PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ppc6700

stensonb is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ready to throw it against the wall...

hi all -

i just purchased a 6700 on eBay...other than a few cosmetic issues, it looks like its working...wifi - check, bluetooth - check, usb interface - ...

usb interface - ....

uh, the usb plug works because i can charge the phone...it correctly charges the phone when i plug it into the wall converter or with the usb cable to my computer.

upon plugging into the computer, however, i'm expecting some sort of response..."unknown hardware" or something like that. nothing.

i take a look at the device manager...no yellow exclamation marks or red errors...

i've tried a different usb cable...no luck.

i've even downloaded and installed activesync 4.5 from microsoft...didn't think software would make much of a difference, but i figured i would try...no luck.

i even plugged it into my linux server and did a "lsusb" command...there is NOTHING plugged into the usb port.

So I turn to you PPCGeeks for help. Please tell me its something silly like "you should turn it on" or "the battery must be installed" or "activesync only works on tuesday evenings from 11pm until 1am PST."

Right now, I'm looking for anything (eagerly ready to flash ROM to Helmi's Kitchen!)

Thanks all!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: UTstarcom PPC-6700
Carrier: Qwest

cat_daddy is a n00b
Unhappy Much Anguish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stensonb View Post
hi all -

So I turn to you PPCGeeks for help. Please tell me its something silly like "you should turn it on" or "the battery must be installed" or "activesync only works on tuesday evenings from 11pm until 1am PST."

Right now, I'm looking for anything (eagerly ready to flash ROM to Helmi's Kitchen!)

Thanks all!

Good luck with your PPC, Stenson. I haven't seen much problem resolution in any of the forums here, esp for 6700s. The only think I've seen is "geeks" who post tweaks and mods; no fix actions. I'd love to throw my 6700 against a wall, or put it in the path of a steamroller. If I only hadn't spent $600+ for it new...

Last edited by cat_daddy; 12-14-2007 at 09:58 PM. Reason: dang type-os
Old 12-14-2007, 10:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

robmayer is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to robmayer Send a message via MSN to robmayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stensonb View Post
hi all -

i just purchased a 6700 on eBay...other than a few cosmetic issues, it looks like its working...wifi - check, bluetooth - check, usb interface - ...

usb interface - ....

uh, the usb plug works because i can charge the phone...it correctly charges the phone when i plug it into the wall converter or with the usb cable to my computer.

upon plugging into the computer, however, i'm expecting some sort of response..."unknown hardware" or something like that. nothing.

i take a look at the device manager...no yellow exclamation marks or red errors...

i've tried a different usb cable...no luck.

i've even downloaded and installed activesync 4.5 from microsoft...didn't think software would make much of a difference, but i figured i would try...no luck.

i even plugged it into my linux server and did a "lsusb" command...there is NOTHING plugged into the usb port.

Thanks all!
Well, first make sure the PPC is on before you plug it into your PC. Also make sure that the USB port on the computer is working by trying a different piece of hardware, or switch the phone to a different port. If that fails I would try a hard-reset and see if that solves the problem. Either that or try it on a different computer. Are you using Windows XP or Vista? I'm sorry if I was redundant regarding anything in your original post, I kinda just skimmed over it and thought I might be able to help out a little.

EDIT:

eh, I just re-read your post, I guess the USB port wouldn't be the problem. Sorry.

Last edited by robmayer; 12-14-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work
And when all that fails...
Sell it on ebay.

Raging Idiot
When you were in diapers and wetting the sheets I was out hacking with the ppcgeeks.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

stensonb is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmayer View Post
Well, first make sure the PPC is on before you plug it into your PC. Also make sure that the USB port on the computer is working by trying a different piece of hardware, or switch the phone to a different port. If that fails I would try a hard-reset and see if that solves the problem. Either that or try it on a different computer. Are you using Windows XP or Vista? I'm sorry if I was redundant regarding anything in your original post, I kinda just skimmed over it and thought I might be able to help out a little.

EDIT:

eh, I just re-read your post, I guess the USB port wouldn't be the problem. Sorry.

Well, thanks for the effort. I feel like I've tried everything. Soft reset. Hard reset. Different cables. Different computers. Different OSes....

I feel Raging Idiot may be right...
Old 12-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Apple Newton
Carrier: Chisel and Granite Slab

djalienx is a n00b
Try putting the phone in bootloader mode by holding both the power button and the notes(looks like a cassette tape) then poke the reset button still holding the buttons while connected to the pc. Look at the screen it will be hard to see, if it still says serial then your port is bad. to exit bootloader simply poke the reset. If bootloader shows usb go ahead and load kitchens rom, its worth it!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

stensonb is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by djalienx View Post
Try putting the phone in bootloader mode by holding both the power button and the notes(looks like a cassette tape) then poke the reset button still holding the buttons while connected to the pc. Look at the screen it will be hard to see, if it still says serial then your port is bad. to exit bootloader simply poke the reset. If bootloader shows usb go ahead and load kitchens rom, its worth it!
You've given me hope in on a hopeless device. But I still think its broken. I'm in bootloader mode. It says "Serial" and down near the bottom, "V1.00"

I plug in the device with the USB cable. The text on the top changes to USB! Exciting!

The problem is, the computer still doesn't recognize the device...no "unknown hardware", no results in the device manager, no results when I run "lsusb" on linux either...

So, I'm guessing that seeing "USB" mode doesn't actually mean its working, just that I'm that much closer to flinging it across the room!!

Thank you for your input. Any other possibilities?!

Bryan
Old 12-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Apache 6700

RobertMills is a n00b
It's not the phone that's messed up. I am using Vista right now and after recently doing updates this week Windows Mobile Device Center has stopped working completely for me. It wont load or anything. Dont throw it just yet. I also did some checking around on google and found that other PPC6700 users are experiencing the same issue. Hopefully next weeks updates will take care of this issue. Here's to wishful thinking!
Old 12-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: xv 6800
Carrier: VZW

ggaeta is becoming a great contributor
I get the same issue every pnec and a while but it seems to resolve itself. i make siure the ppc is on and not locked (S2U2) and that the pc activesync is not on yet. it self starts when i connect. Make sure the connection settings are correct on both PC and PPC. it might be the activesync is set to something other than connect "via usb". sorry i am not much help
Old 12-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache
Carrier: Sprint

andason is keeping up the good workandason is keeping up the good workandason is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to andason
also try installing activesyncmode to your ppc and set it to usb.

seeing as how you can't sync to your ppc.. try emailing it to yourself or placing it on your storage card. - OR download it on your ppc via the internet : D
Attached Files
File Type: zip activesyncmode.zip (52.2 KB, 5 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by andason; 12-15-2007 at 03:44 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache