PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Desire
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 12:04 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Us Cellular

menoats is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to menoats Send a message via Yahoo to menoats
Screen Scratch Test US Cellular?

For those of you with the HTC Desire for US Cellular has anyone manged to scratch their screen? Or be brave enough to do a screen scratch test purposely?

The first week I had mine I didn't have a screen protector applied but I was fairly careful. I purchased the screen protector but the thing looks terrible right now with scratches, mostly from my keys in my pocket.

I was looking at the Nexus One and the screen is really scratch resistant I'm sure not as good as the gorilla glass screens but still pretty good. The Desire is based on the Nexus One but I know US Cellular couldn't get the screens because of the shortages....

SooOOooo...long story short...has anyone scratched their screen by accident or has been brave enough to do a test?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: USCC

Scenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Screen Scratch Test US Cellular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoats View Post
For those of you with the HTC Desire for US Cellular has anyone manged to scratch their screen? Or be brave enough to do a screen scratch test purposely?
I am anal about my phones so I would never test this unless I already got it wet or something.

Quote:
The first week I had mine I didn't have a screen protector applied but I was fairly careful. I purchased the screen protector but the thing looks terrible right now with scratches, mostly from my keys in my pocket.
Simple solution, dedicate one pocket to your phone only, not even paper goes in that pocket.

Quote:
I was looking at the Nexus One and the screen is really scratch resistant I'm sure not as good as the gorilla glass screens but still pretty good. The Desire is based on the Nexus One but I know US Cellular couldn't get the screens because of the shortages....
You are confusing the screen with the lens. The shortage has to do with the screen, the lens is what goes over that and gets scratched. I don't believe the Desire has the same scratch resistant screen.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:49 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

menoats is a n00b

Thanks for the response the dedicated pocket seems like a good idea but I always forget which pocket is which or I run out of room. I didn't know about the lens and out portion of the screen. I thought they were all in one. You learn something everyday thanks. We should of got the same screen protection as the Nexus one. Shame we didn't.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Oditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Thanks for the response the dedicated pocket seems like a good idea but I always forget which pocket is which or I run out of room. I didn't know about the lens and out portion of the screen. I thought they were all in one. You learn something everyday thanks. We should of got the same screen protection as the Nexus one. Shame we didn't.

Now this really confuses me on all grounds. You put your phone ($300+), with a 3.7" screen in your pocket with the keys? Weird... OK so you don't wear shirts with pockets. (That is where I keep mine, unless I am walking, then I keep it in my back pocket, but as soon as I try to sit, I can feel it and remove it before I do) Now comes to the point, are you left handed or right? If you are right handed then 99.9% of the time you are going to put your keys in your right pocket, so always put the phone in the left. Or buy shirts with pockets and put it up there. If your worried about it slipping out when you pick something up, you can always put a Silicone Cover on it. Kind of makes it slip resistant. But metal keys against any form of plastic will eventually cause a scratch no matter how "resistant" it is suppose to be. If your wear a belt, then get a belt clip. Or buy the insurance from Assuron and pay the $50 - $100 every month or so to replace it. There is no way in hell I would put my $300 phone in the same pocket with keys under ANY condition. But then again $300 is A LOT of money to me. I do realize there are people out there who can just toss that much on one roll of the dice, but that isn't me.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Scenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
NP, glad to help. I should take back what I said about not having the same scracth resistance the Nexus One does. I don't think we do, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6875US Touch Pro 2

skuddy is keeping up the good workskuddy is keeping up the good work

Quote:

SooOOooo...long story short...has anyone scratched their screen by accident or has been brave enough to do a test?
Samsung used to make screens for HTC. super AMOLED goodness. to my knowledge Samsung uses gorilla glass in all their screens now. so we would have theoretically had it. but then Samsung got smart. they called up HTC and were all, "yo, eff you HTC, we want to make our own smartphones superior to what you make, so you can eff the eff off!" and HTC replied "omfg what!?!? YOU CANT DO THIS TO ME I AM A KOREAN POWERHOUSE!!!" an epic battle ensued, and Samsung won, took their screens and walked. then for a while HTC was running around screaming "oh snap! WE DONT HAVE SCREENS NO MOAR!!!!" and subsequently called up their dealer Sony for the hookup. thus the SLCD (aka TFT) was born.

Current Rom: MR.X 2.5 21903 + CHT 1.8.5
Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuddy View Post
Samsung used to make screens for HTC. super AMOLED goodness. to my knowledge Samsung uses gorilla glass in all their screens now. so we would have theoretically had it. but then Samsung got smart. they called up HTC and were all, "yo, eff you HTC, we want to make our own smartphones superior to what you make, so you can eff the eff off!" and HTC replied "omfg what!?!? YOU CANT DO THIS TO ME I AM A KOREAN POWERHOUSE!!!" an epic battle ensued, and Samsung won, took their screens and walked. then for a while HTC was running around screaming "oh snap! WE DONT HAVE SCREENS NO MOAR!!!!" and subsequently called up their dealer Sony for the hookup. thus the SLCD (aka TFT) was born.
Good synopsis!
Old 10-15-2010, 03:04 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

menoats is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuddy View Post
That is pretty close but I think there is another version of that story. It goes like this. HTC was chilling in its Korean warehouse waiting for the delivery of the Super Amold screens from Samsung but it never came so HTC called up Samsung and was like "Yo Sammy where them screens at?" Then Sammy...err..I mean Samsung was like "Yo H we gots no more screens we barely gots any to put in our phone yo these super amold screens be hard to come by you gotta find them for yourself we through H Galaxy S, one!" Then HTC was like "Wait what yo? One what?" Then the dial tone came in and HTC decided they better call some other people so they called Sony and Sony was like "Yeah yo...we got screens tons nobody wants our phones for some reason how much you needs?" and a new friendship was made a friendship that did not offer Gorilla Glass protection to its consumers.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Desire

Tags
htc desire, screen scratch, us cellular