PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Systemfraud is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Systemfraud
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

I tried this guide, but failed at the very beginning.. Turned off phone like said, it scanned the zip, loads..then says

"Main Version is older!"
"Update Fail!"
"Do you want to reboot device?"

So, I pretty much can't even get passed that. :/ Any help? Thanks in advanced.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfraud View Post
I tried this guide, but failed at the very beginning.. Turned off phone like said, it scanned the zip, loads..then says

"Main Version is older!"
"Update Fail!"
"Do you want to reboot device?"

So, I pretty much can't even get passed that. :/ Any help? Thanks in advanced.
What software are you on and what Steps (Numbers/Letters) did you try? You may not have selected the correct tutorial.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Lurker

Systemfraud is a n00b

I'm on 1.47.651.1, does the other stuff matter? Like, Firmware version, Baseband version, Kernel version, etc? I JUST started following the guide, am I doing the wrong tutorial?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfraud View Post
I'm on 1.47.651.1, does the other stuff matter? Like, Firmware version, Baseband version, Kernel version, etc? I JUST started following the guide, am I doing the wrong tutorial?
If you started following the guide on Post #1 Step #1 you did start in the wrong spot. You need to start here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=792

Fast links it on Post #1 but a ways down. This is a different tutorial to use after the latest OTA update (1.47 Software)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Lurker

Systemfraud is a n00b

Okay, I'll give this a shot, thanks a ton! Will report back here if all is successful.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: NeXus S 4G

Rager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

ok ran into a problem step 5u in latest ota root once i throw it in bootloader it check the PC361IMG and it told me main version is older update failed reboot device?

Last edited by Rager02; 07-11-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaine02 View Post
ok ran into a problem step 5u in latest ota root once i throw it in bootloader it check the PC361IMG and it told me main version is older update failed reboot device?
That's the error you get when using the wrong pc36img file.
Make sure the file you're using is the eng-pc36img file that you renamed. It's not the same file that is listed in post 1 for section 1.
This file should be 175,073kb in size.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: NeXus S 4G

Rager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
That's the error you get when using the wrong pc36img file.
Make sure the file you're using is the eng-pc36img file that you renamed. It's not the same file that is listed in post 1 for section 1.
This file should be 175,073kb in size.
same file im using step 5s im getting error writing misc permission denied.any clues?i have the same size files as your pics everything identicle

Edit: after watching a video there are two things that happen different with my evo.
1)stated above misc permission denied.
2)on 5q it gives me this
app-cache/com.android.browser/BEC48C17295CAF9F550BCD500A0A6F03/.foo.PWsZ8k
crw-rw-rw- root root 90,

but then quickly goes back to "scanning" i have to power off and power on and continue with the next step and then everything goes well.

Last edited by Rager02; 07-11-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:07 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo 4g

grants04 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
EDIT:
LOL, when did I say that@ skipping Part II? Link the post please
If you are running Recovery then you have at least completed Part I or that could be from unrevoked.
In post #112 you linked to a video by FastRX8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oja2a...349&feature=iv). In that video, it only instructs you to type stuff in the Android Terminal Emulator once. I never could get my phone to ask me if I wanted to start the update the second time. In the video version, I did not have to go through it a second time...

From there I kind of did a hybrid of the recovery method in the video and that in post #1 (they are a little different). I went ahead and followed the video and was able to make a nand backup and did the three wipes (2x each) but since I did not have a new ROM ready on my sd card I just rebooted. I am not sure where I am at now. I hate doing this piecemeal but I had to quick last night.

My plan now is to find a ROM that I like and then figure out where to go in these steps. I am in Houston so I would not mind keeping 4G. Suggestions?

Also, my Q's are:

1. Can I use the Titanium backup I made before this root method to restore everything after the root?

2. Is there a ROM that will update the radio and wimax for me too? I am new to Android and would rather do it all at once if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
2C-Did you successfully switch the first PC36 file with the second (originally named eng-PC36IMG) by switching the names? What did you name the file?
If it scanned for the file but didnt open it then it's not named correctly.
Just a guess but a lot of users name it "PC36IMG.zip" BUT their file extensions are hidden by their PC so what they've really named it to is "PC36IMG.zip.zip"
Is that it?
No. That wasn't it. I did that part right the first time (added "root-" and deleted "eng-"). I never got to the step to rename them the second time because the phone read the zip file then went back to the menu, never asking me to update like it did the first time. Oh well, I **think** I successfully got past that part...
Old 07-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by grants04 View Post
In post #112 you linked to a video by FastRX8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oja2a...349&feature=iv). In that video, it only instructs you to type stuff in the Android Terminal Emulator once. I never could get my phone to ask me if I wanted to start the update the second time. In the video version, I did not have to go through it a second time...

From there I kind of did a hybrid of the recovery method in the video and that in post #1 (they are a little different). I went ahead and followed the video and was able to make a nand backup and did the three wipes (2x each) but since I did not have a new ROM ready on my sd card I just rebooted. I am not sure where I am at now. I hate doing this piecemeal but I had to quick last night.

My plan now is to find a ROM that I like and then figure out where to go in these steps. I am in Houston so I would not mind keeping 4G. Suggestions?

Also, my Q's are:

1. Can I use the Titanium backup I made before this root method to restore everything after the root?

2. Is there a ROM that will update the radio and wimax for me too? I am new to Android and would rather do it all at once if I can.
Oh good, dont feel so bad about not remembering as it was 800 posts ago
Titanium backup needs root access to work so I'm not sure how you were able to use it before the root?
There's a ROM that updates both radio and wimax successfully but I'd hold off on that till we make sure you're where you need to be.
The fact that you had to do the manual recovery method (@5:00 in the vid) means at best-you didnt apply the recovery image correctly and at worst you didnt unlock Nand-I fear that may be the case as you were have issues with the eng-PC36 file which unlocks Nand. (continued below)

Quote:
No. That wasn't it. I did that part right the first time (added "root-" and deleted "eng-"). I never got to the step to rename them the second time because the phone read the zip file then went back to the menu, never asking me to update like it did the first time. Oh well, I **think** I successfully got past that part...
Well you cant just "get past" that part. Check your hboot version.
Boot into boot loader and look at what version you have:

.79 your on the stock bootloader=you're "partially rooted" and need to redo the eng-PC36 step again. Possibilities:
Your file was corrupted-a lot of users have been getting incomplete DL's lately (I think you said you verified this-but triple check)
You didnt apply the eng-mtd file correctly is another possibility.

.76.2 means your Nand unlocked and fully rooted but if you stll have Recovery issues then something went wrong when you flashed the recovery.img
This post has been thanked 3 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos