PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Carrier: Sprint

downtick is keeping up the good workdowntick is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kirvin's rom and pocket msn

I d/l the new rom last night (luckily) and will send it to an ftp for you if you can get me pocket msn. The rom does not have it and I would like to have it. PM me if you wish.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work
Having multiple kitchens didn't seem like a good idea to me in the first place. As a programmer myself, I understand all too well how easy it is to dig into the code and make dozens of modifications and not document everything.

Unfortunately this is all too often the fate of undocumented (unsubstantiated?) code changes. It gets purged.

Also, it felt that a "Clean And Simple" ROM Kitchen was to somehow imply that the others were not.

From the "Clean And Simple" ROM Kitchen anyone could make their ROM as dirty and complicated as they wanted...just like any of the others.

Perhaps a better public service would be to post the apps that are known to cause issues, and then say "leave these out for best performance" and then give the underlying reasons.
Also, any other changes could be listed and/or debated by the core project members on usability, and then potentially incorporated into the unified Kitchen - or left to the user's discretion.

I don't think anyone has problems with others creating new ROMs from the Kitchen and distributing them, but rather the creating of a new Kitchen and distributing it is the issue. So I don't see what the big deal is here.... just release your version as a standalone ROM.

I know it sucks sometimes to work on something for days and then to pass it to the next guy who then just puts it in the system and just announces "Fixed ___" in the next release of product....but such is the evil/beauty of open source.
When you were in diapers and wetting the sheets I was out hacking with the ppcgeeks.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Lurker

jazwanker is a n00b
Backlight timer problem

I ran Jeff's new modified kitchen and flashed the new ROM last night and I'm having the same problem. Keeps automatically reverting back to 10 second backlight timeout no matter what I change it to. So far, everything else has been working great. Any suggestions on how to fix this one little annoyance?

Thanks for everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma
Can't seem to get the back light turnoff timer to stick. I set it to 30sec or 1min and eventually it always resets to 10sec.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: 6800 (Mogul)

scotbotmosh is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to scotbotmosh
Quote:
Also, it felt that a "Clean And Simple" ROM Kitchen was to somehow imply that the others were not.

I guess if the ROM Kitchen actually contained less stuff it could be classified Cleaner and Simpler, this doesn't specifically denote quality, some people my enjoy a lighter build and that is better for them, some may want all kinds of bells and whistles, that is better for them. The name Clean and Simple however seems to signify quantity..not quality.

Also I think that limiting the ability to create and distribute our own kitchens goes against what this site is all about, sure someone could use the C&S and make a kitchen dirty and complex...but they could also make it cleaner and simpler as well as learn something. I think arguing that route is a moot point.

Either way I guess we really do not know why it was taken down, maybe an official reason why would help us all understand.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker

fitbryan is a n00b
Does/did this have the palm threaded SMS app? If not is copying that OEM folder in all thats necessary to get it working?

thanks Jeff looks like you did some very nice work!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

dutchie25 is a n00b
This is very disappointing. I just downloaded the C & S a few weeks ago and it is awsome. Then I saw this last night and thought great, I wanted to learn the kitchen stuff. Then saw this morning that it was taken down.

maybe it will pop up somewhere.

I still love this site though!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotbotmosh
Quote:

I guess if the ROM Kitchen actually contained less stuff it could be classified Cleaner and Simpler, this doesn't specifically denote quality, some people my enjoy a lighter build and that is better for them, some may want all kinds of bells and whistles, that is better for them. The name Clean and Simple however seems to signify quantity..not quality.

Also I think that limiting the ability to create and distribute our own kitchens goes against what this site is all about, sure someone could use the C&S and make a kitchen dirty and complex...but they could also make it cleaner and simpler as well as learn something. I think arguing that route is a moot point.

Either way I guess we really do not know why it was taken down, maybe an official reason why would help us all understand.
Should be more careful on where you put the EndQuote, as you captured some of your text and made it look like mine.
As for my comments, the point is if you and I and countless others start releasing new kitchens we will have many different(?) versions of the same thing, and each with uncertain integrety. I could release one with a better name OR a higher version number than yours (although being the same in every other respect) and then I'd get all the attention and see my name in praise and contributions.... That's one of the many reasons I'm all for version control.... But on your side as well, I think people should be able to distribute whatever masterpiece/garbage they so choose, and keep all their secrets to themselves if they wish.... Each situation is different, and in this one if there was a vote - I'd vote YES - in favor of version control on the Kitchen within the context of this forum.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
I am locking this thread. If Jeff Kirvin or anyone else here would like to create their own ROM kitchen for the Apache from scratch and put their name on it, feel free. But don't take someone else's work, make a few changes and call it yours. Don't be fooled people, that is all Jeff did here.

I personally have put in countless hours making tweaks and changes to the kitchen, but do I call it "Luv2chill's Amazingly good Apache kitchen"? No, I don't becuase I didn't make it. Making changes to something does not give me or anyone else the right to call it mine.

Also, we are cracking down on this because it just has the potential to get out of hand. For one, it makes troubleshooting a nightmare. I personally have had several people ask me for help with "the kitchen" (both via PM and in the chatroom) and only after troubleshooting for a while do they admit that they were using "jbabey's kitchen" (which, again is not jbabey's kitchen at all but a bastardization of helmi's kitchen).

Having one kitchen at least gives us some kind of constant to use whilst troubleshooting all the very many variables that can come up.

There is absolutely NO NEED to have more than one kitchen. Everything Kirvin did (had he bothered to document it) could be done with correctly-designed OEMs, along with a batch file to make the file system and page pool modifications.

You should also know that over a week ago I notified Jeff that releasing his "own" kitchen was not OK, and he acknowledged that and agreed not to, only to turn around and do it anyway without any notification whatsoever. Seemed to me a pretty crappy thing to do.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache