PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 05:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Ipaq, Imagio, Evo 4G
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Sit Bits is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Am I ready to flash a ROM...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLovatScout View Post
so did i just do the backup with Rom Manager? if so, do i just need to wipe absolutely everything and then flash cyanogen?
If you use rom manager it will backup, wipe and install new rom for you.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO 2 (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

ModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
re: EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim8181 View Post
Hey Mod, I'm just trolling around just in case I make the move to EVO/Android (Now that the SERO plans are more Android friendly).
Just trying to stay ahead of the game.
Are you still on TP2/TW roms? Or did you switch?
I wish I had a sero I have a fair&flex plan and unfortunatly those changes to the plans didn't count towards F&F plans.

So Im stuck on the TP2. I wont budge and pay $80+ for a plan that I only pay 40 for a new device. They can kiss my

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

chachu is a n00b
Re: Scared "rootless" to root my EVO : )

Hey guys one quick question. Is the latest unrevoked method any different then doing the root the old way with command line? Are there any drawbacks/benefits from using one over the other.

One last thing. With either method, the first time I root I would lose all my sms/mms correct? After that I can run a nandroid backup prior to flashing a custom rom and that would retain anything up to that point.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Am I ready to flash a ROM...?

Quote:
I'm really sorry, but this are so many tutorials and different programs to use it's a little hard to find out if I'm ready or not. Here's what I've done:

- Rooted my phone using the one-click unrevoked 3.2.1 or whatever thing.
- Downloaded Rom Manager and backed up that current ROM.

Now I'm just kind of sitting here a little confused.

I'd like to download Cyanogen because it has a white taskbar, though it does have sense which I've never gone without sense so I don't even know if I'll like it. I was also told I can change the color of the taskbar and a lot more with Cyanogens' ROM. Yes? Maybe? No way? Also, I am still backing up this current ROM, does it usually take about 5 minutes?

Any help is much appreciated!

Cyanogenmod rom requires that you have an engineering bootloader.

ENG bootloader (0.76 needed for CM6) extended fastboot commands. - xda-developers
Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: To root, or not to root...

Quote:
Do I lose contacts, downloaded (paid for) apps and other things after root? I'm actually right about to root so a quick reply would be aaaamazing!

Rooting doesn't touch your current phone settings/contacts/apps etc...

Flashing a different ROM will..

-CC
Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff

I rooted my phone but i want to return to factory settings, like a clear storage or hard reset in windows mobile. I would like the phone to remain rooted. How do i do this?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO Rooted Stock 1.47
Carrier: SPrint

playya is becoming a great contributor

did you do a nand backup if you did then that would be my first suggestion and if not then just download a completely stock and rooted rom for here and load it up on your phone. There is a factory reset on your phone you try and it wont unroot your phone.

I would go with downloadiing a rooted stock rom deoxed rom myself.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff

I used unrevoked 3.2.1 so idk if that does a nand backup... but will that restore to the point where i made the back up... i want it back to how it was when i bought the phone but rooted... and i dont really want to flash a custom rom.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

The Sapient is keeping up the good workThe Sapient is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny View Post
I used unrevoked 3.2.1 so idk if that does a nand backup... but will that restore to the point where i made the back up... i want it back to how it was when i bought the phone but rooted... and i dont really want to flash a custom rom.
Did something change during the rooting process you don't like? Or are you trying to undo some change that was made after rooting?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny View Post
I rooted my phone but i want to return to factory settings, like a clear storage or hard reset in windows mobile. I would like the phone to remain rooted. How do i do this?
Go in to your recovery and "wipe". You can also use ##786#, but you need your MSL, that will factory reset your phone (note; this will only reset your current rom to what ever settings it came with as custom/default, if you're on a custom rom. If you are not on the stock rom, this "default" may not be the same as how it came originally from Sprint.)

-CC

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos