PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 02:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4g/Sprint
Carrier: Sprint

MarcusInMD is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
EVO "Unrootable"?

The fact that Sprint is requiring (seems to be confirmed now too) that you have the Wifi hot spot add-on in order to activate the wifi on the phone leads me to believe that once people have this phone in hand they will find that it's not rootable.

I am not real savvy on rooting android phones, but it seems to me that this might be the direction that providers are going in with these phones in order to maintain add-on sales for the devices.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:54 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Re: EVO "Unrootable"?

There isnt a such thing as unrootable... I give it 2 weeks tops before its rooted. Keep in mind its the software thats rooted not the phone itself... and 2.1 has been rooted long ago.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

The Droid was the only Motorola phone able to be rooted, according to Motorola, but I saw a story about the backflip being rooted a few weeks back. Even the Desire was supposed to be really difficult to root, but was rooted just prior to its launch. The evo won't be any different. It may be difficult, but it can be done.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4g/Sprint
Threadstarter

MarcusInMD is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
There isnt a such thing as unrootable... I give it 2 weeks tops before its rooted. Keep in mind its the software thats rooted not the phone itself... and 2.1 has been rooted long ago.

I read somewhere that Motorola has done something to make their phones unrootable. I will have to see if I can dig that up.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:58 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Yea and motorola phones have been rooted already.. hell apple has been trying to make iphones un-jailbreakable for years now and everytime they come out with a new OS a new jailbreak comes out. Itll be the same with these phones... they wont create a phone anytime soon that cant be rooted.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:08 PM
xSD
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EViO 4G

xSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuff

Reverse engineering folks. There is always a way to go backwards in programming.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:15 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

There's no such thing as safe code. Only code that has yet to be exploited....
Old 05-14-2010, 03:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

TheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuff

Tell that to the PS3 crowd. It still has been completely broken yet and its been years. I'm sure the Evo will get broken quickly enough. Although with its current features and design I'd be happy with it either way.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusInMD View Post
The fact that Sprint is requiring (seems to be confirmed now too) that you have the Wifi hot spot add-on in order to activate the wifi on the phone leads me to believe that once people have this phone in hand they will find that it's not rootable.

I am not real savvy on rooting android phones, but it seems to me that this might be the direction that providers are going in with these phones in order to maintain add-on sales for the devices.
Where was that confirmed? I know it says that on the website, but I was holding oput hope that Sprint changed their mind or it was a typo or whatever...
Old 05-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: A Perma-Temp Rooted HTC EVO 3D

RidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

everything will always be hackable at some point. maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but eventually. i agree... there is no such thing as safe code.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G