PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 01:17 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: Sprint

princelton is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
you don't have to buy a phone from Sprint to have their insurance, I don't know if this helps or harms, but I bought an unlocked, partially moded ppc6700 from a "ex sprint rep" off of Craig's list, in a Denny's parking lot, with the guy there I called sprint, gave them the info, they had the phone hooked up to me in a few minutes, with the insurance and road side assistance (they said 2-4 hours for phone to work, took 10 minutes) I thanked the "salesman" and paid him the newly negotiated $150.00 price for the phone, holster, cables, a couple of micro SD cards, 3 total batteries, a cradle, 3 styli, and a car charger. A few months later, a friend was using my 6700 and went to hand it back to me and threw it at the concrete instead, it freaked out and then locked up. I soft reset it a few times, charged the battery, but it was messed up. I called my local sprint store (not the overseas "customer service" or the mall kiosk, an actual sprint store with a knowledgeable staff) and they eased my mind... (I was thinking I had to break it accidentally or lose it or have it stolen to replace it with insurance) She told me that as long as it wasn't broken in more than 3 pieces, they will gladly replace it no hassle or cost at all, if it had been broken in more than 3 pieces, or lost, or stolen, a replacement would have been $50. She took all of the info over the phone, and told me the ppc6700 was no longer available and would a 6800 be ok, I didn't even know that the 6800 was out at the time, but 5 minutes on the web and I knew I had SCORED, but had to wait 3-5 days. In the wait for the 6800 I accidentally unstuck the 6700, I wanted the 6800 bad at this point and almost thought about being dishonest, but instead I went to the sprint store after their call, told them my 6700 was now working, but it was clunky and I had to soft reset all the time (not at all a lie, 6700 was like that from day 1) they gladly replaced it anyways, and even gave me all of the new stuff that came with it.....
To qualify for the insurance, just call and they will activate it and it costs $7 a month and the max amount of claims is 4 per year, so it is worth it on even a $200 phone, necessary on a $600 phone......
Pointers? I have always found that being polite, HONEST, and actually saying what it is that you want (not hinting or beating around the bush) is the best method in these situations. Also, don't call the "customer service" #, this is almost always an overseas call center, and it will take a months worth of minutes to actually get a local person (someone like you, who may just care, or at least do their job, rather than reading a script, in broken english even) Also, try to get a supervisor, manager, or tech first to talk to. The lowbies, even at the ~insert your carriers name here~ store, usually aren't at the managers meetings where they teach procedure and how to take care of your customer, not to mention rarely do they know what they are "allowed" to do. If you get a seasoned veteran, treat them like an intelligent business associate, or a friend; (not too chummy) Explain, be honest, state your situation, state your need or wants, and be ready for rejection. If rejected, POLITELY and without sarcasm ask for someone higher up, but in the store. If not available try another service center location, or a Radio Shack or Circuit city type store that carries your brand and try there. If these fail, call TECHNICAL service (tech support) not customer service, and try with the rep over the phone..... if this somehow fails too (you will never get to this point, if you are polite and respectful) you can ask for someone in customer retention; this is the word that should get their attention, and get you transfered to a seasoned veteran, with clout, and in the US, at this point using your best manners and respectfulness, explain the situation up to this point, but leave out opinions, emotions, or anything other than polite facts. Include your previous requests for phone replacement to a stable model in the explanation. At the end of your explanation summarize but end with "So this is why I would like to ask to be released from my contract and be refunded for my handset". (they will never refund a handset) People in retention are trained to know what it takes to solve a customers issues, and have the power to do so, IF you made it that far, and were polite, honest, and forthcoming, they will solve your problem as long as you pay your bill most months, and don't make their day at work a bad one. If not, and they STILL wont replace and upgrade you, let them let you out of your contract, and goto another carrier, you can use your hard luck story to milk them for free stuff......

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache