical keyboard but improved my typing big time .. viewing videos on this, at least the 1z i have so far r horrible looking n compare nothing to my touch slow 2 .. other then that i am WoW'd by the evo

Last edited by dumpringz; 06-10-2010 at 08:58 AM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G