PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

crollison is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Evo for Business Use

So, been watching the forums and trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger. One thing that has been hard to determine is how many of you are using the evo in a business line. I am coming from a Diamond, so I know that I would be blown away by speed, but I'm used to the features of Windows Mobile, especially Push for Exchange. That is by far the most important feature.

RDP is also important, but from what I have heard it is a paid app, as long as only a couple bucks, that not a biggie. 4g is not an issue, I live in the boonies, but am lucky to have EVDO very strong.

I regularly view Word/Powerpoint/Excel documents on my phone, but hardly ever try to edit them, so I think that would work fine.

I've thought of waiting on Win7 phones to come out, but worry that we are not going to have the level of control that we had in current Win phones. I love multitasking and have loaded constant ROM's to get different results (it's like getting a new phone constantly) When Win7 comes out, I think it's going to be like buying an iphone, hardly any customization. So Android seems like the only avenue for mass customization.

Battery life is one major concern, but when managed and hopefully in future ROM development hopefully it will get better (I only want to get through the day, currently if I take a few calls and use the internet I'm going to have to recharge at some point anyway, god forbid I get in a low signal area then it's dead in an hour)

So, to the question, is the EVO ready for the Business Area or is still a consumer phone? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: sprint

taylor7667 is a n00b
Re: Evo for Business Use

I picked up the EVO on Friday after using the Tre Pro with WinMo 6.1. I would consider myself a business user as all I really use is the phone, calendar, email, SMS and camera. I love this phone for those features and of course it is a major upgrade from my Treo Pro. I would say however, that the EVO is more of a media phone and not geared toward the business user. That said, it is perfect for my needs since it is totally customizable and the any business applications you might need cost 1/8th of the cost of WM applications.

My advice is to get the phone. It will do anything you need at twice the speed of any phone out there, IMO.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Ok, this is my take on this so far.

Editing office files, you can use Google Docs for online editing as an option. Viewing them, has a few options, one app quickoffice is already included on the unit.

Battery life is similar to the Touch Pro 2, once you get past the initial playing with the phone constantly. I would suggest tuning the unit, as you probably did with the Diamond. Turn off the auto brightness and leave it at a 1/3rd setting, turn off GPS, limit your bluetooth use. Remove the live wallpaper. Turn off 4G. Watch the data usage on apps that you might install.

I've had no problems with battery life. since I got the phone on friday, I used it like crazy and got to 50%, put it on a charger. Saturday morning, same love affair, to 50%, back on charger before stepping out for the day. Got back home from a full charge using the phone for more than a dozen calls, some internet and gps use it was still at 72%. (this includes random facebook access, checking ppcgeeks, some gmail and a few sms, I took a few pictures and uploaded them to facebook as well)

What I suggest is that after you install any apps, you watch the battery usage screen and see what, if anything, is using up abnormal battery.

It is a matter of personal preferences YMMV. I too had a Diamond (as well as PPC6700, Treos, Moguls, G1, Vogues, Touch Pros, Moment, Touch Pro 2). As long as I had internet access, I am fine.

-CC

Last edited by clockcycle; 06-07-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

One thing the phone has is "Scenes" when clicked on it gives you options to switch between modes. Examples: Social, Work, Travel, etc. So the devices comes in Sprint mode you can easily change to "Work" or what ever. Work mode has your email right in your face instead of say Pictures. Scenes are like different logins in windows. It be like have a login for work and one for traveling. Its very cool .

Droidrox39
Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

reprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

This phone can definitely be used within a business perspective as I currently use it within that genre of user. You can sync via Microsoft Exchange without any issue.

ES File Explorer - For navigating files
Dataviz Documents to Go Pro - For viewing and editing documents, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF (non-editable I believe)

There are programs for RDP and I do believe you can also do remote file access. I cannot vouch for these functions as I do not use them. Contacts and Calendar are all there out of the box and just as usable as WM 6.* with the exception that Calendar categories are not ported to Android.

All in all, this device is more usable in my perspective in comparison to the WM devices for the strict reason that the devices just work all the time without question and you will not experience any delays in business functions due to system glitches, etc.

Last edited by reprod; 06-07-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:50 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Yes this phone will not make you look like a doosh in front of others.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone23 View Post
Yes this phone will not make you look like a doosh in front of others.

Unless that's what you want it to do..

-CC
Old 06-07-2010, 11:13 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

If you're sticking with Sprint, this is the best overall phone. The Touch Pro2 is best for business, but it's just too slow compared to what's out now.

Business users usually want a hardware keyboard and long battery life. I guess if you're coming from a diamond and its tiny screen, you probably don't care about keyboards. As for battery life, I think you can get 24 hours with light use and maybe 15 with moderate. It all depends how you use it of course.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

drnick5 is just getting started

I've been running windows mobile since I was on nextel with my i930... I sync with exchange and use this phone to stay in touch with the office all the time. I was a little worried about the jump from WM 6.5 to Android but I've had enough with the slowness and bugginess of windows mobile.

setting up the evo was a breeze, just sync with activesync and down come all your emails and contacts.. the ONLY gripe I have is that you can not sync tasks.. its not a deal breaker for me as I mainly use them at the office but it was nice before if I happened to think of something I needed to get done the following day I could create a task right form my phone and it would be at my desk waiting for me the next morning.

if you can live without syncing tasks with outlook, I'd definitely say to make the jump. from the diamond to this will be a WORLD of a difference.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 AM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I think tasks is the only down fall business wise but there are ways around that

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G