PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 AM
dc
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

dc is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was one of the initial people reporting the HTC Home Plug-in was causing freezes upon soft resets. I also recommended a Safe Mode solution like Monocube, as using a Safe Mode program makes it easier to experiment and then recover without needing to hard reset.

I'm starting to agree the problem is with the Weather portion of the Plug-in. I started using the HTC Home Plug-in again, but I disabled Automatic Download. To disable Automatic Download, click on the Weather icon and then click on the City shown. This will bring you to a screen that says Select City. Click on Menu and then Weather Options. Un-check "Download weather data automatically" and then click Done.

I have soft reset a number of times without experiencing any freezing. I'll report back if I start to have problems.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

jimjam26 is a n00b
I've notice that the HTC plugin definately doesn't play well with weatherpanel. I've been able to keep it somewhat stable depending on certain themes and icons. HTC with weather tab removed wp stealth 240 theme and umicons work decently for me til battery went dead! I've also learned weatherpod icons for wp locks up phone after any reset! Finally got tired of the hard resets and left wp off for now and been running smooth every since!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700
Carrier: SprintPCS

Tomn8tr is a n00b
FWIW, I have been running stable since the release of WM6 (except when my PPC hard reset while testing Bluetooth by downgrading the radio - not the ROMs fault at all on that one).

Pocket Mechanic 2.7 now has a Safemode feature and is a free upgrade for registered users:

http://www.wizcode.com/devblog/comme...270-change-log

TomD.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Dell
Carrier: Sprint

trehouse is just getting started
DC, I've been following your experiences and am now using Monocube's safe boot. Thanks for the tip. I'm doing auto downloads of weather and haven't had a lockup issue since I removed my custom HTC icons and got rid of a custom weather location file. I don't know if it's coincidental however I haven't had a lockup in a week and a half. Nothing else changed on my XV6700.

Last edited by trehouse; 09-29-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

frankenstein897 is a n00b
FYI, I set my weather panel to only update manually and it seems to be much better. I have not had to do a hard or soft reset.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

raycoast is a n00b
I also did the manual update change on the weather panel, Have not hard reset in 2 weeks. Prior to that any restart would result in a freeze, I have prob reset 20 times in the past 2 weeks (Installing new prog, dead battery, etc) and have not had a single freeze since I made the change. Actually thinking about removing the safe mode prog as it doesn't seem to be needed anymore.

I was trying to remember who had first recommended it, thanks DC

Last edited by raycoast; 10-03-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6700

jblowne1469 is a n00b
I suspect the locking issue may be a combination of the following factors:
  • Some application that opens an internet connection automatically (like HTC Home weather)
  • Loss of signal while it is attempting to perform a periodic data refresh (like HTC Home weather)
  • Low battery (perhaps caused by the phone repeatedly trying to connect when there is no signal or poor signal).
I can duplicate the same issue when I set up my Gmail account in Messenger using the IMAP interface and set it to periodically synchronize. If I'm in an area of my office that doesn't receive good signal, it will lock up and require a hard-reset and rebuild before it will finish the boot-up sequence. I imagine that if you have any app that automatically connects to refresh data, the same will eventually happen.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development