PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 04:57 PM
N00b

willysdad is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PPCGeeks and Profit.

This might kind of long, But there is a point and a general question.

A few weeks ago I was at my local watering hole enjoying a pint, When my phone rang. I answered and spoke (Wife) then hung up, the guy next (suit type, nodding aquintance).
says "Hey, I got the same phone from work, Does yours have a problem WiFi and tethering."
I say "Not anymore."(courtesy of PPCGeeks, Thanks Again everyone.)
So give him the web address pat myself on the back and go back to my pint.
A week later I see him and ask what he thought of the site and whether or not it was useful.
He says "I looked at it, But it was all Greek to me."
So I say "Well let me see your phone?"
Long story short I used a bunch of reg tweaks and swapped memory cards downloaded some programs and He paid my tab.

Here's where the moral and ethical question comes in.

I ran into him again last night and he was elated at the performance and stability of his "New" phone and we got to talking about the ROMs and AKUs that are out and he got more excited (It was mostly Crown Royal).
So we went over to my house and I set him up with a new ROM and some custom themes and ringers. We talked some more and he offered me 50 bucks, which I took. (He was kind of a pain in the ass and really not into learning the process. Just wanted me to fix it.) Btw half of the 50 bucks has been donated to PPCGeeks.

Anyway about 15 minutes ago I got a call from the same guy saying everyone in his division (Marketing) wants me to "Fix" their phones and pay me.

I feel that the information has been given to me freely and that I should do the same, But if they are a bunch of wankers and don't want to learn how to use their phones and just want someone to fix it. Taking their money and splitting it with PPcGeeks (unless someone has a better idea, by all means say something.) is probably the best bet.

Thoughts?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

computercarl is a n00b
Weel, Here's my 2 cents. Others might feel different. YMMV.

If he doesnt want to take the time to learn how to do it himself, and would rather pay someone else to do it, where is that a bad thing for you? I commend you on donating 1/2 of that 50 here. Dont forget, your time isnt free. The information has been given to you for free, because you chose to come here, and read and learn. He (and his division) apparently doesnt want to do that. So, don't charge him a ton, but charge him whatever you feel your time is worth.

Remember, you arent charging him for the data, just your time.
I would hope that most others here would feel the same.

Whatever you can donate will greatly be appreciated, but again remember, your time isnt free. If it is, I have some work for you
Old 03-10-2007, 05:16 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
As you said, they don't just want the info we've all been freely given here, they want you to do it for them.

So, accepting their money makes sense to me.

By contrast, I showed a co-worker (who also has a 6700) all the things I've done to my phone. He downloaded and flashed a ROM, had some questions. A couple of iterations of this and he's done. Money made no sense in this (different than yours) case.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: samsung code
Carrier: metropcs

vtigre is a n00b
Hey, don't sweat it.

If they aren't into learning how to do it. Then you do it yourself.

There are a lot of phone shops using free software to load up ringtones for people at about a dollar a song in some shops.

What is wrong with using what you learn here and make some money out of it. Any information you get for free, from library, school, friends etc can be done for money.

Your time is not free, like others said, so if they want to pay, go for it. Your still helping the community by finding the many bugs that might still be out there.

As long as they know its free, like you said you told the guy, then you fine by me. I say keep the spirit of free, but if someone wants to pay then its fine.

The idea of spliting what you make with ppcgeeks is great but i think its up to you but its the best idea.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max
Carrier: Sprint

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
wow nice story I haven't had that happen to me but I have had a lot of ppl ask about fixing them. (broke miniusb or dropped in water) I appreciate you donating to help with hosting costs. But as stated above its ur time and u do as u please. I do this because of my love for devices. I'm sure ur the same. So if u want to contribute to the site then feel free but if not that's ok also.
Thanks again,
Mike

Old 03-10-2007, 08:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Raphael
Carrier: Sprint

allanak is just getting started
Send a message via ICQ to allanak Send a message via AIM to allanak Send a message via MSN to allanak Send a message via Yahoo to allanak
I took this take on it: What's the difference between this and say...fixing someone's computer? Be it spyware removal, upgrading hardware, etc etc. Doesn't really matter.

The info is out there (and lots of it!) on accomplishing any of these tasks on one's own. It's not rocket science. Like Carl mentioned, time is money, right? Kudos to donating to the good cause that is ppcgeeks Good karma is sure to follow.

SERO 1250 + unlimited text, TEP and free Airave <$55/mo
Old 03-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Alwaysbelieve1 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Alwaysbelieve1 Send a message via Yahoo to Alwaysbelieve1
These people have hit the nail on the head.

Feel good about taking their money. Do what you feel is right and that is the most important thing. You probably put in hours and hours of sweat and blood to learn what you know about PPCs. If they want to skip that step and pay you for your time that is the same as taking your car in to a mechanic instead of learning how to do it yourself.

Goodluck. Don't brick a phone. LOL
Old 03-10-2007, 09:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Sogarth is a n00b
Just be aware, though, of one particular problem...

You do know that you're going to end up playing tech support for them all, right? That's kind of the catch.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

TheRocoLoco is a n00b
I don't think that you should hide the source of your information when asked about it (ppcgeeks.com). But besides that, if you have a service to offer someone that they are willing to pay for then this is just simply their money being used for what it was meant for. (spending).

and BTW I know people who charge $150 per hour for this service.

Technology Service is still growing in need everyday. Windows mobile phones are no different. It's a great then to be able to make mone doing something you enjoy.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: titan
Carrier: bell

PaulFix is a n00b
Good for you, my buddy gave me a portable gps handheld unit after I set him up with the same rom and hacks I made and set up

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache