PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 05:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular

Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

When I got my Sprint Diamond about a year ago, the stock ROM was simply not to live with - very poor battery life, very sluggish, heavily crippled... Like many others here, I've been looking for that good ROM.

Tried Groove, Mighty ... and even cooked my own. None was ideal, but I stayed with Mighty 3.9. Still some problems:

***Picasaweb won't take photos mailed from this ROM.
***Freeze during charging, as soon as I install AgePhone, even after I removed it.
***Radio bars are fake - either full bars, or no bar, seldom between.
***VOIP apps crashes often for no reason. Never could get the built-in VOIP to work.

Until one day I happened to play with a Verizon Diamond. Man, smooth, snappy, no garbages like TouchFlo3D, superb battery life. Obviously, this shipped ROM has been polished very well after the initial release a year ago. I want it ever since.

However, nobody has posted the Verizon ROM for us. Hopelessly, I went to HTC website and, luckily, saw the new Sprint ROM.

This ROM is all I wanted, just like the Verizon ROM. No any problem so far. GPS (TomTom7.9), Internet, VOIP all work fine, no more crash during charging and other times. Picasaweb now takes my emailed photos. BTW, I use this phone on Verizon (PagePlusCellular prepaid actually). No more those Sprint junk that pop up all the time like before, such as provisioning and guarding etc.

This ROM comes with radio 1.11.00F, the very best so far. Much better signal than before and it is real, because now the bars goes up and down gradually, staying at full bars most of the time, never drops suddenly to 0 like the Mighty does.

The Opera Mobile 9.5 15945 in this ROM finally works smoothly, smooth enough to be actually usable, which was never true before. Auto-fill now works. It is no longer that hot while running and it no longer use CPU time while idle. This version might not be all the reason, I think it is this ROM that makes it to run much better than before.

Bye to custom ROMs for now, you guys gave me a wonderful time. Some people might still want a custom ROM for some cooked-in features, but this Sprint new ROM has everything I need. I'm not a fan of ever-adding features; unfortunately this is what most of the cookers here do, other than spending time just to do more test and bug fix.

Last edited by Fixup; 10-03-2009 at 06:00 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:33 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Since you really like the April Rom Upgrade from Sprint/HTC, do yourself a favor and check out this thread. The OP, with the help of a couple of heavy weights, has taken the exact rom you mention, and stripped out all of the unnecessary Sprint clutter. Everything else is left untouched. It runs faster, smoother, is equally as stable, and has more memory available. Should be perfect for what you have been looking for.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=64695
Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 PM
intx is the sexiest VIP
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to intx Send a message via Yahoo to intx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixup View Post
When I got my Sprint Diamond about a year ago, the stock ROM was simply not to live with - very poor battery life, very sluggish, heavily crippled... Like many others here, I've been looking for that good ROM.

Tried Groove, Mighty ... and even cooked my own. None was ideal, but I stayed with Mighty 3.9. Still some problems:

***Picasaweb won't take photos mailed from this ROM.
***Freeze during charging, as soon as I install AgePhone, even after I removed it.
***Radio bars are fake - either full bars, or no bar, seldom between.
***VOIP apps crashes often for no reason. Never could get the built-in VOIP to work.

Until one day I happened to play with a Verizon Diamond. Man, smooth, snappy, no garbages like TouchFlo3D, superb battery life. Obviously, this shipped ROM has been polished very well after the initial release a year ago. I want it ever since.

However, nobody has posted the Verizon ROM for us. Hopelessly, I went to HTC website and, luckily, saw the new Sprint ROM.

This ROM is all I wanted, just like the Verizon ROM. No any problem so far. GPS (TomTom7.9), Internet, VOIP all work fine, no more crash during charging and other times. Picasaweb now takes my emailed photos. BTW, I use this phone on Verizon (PagePlusCellular prepaid actually). No more those Sprint junk that pop up all the time like before, such as provisioning and guarding etc.

This ROM comes with radio 1.11.00F, the very best so far. Much better signal than before and it is real, because now the bars goes up and down gradually, staying at full bars most of the time, never drops suddenly to 0 like the Mighty does.

The Opera Mobile 9.5 15945 in this ROM finally works smoothly, smooth enough to be actually usable, which was never true before. Auto-fill now works. It is no longer that hot while running and it no longer use CPU time while idle. This version might not be all the reason, I think it is this ROM that makes it to run much better than before.

Bye to custom ROMs for now, you guys gave me a wonderful time. Some people might still want a custom ROM for some cooked-in features, but this Sprint new ROM has everything I need. I'm not a fan of ever-adding features; unfortunately this is what most of the cookers here do, other than spending time just to do more test and bug fix.
Honestly, a lot of the stuff you're saying has to do with the radio. You realize you can flash your own radio at any point in time, right? Sprint 1.11 is actually outdated as of now, I believe(they released a newer one) and if you haven't tried the Telus one, you should.

Overall, I don't believe you should give up on custom ROMs due to a few bad experiences(and the one you were mentioning Mighty 3.9 is quite outdated).

Donate if you like my work!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thank you guys for the suggestions. The Sprint ROM works so fine, I have no motivation to try any custom ROM. You know, whenever you remove/change something in a ROM without extensive test, something might break somewhere.

Yes, I have tried all radio ROMs, including newer ones, none is like the 1.11.00F. May be it is the comb of this radio and this ROM that make the perfect match.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:59 PM
intx is the sexiest VIP

intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP

Quote:
Thank you guys for the suggestions. The Sprint ROM works so fine, I have no motivation to try any custom ROM. You know, whenever you remove/change something in a ROM without extensive test, something might break somewhere.

Yes, I have tried all radio ROMs, including newer ones, none is like the 1.11.00F. May be it is the comb of this radio and this ROM that make the perfect match.
That's why we continue testing to make things better.

You may be content with your device not getting better, but I'm not. That's why I'm a cook.

And a quick FYI, bars are completely worthless. You need to run the test, imo.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: x
Carrier: x

Primenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Use what you want, if that's good enough for you great.

I've used many perfect custom roms both mine and others, and also ones with bugs.

The stock roms always have some bugs themselves (the HTC/Sprint programmers aren't Gods hence new stock releases) or at least shortcomings.

They always come with extra stuff that you won't use and takes up space, also many inferior settings and outdated programs, if it's good enough for you Great, but it's not good enough for me...... I have a great BUG-Free Rom right now that kicks the Stock Roms butt.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:48 PM
intx is the sexiest VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primenall View Post
Use what you want, if that's good enough for you great.

I've used many perfect custom roms both mine and others, and also ones with bugs.

The stock roms always have some bugs themselves (the HTC/Sprint programmers aren't Gods hence new stock releases) or at least shortcomings.

They always come with extra stuff that you won't use and takes up space, also many inferior settings and outdated programs, if it's good enough for you Great, but it's not good enough for me...... I have a great BUG-Free Rom right now that kicks the Stock Roms butt.
Precisely my thoughts.

I'm using my Premier ROM which is completely bug free and supports ESPT and Update PRL, just like your stock ROM.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I buy a phone to use it, not to cook it unless really necessary. Yes I know signal bars mean nothing but at least it is not fake like mighty 3.9.

Good enough is enoigh, cooking is fan but not the purpose.

Last edited by Fixup; 10-03-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc snap ceda100 s510
Carrier: Telus

Jadall is just getting started
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (Windows Mobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35432; U; en) Presto/2.2.1)

the roms I like so far are intx premier and energy rom genesis is nice too I am using my telus radio works good
Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 AM
intx is the sexiest VIP

Quote:
I buy a phone to use it, not to cook it unless really necessary. Yes I know signal bars mean nothing but at least it is not fake like mighty 3.9.

Good enough is enoigh, cooking is fan but not the purpose.
I purchased a Windows Mobile phone because I knew that it was customizable, and I love the fact I can push the limits of what is thought possible on a phone and always upgrade it without spending the cash.

If you're purchasing a phone just to use it(IE the basic texter/caller) then I believe you made a horrific mistake in purchasing a WM phone. Any proprietary OS phone such as the Instinct would have done you much greater good since it's almost completely stable and just works(though it doesn't do much ). Even a Blackberry or Palm may have been a much better fit for you, from what I can tell.

I like the fact that my phone can do virtually everything my PC can, for example:

I can use it as a Wifi access point.
I can edit Photoshop files with my graphics program.
I can access FTP and upload/download stuff on the go.
Watching Powerpoint presentations and editing them with the right software? I can do it.
I can watch flash videos(for example I watched NCAA March Madness in class last year)
I can browse any website like a PC.

Just a few things that most phones can barely do one of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadall View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (Windows Mobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35432; U; en) Presto/2.2.1)

the roms I like so far are intx premier and energy rom genesis is nice too I am using my telus radio works good
Thanks for the callout Jadall. I'm using the Telus radio as well and I have virtually no heat, great battery life and good data speeds.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond