PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2009, 05:57 AM
Fixup's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 166
Reputation: 130
Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

When I got my Sprint Diamond about a year ago, the stock ROM was simply not to live with - very poor battery life, very sluggish, heavily crippled... Like many others here, I've been looking for that good ROM.

Tried Groove, Mighty ... and even cooked my own. None was ideal, but I stayed with Mighty 3.9. Still some problems:

***Picasaweb won't take photos mailed from this ROM.
***Freeze during charging, as soon as I install AgePhone, even after I removed it.
***Radio bars are fake - either full bars, or no bar, seldom between.
***VOIP apps crashes often for no reason. Never could get the built-in VOIP to work.

......

Until one day I happened to play with a Verizon Diamond. Man, smooth, snappy, no garbages like TouchFlo3D, superb battery life. Obviously, this shipped ROM has been polished very well after the initial release a year ago. I want it ever since.

However, nobody has posted the Verizon ROM for us. Hopelessly, I went to HTC website and, luckily, saw the new Sprint ROM.

This ROM is all I wanted, just like the Verizon ROM. No any problem so far. GPS (TomTom7.9), Internet, VOIP all work fine, no more crash during charging and other times. Picasaweb now takes my emailed photos. BTW, I use this phone on Verizon (PagePlusCellular prepaid actually). No more those Sprint junk that pop up all the time like before, such as provisioning and guarding etc.

This ROM comes with radio 1.11.00F, the very best so far. Much better signal than before and it is real, because now the bars goes up and down gradually, staying at full bars most of the time, never drops suddenly to 0 like the Mighty does.

The Opera Mobile 9.5 15945 in this ROM finally works smoothly, smooth enough to be actually usable, which was never true before. Auto-fill now works. It is no longer that hot while running and it no longer use CPU time while idle. This version might not be all the reason, I think it is this ROM that makes it to run much better than before.

Bye to custom ROMs for now, you guys gave me a wonderful time. Some people might still want a custom ROM for some cooked-in features, but this Sprint new ROM has everything I need. I'm not a fan of ever-adding features; unfortunately this is what most of the cookers here do, other than spending time just to do more test and bug fix.

Last edited by Fixup; 10-03-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2009, 09:33 AM
wmdunn's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T
Location: Phoenix, AZ
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,550
Reputation: 2510
wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Since you really like the April Rom Upgrade from Sprint/HTC, do yourself a favor and check out this thread. The OP, with the help of a couple of heavy weights, has taken the exact rom you mention, and stripped out all of the unnecessary Sprint clutter. Everything else is left untouched. It runs faster, smoother, is equally as stable, and has more memory available. Should be perfect for what you have been looking for.

05-05-09 Almost Stock Sprint Rom Build 2 and Kitchen Base
__________________
"Wise men still seek Him ... "
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 PM
intx's Avatar
intx is the sexiest VIP
Offline
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,000
Reputation: 2655
intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to intx Send a message via Yahoo to intx
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixup View Post
When I got my Sprint Diamond about a year ago, the stock ROM was simply not to live with - very poor battery life, very sluggish, heavily crippled... Like many others here, I've been looking for that good ROM.

Tried Groove, Mighty ... and even cooked my own. None was ideal, but I stayed with Mighty 3.9. Still some problems:

***Picasaweb won't take photos mailed from this ROM.
***Freeze during charging, as soon as I install AgePhone, even after I removed it.
***Radio bars are fake - either full bars, or no bar, seldom between.
***VOIP apps crashes often for no reason. Never could get the built-in VOIP to work.

......

Until one day I happened to play with a Verizon Diamond. Man, smooth, snappy, no garbages like TouchFlo3D, superb battery life. Obviously, this shipped ROM has been polished very well after the initial release a year ago. I want it ever since.

However, nobody has posted the Verizon ROM for us. Hopelessly, I went to HTC website and, luckily, saw the new Sprint ROM.

This ROM is all I wanted, just like the Verizon ROM. No any problem so far. GPS (TomTom7.9), Internet, VOIP all work fine, no more crash during charging and other times. Picasaweb now takes my emailed photos. BTW, I use this phone on Verizon (PagePlusCellular prepaid actually). No more those Sprint junk that pop up all the time like before, such as provisioning and guarding etc.

This ROM comes with radio 1.11.00F, the very best so far. Much better signal than before and it is real, because now the bars goes up and down gradually, staying at full bars most of the time, never drops suddenly to 0 like the Mighty does.

The Opera Mobile 9.5 15945 in this ROM finally works smoothly, smooth enough to be actually usable, which was never true before. Auto-fill now works. It is no longer that hot while running and it no longer use CPU time while idle. This version might not be all the reason, I think it is this ROM that makes it to run much better than before.

Bye to custom ROMs for now, you guys gave me a wonderful time. Some people might still want a custom ROM for some cooked-in features, but this Sprint new ROM has everything I need. I'm not a fan of ever-adding features; unfortunately this is what most of the cookers here do, other than spending time just to do more test and bug fix.
Honestly, a lot of the stuff you're saying has to do with the radio. You realize you can flash your own radio at any point in time, right? Sprint 1.11 is actually outdated as of now, I believe(they released a newer one) and if you haven't tried the Telus one, you should.

Overall, I don't believe you should give up on custom ROMs due to a few bad experiences(and the one you were mentioning Mighty 3.9 is quite outdated).
__________________
Use intxROM


Donate if you like my work!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Fixup's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 166
Reputation: 130
Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. The Sprint ROM works so fine, I have no motivation to try any custom ROM. You know, whenever you remove/change something in a ROM without extensive test, something might break somewhere.

Yes, I have tried all radio ROMs, including newer ones, none is like the 1.11.00F. May be it is the comb of this radio and this ROM that make the perfect match.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2009, 02:59 PM
intx's Avatar
intx is the sexiest VIP
Offline
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,000
Reputation: 2655
intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to intx Send a message via Yahoo to intx
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixup View Post
Thank you guys for the suggestions. The Sprint ROM works so fine, I have no motivation to try any custom ROM. You know, whenever you remove/change something in a ROM without extensive test, something might break somewhere.

Yes, I have tried all radio ROMs, including newer ones, none is like the 1.11.00F. May be it is the comb of this radio and this ROM that make the perfect match.
That's why we continue testing to make things better.

You may be content with your device not getting better, but I'm not. That's why I'm a cook.

And a quick FYI, bars are completely worthless. You need to run the test, imo.
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Primenall's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: x
Carrier: x
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 390
Reputation: 382
Primenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Use what you want, if that's good enough for you great.

I've used many perfect custom roms both mine and others, and also ones with bugs.

The stock roms always have some bugs themselves (the HTC/Sprint programmers aren't Gods hence new stock releases) or at least shortcomings.

They always come with extra stuff that you won't use and takes up space, also many inferior settings and outdated programs, if it's good enough for you Great, but it's not good enough for me...... I have a great BUG-Free Rom right now that kicks the Stock Roms butt.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2009, 06:48 PM
intx's Avatar
intx is the sexiest VIP
Offline
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,000
Reputation: 2655
intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to intx Send a message via Yahoo to intx
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primenall View Post
Use what you want, if that's good enough for you great.

I've used many perfect custom roms both mine and others, and also ones with bugs.

The stock roms always have some bugs themselves (the HTC/Sprint programmers aren't Gods hence new stock releases) or at least shortcomings.

They always come with extra stuff that you won't use and takes up space, also many inferior settings and outdated programs, if it's good enough for you Great, but it's not good enough for me...... I have a great BUG-Free Rom right now that kicks the Stock Roms butt.
Precisely my thoughts.

I'm using my Premier ROM which is completely bug free and supports ESPT and Update PRL, just like your stock ROM.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Fixup's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 166
Reputation: 130
Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

I buy a phone to use it, not to cook it unless really necessary. Yes I know signal bars mean nothing but at least it is not fake like mighty 3.9.

Good enough is enoigh, cooking is fan but not the purpose.

Last edited by Fixup; 10-03-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2009, 03:05 AM
Jadall's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: Htc snap ceda100 s510
Carrier: Telus
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 96
Reputation: 30
Jadall is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (Windows Mobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35432; U; en) Presto/2.2.1)

the roms I like so far are intx premier and energy rom genesis is nice too I am using my telus radio works good
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 AM
intx's Avatar
intx is the sexiest VIP
Offline
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,000
Reputation: 2655
intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to intx Send a message via Yahoo to intx
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixup View Post
I buy a phone to use it, not to cook it unless really necessary. Yes I know signal bars mean nothing but at least it is not fake like mighty 3.9.

Good enough is enoigh, cooking is fan but not the purpose.
I purchased a Windows Mobile phone because I knew that it was customizable, and I love the fact I can push the limits of what is thought possible on a phone and always upgrade it without spending the cash.

If you're purchasing a phone just to use it(IE the basic texter/caller) then I believe you made a horrific mistake in purchasing a WM phone. Any proprietary OS phone such as the Instinct would have done you much greater good since it's almost completely stable and just works(though it doesn't do much ). Even a Blackberry or Palm may have been a much better fit for you, from what I can tell.

I like the fact that my phone can do virtually everything my PC can, for example:

I can use it as a Wifi access point.
I can edit Photoshop files with my graphics program.
I can access FTP and upload/download stuff on the go.
Watching Powerpoint presentations and editing them with the right software? I can do it.
I can watch flash videos(for example I watched NCAA March Madness in class last year)
I can browse any website like a PC.

Just a few things that most phones can barely do one of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadall View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.7 (Windows Mobile; PPC; Opera Mobi/35432; U; en) Presto/2.2.1)

the roms I like so far are intx premier and energy rom genesis is nice too I am using my telus radio works good
Thanks for the callout Jadall. I'm using the Telus radio as well and I have virtually no heat, great battery life and good data speeds.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com