PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Lurker

chrismc is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AKU 3.x DUN->PAN issues

With AKU 3.0 and up, Microsoft removed the Bluetooth Dial-Up-Networking (DUN) profile, and replaced it with the Personal-Area-Network (PAN) profile. Additionally, there is *supposed* to be a utility in AKU3.x called "Internet Sharing" to use the new PAN feature. Unfortunately, this is currently MIA from the AKU33 ROM. This really only affects those that use their PPC as a modem, since this is the only time these features are used.

For those on the Windows side, once the Internet Sharing app is found, they'll be fine as Windows supports the PAN BT profile. Some of us using Macs are screwed, however, as Mac OS cannot support PAN at all.

Somehow, I managed to restore the DUN profile on my AKU33 6700... Supposedly its not possible, but I was able to add it and pair my 6700 with my iBook and use it as a modem. This afternoon, I will be re-flashing with a virgin AKU33 ROM, and comparing reg keys to try to track down what I did so that others can use it as well.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Lurker

darkphan is a n00b
Cool! Keep us updated! I am very much interested in getting this to work!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Alwaysbelieve1 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Alwaysbelieve1 Send a message via Yahoo to Alwaysbelieve1
Awesome news man! Can't wait!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Sprint

MrHappy is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to MrHappy Send a message via Yahoo to MrHappy
I sooo hope you figure it out as this will be a show stopper for me. I use my phone as a BT modem too much. Since I have WinXP as a desktop all I realy need is that silly Internet Sharing app....

The odd thing is that Wmodem is still there and it still lets you pick Bluetooth.... Doesn't work...
Old 01-22-2007, 04:50 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It doesn't work because the DUN bluetooth profile is the bit microsoft removed, and its the bit wmodem relies on.

So to OP - how the heck did you get the DUN BT profile back in?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: AKU 3.x DUN->PAN issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismc

Somehow, I managed to restore the DUN profile on my AKU33 6700... Supposedly its not possible, but I was able to add it and pair my 6700 with my iBook and use it as a modem. This afternoon, I will be re-flashing with a virgin AKU33 ROM, and comparing reg keys to try to track down what I did so that others can use it as well.
great news, hope it's possible.
Then maybye wideawake can add this or rip a dun profile out of an older aku rom... before he finishes cooking another beta.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:36 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj

So to OP - how the heck did you get the DUN BT profile back in?
Will this help?...
Edit: oops sorry that usb, not bluetooth.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 6700_cdma_modem_driversrar_131.zip (11.9 KB, 22 views) Click for barcode!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

chrismc is a n00b
Well, I'm somewhat stumped. I figured out that its the Mobile-Stream USB Modem application (http://mobile-stream.com/usbmodem_wm.html) that added the BT DUN profile, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to "extract" the profile from that application and get it to stick around. As soon as I uninstall the program, the PPC no longer responds as having the BT DUN profile. I did lots of registry comparisons, and can't find any unique keys that would have any control over whether or not the profile was there, so I believe it is a function of the DLL's loaded. The install file, USBModem.cab, contains only 2 files, 1 shortcut, 1 reg key, and the configuration. The files installed are "usbmodem.exe" (the program), and "usbcdcacmfn.dll" (library). The shortcut is "USB Modem.lnk", pointing to the usbmodem.exe. The reg key is HKLM\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers\USBCDCACM_Class, which adds a number of values that I do not believe are related to Bluetooth. As far as I can tell, the Bluetooth profile is created when you choose the "Enable" option after running the "USB Modem" program. It certainly does a lot to the system, as choosing "Enable" keeps the PPC busy for a little while.

What I *really* want is a PPC utility similar to the Windows REGMON and FILEMON utilities, that will monitor all file and registry accesses while I run the "USB Modem" application. That or "/usr/bin/strace", but Linux is much easier to work with. I searched for a good system-call tracer or debugger for PocketPC, with no success. I have VS.net 2005 on my desktop, but it looks like you can only debug PPC apps if you insert debugging symbols into the application to start with. Since I didn't write the app, and am trying to reverse-engineer it, that's not gonna work.

Ok, that's all I've got to offer. Hopefully someone else will take that and run with it.

BTW, the "USB Modem" application is $19.95, and doesn't work to allow modem access over USB (lots of USB timeouts logged on my iBook). I was using the trial version, and I'm not going to pay for it since it doesn't work as its supposed to.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:25 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Well, it is interesting in any case.

I wonder if installing the widcom bluetooth stack (which has its own issues) works. There are three stacks out there, the MS one, the widcomm, and a third - a lot of posts on the stacks are either at xda or pdaphonehome... forget which one...

This seems to be the biggest hitch (NO DUN) and it's by design - assuming we get the PAN profile all us windows folks are fine, but the mac folks are still out in the cold.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache
Carrier: Sprint

andason is keeping up the good workandason is keeping up the good workandason is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to andason
Does this one help at all?

It's found in the 3.5 rom dump. I can get the app to come up.. but problems trying to connect with dial up / bluetooth.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache