PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 AM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart
Re: Still looking for that good ROM? No longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixup View Post
You guys are too young to know DOS and what I'm talking about.
Um, i'm 21 and make batch files and spend a lot of time in DOS and other shells. I remember the old norton interface as well. Also, i know that it has nothing to do with windows mobile. I understand your comparison. I also understand that remembering DOS "and what you're talking about" has nothing to do with the initial point that you are choosing a crippled interface because you made a fatal error in choosing your phone. If you used norton enough to bring it up here, you're obviously not a very avid user anyhow. Go get a Blackberry and stop telling us we're too young.

Sponsored by Kools.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:40 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Quote:
You guys are too young to know DOS and what I'm talking about.
Give it a rest, Bud ... like Bradart said, age has nothing to do with this. By the way, I was born in 1946 ... you do the math.

Last edited by wmdunn; 10-05-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:01 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

63?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:35 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
63?
I knew it would surprise most of the people around here. I act and feel much younger, but guess I'm just about eligible for the "old farts" forum.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Verizon

Toushi is a n00b

The only good custom rom I have ever used was juicy's. Everyone elses had a whole bunch of custom crap, and really really buggy. And even juicy's newer roms are becoming buggy. I am really tempted to just go back to the stock rom.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: verizon

tomcliz is a n00b

Quote:
When I got my Sprint Diamond about a year ago, the stock ROM was simply not to live with - very poor battery life, very sluggish, heavily crippled... Like many others here, I've been looking for that good ROM.

Tried Groove, Mighty ... and even cooked my own. None was ideal, but I stayed with Mighty 3.9. Still some problems:

***Picasaweb won't take photos mailed from this ROM.
***Freeze during charging, as soon as I install AgePhone, even after I removed it.
***Radio bars are fake - either full bars, or no bar, seldom between.
***VOIP apps crashes often for no reason. Never could get the built-in VOIP to work.

Until one day I happened to play with a Verizon Diamond. Man, smooth, snappy, no garbages like TouchFlo3D, superb battery life. Obviously, this shipped ROM has been polished very well after the initial release a year ago. I want it ever since.

However, nobody has posted the Verizon ROM for us. Hopelessly, I went to HTC website and, luckily, saw the new Sprint ROM.

This ROM is all I wanted, just like the Verizon ROM. No any problem so far. GPS (TomTom7.9), Internet, VOIP all work fine, no more crash during charging and other times. Picasaweb now takes my emailed photos. BTW, I use this phone on Verizon (PagePlusCellular prepaid actually). No more those Sprint junk that pop up all the time like before, such as provisioning and guarding etc.

This ROM comes with radio 1.11.00F, the very best so far. Much better signal than before and it is real, because now the bars goes up and down gradually, staying at full bars most of the time, never drops suddenly to 0 like the Mighty does.

The Opera Mobile 9.5 15945 in this ROM finally works smoothly, smooth enough to be actually usable, which was never true before. Auto-fill now works. It is no longer that hot while running and it no longer use CPU time while idle. This version might not be all the reason, I think it is this ROM that makes it to run much better than before.

Bye to custom ROMs for now, you guys gave me a wonderful time. Some people might still want a custom ROM for some cooked-in features, but this Sprint new ROM has everything I need. I'm not a fan of ever-adding features; unfortunately this is what most of the cookers here do, other than spending time just to do more test and bug fix.
fix up: got a question for ya:
i also have a sprint diamond, trying to make it work on the page plus, the dealer activate my meid on the network and i got a number for my meid, but when i call the *22890 to program the phone, it still tell me to contact the sprint customer service.. .. can you tell me what u done to make it work ? thanks a million cuz im so desperate to make my phone work
Old 10-05-2009, 03:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular
Threadstarter

Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work

You need to program your Sprint phone manually (##778#). Of course you then need to unlock it first to get SPL code (easy). Then you need to load a modified VZW PRL (found it in the Touch Pro forum).
Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: verizon

tomcliz is a n00b

Quote:
You need to program your Sprint phone manually (##778#). Of course you then need to unlock it first to get SPL code (easy). Then you need to load a modified VZW PRL (found it in the Touch Pro forum).
thanks a lot man. i will treat you a dinner ( if ur in ny lol) after i finish everything. you basiclly save my life. my life sucks after my vogue broke down. im on verizon, but nobody selling tp or diamond for verizon so i can only buy a sprint one, but the esn swipe doesn't go so well, plus verizon want 30 dollar data plan, so this page plus thing save my *** from adding a line from tmobile with my friends...

ok im able to use it, for a 2:05 call it charge me 24cent, 8cent per min, but on the phone it tells me about digital roaming, but roaming is 59 cent. so any idea to get rid of the roaming service?
and thanks a million!

Last edited by tomcliz; 10-05-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:03 PM
intx is the sexiest VIP
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to intx Send a message via Yahoo to intx

Honestly, you guys took a bit too far.

He mentioned why he using Windows Mobile and I personally respect that. I do not agree with his decision of not flashing custom ROMs, but I am glad he gave a breakdown of why he enjoys that Sprint ROM and how he offered an alternative to custom ROMs.

Donate if you like my work!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular
Threadstarter

Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
Since you really like the April Rom Upgrade from Sprint/HTC, do yourself a favor and check out this thread. The OP, with the help of a couple of heavy weights, has taken the exact rom you mention, and stripped out all of the unnecessary Sprint clutter. Everything else is left untouched. It runs faster, smoother, is equally as stable, and has more memory available. Should be perfect for what you have been looking for.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=64695
First, thank you for the information.

To be fair, I give it a try. Only few hours after the flash, it locked up totally. You may say this is a coinstance, but the Sprint ROM has never locked up once ever since I flashed it in. I'll give it another chance, but as soon as it locks up again, I'll go back and never look back again.

This ROM does clean up alot (free storage/free program):

Sprint: 32.38/115.68
JCV: 82.80/154.82

This is what I've been saying: when you remove something from a fully tested and integrated ROM, you never know what will be broken. WM is not a truly modularized system. When you remove one module, other modules that depend on this one will not work properly.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond