PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 07:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TPduece
Carrier: sprint

sk8boardd is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What AKU for the most stable and least issues

I dont feel the need to have the newest but i would like faster bootup and still have no issues. I am thining of doing this because when i make or recieve a cal i get no soun whatsoever through the earpiece or speaker phone so i think im going to do a hard reset so now seems like a good time to update. thanks
Old 02-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700 (Apache) ;PPC 6800 (Mogul)
Carrier: Sprint

naigaboy is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to naigaboy Send a message via MSN to naigaboy
Re: What AKU for the most stable and least issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boardd
I dont feel the need to have the newest but i would like faster bootup and still have no issues. I am thining of doing this because when i make or recieve a cal i get no soun whatsoever through the earpiece or speaker phone so i think im going to do a hard reset so now seems like a good time to update. thanks
You might want to do hard reset first and make sure your phone is working correctly. After you are sure about that, you can try colonels custom aku 3.3 beta 3. That was real stable for me. We are still working out temporary issues in 3.5. You can check saridnours aku 3.5, I heard it was also very stable.

Hey Brian, Its been 24 hrs, Got my money?
Stop playing with me man.
This what happens man.
You got till 5 o'clock

Kitchen Info:
Old 02-18-2007, 09:58 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Wideawakes's custom 2.2 beta 2.0 is probably the most stable and its quicker than 2.0. I've been using Colonel's 3.3beta3 for about 2.5 days now and I notice a few more problems that i didn't have w/ 2.2. But Colonels 3.3beta3 is dang good! and really fast too. If you don't a few soft resets now and then go for the 3.3
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Q9c
Carrier: sprint

1oddmanout is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to 1oddmanout
I suggest, for "set-it-and-forget-it" ease of use, use one of the Colonel's full sets. I've been running the Colonel's 3.3v3SprintNoJunk edition with no problems to report; yeah, a few random soft resets, but we're running windows, right? Good battery life, cool programs, fast. I'm still just a NooB, so I don't even know how to work some of the programs
Old 02-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work
The truth is, nobody knows the truth. Personally, I've alternated back and forth between Saridnour and Colonel.

Just because one might have a higher version number doesn't necessarily mean one is newer/better/faster than the other. Much like you or I could create a version 3.6 or 99.99. Meaningless, other than to the designer for their personal version control sequence.

I generally install the one that seems to be getting the fastest issue resolution turnaround and the most frequently updated description of their latest ROM. This might just mean that the other person is busy working on bigger/better things and didn't have as many bugs to start with, BUT - I'm less comfortable making that assumption.

Now, with all that out of the way- my ultimate decision has been to just pick and choose one and if there is a problem of any kind then I just try a different ROM. If you don't have several registered programs (like TomTom-which is a pain in the ass to keep fully configuring) then switching out ROMs is relatively quick and easy. So pick one, and it'll likely be updated again within 2 days - then read about it and possibly do it again.

<Warning: Very addictive - just one pop and you can't stop>
When you were in diapers and wetting the sheets I was out hacking with the ppcgeeks.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:14 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Idiot
Just because one might have a higher version number doesn't necessarily mean one is newer/better/faster than the other. Much like you or I could create a version 3.6 or 99.99. Meaningless, other than to the designer for their personal version control sequence.
Actually thats exactly what the version number says. It refers to the AKU version used when making the rom. AKU 2.2 is slightly faster than AKU 2.0. AKU 3.3 is MUCH faster than 2.0 and 2.2 with added features. As far as 3.5 I'm not sure what the benefits are off the top of my head because I haven't looked at it all much with all the bugs they're having with it. If you go here there is a pretty detailed article about the differences between the AKU versions.
However, when you see a beta 3, or r2 after the name of the custom rom that does refer the version of that rom build. This number has no significance on speed, just on what has been changed.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Lurker

knight is a n00b
Side question: After alot of searching I can find what is in every AKU up to 3.0, but have no idea what was changed in 3.3 and 3.5. Does anyone actually know what the official updates are in these two releases from 3.0?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
There's no official list of upgrades between AKUs. Microsoft doesn't publish this stuff publicly, so everything we know has to be "figured out" by trial and error.

There is not much difference between AKU 3.3 and 3.5, that is for sure. Some icons are different. But there are likely some small bug fixes under the hood that we just don't know about yet. We are just relying on the "newer=better" principle (which sometimes does not hold true).
Old 02-20-2007, 07:01 PM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: What AKU for the most stable and least issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boardd
The no sound issue may be because the little metal clip inside your headphone jack at the bottom of your phone isn't released. You can use a toothpick to release it. play a song or something with media player on your phone so it is continuosly attempting sound - then jiggle it gently with a paperclip or a toothpick til you hear sound.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Lurker

knight is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2chill
There's no official list of upgrades between AKUs. Microsoft doesn't publish this stuff publicly, so everything we know has to be "figured out" by trial and error.

There is not much difference between AKU 3.3 and 3.5, that is for sure. Some icons are different. But there are likely some small bug fixes under the hood that we just don't know about yet. We are just relying on the "newer=better" principle (which sometimes does not hold true).
Found this on one of the Windows mobile developers blogs over on MSDN:

"The main reason for not publicly broadcasting AKU details is that AKUs tend to contain features that OEMs may or *may not* include in their devices. For example, it may support a new piece of hardware that is specific to a new device.

If that new AKU was taken to be the new version of Windows Mobile 5, then "platform fragmentation" would occur, where an API was available on Device A, and not on Device B.

What happens with a software developer uses this API, and the owner of Device B buys and installs it? It doesn't work. Frustration and confusion all around. Not to mention multiple versions of the SDK for developers to fight with.

Of course, ideally, all information would be publicly available and we would trust developers to do The Right Thing. If nothing else, that would make our job easier when it comes to documentating it all!

However, the risk of creating multiple platforms is a very real one, and for the moment at least, that's one reason why AKU material isn't released publicly.

And that's why any application written for Windows Mobile 5 runs on a device that has Windows Mobile 5 on it.

Hope that helps."

So, anyone have a contact at UT Starcomm?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache