PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 02:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon (via Alltel takeover)

answerman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, this is cool. Helmi_c, as usual, is the best.

Don't really care about the bells and whistles (I run a pretty lean Apache myself) but if this can improve the battery life even more than AKU3.5, I'm all for it. My "early upgrade" window with Alltel starts in a few weeks and I had pretty much decided to move on to the PPC-6800 (Mogul for you Sprint folks) when the time came due to the fact that my good ol' 2 year old Apache is really showing its age hardware wise (battery cover won't stay on, serious wear marks on the touchscreen, and I think I need a new battery as it doesn't hold a charge like it used to).

Now, if this upgrade brings the Apache up to the 6800/Mogul battery life-wise (hearing reports of 2-3 days between charges) I just may pony up for a new 1500mA/h battery for my Apache and ditch the big 2600mA/h one I have now, which will allow me to go back to the standard battery cover. Then, I can live with the screen wear and all and get some more life out of Old Faithful.

BTW: Nice job on the new site, Mike!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:56 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It probably won't do that. The dual core CPU in the 6800 isn't there for performance, it's there for battery life. Performance on the PDA side is probably a little lower on the 6800 vs the 6700.

I am prepared to be wrong on that, but I think you're seeing about the best possible battery life out of the 1.0.4 kitchen.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

answerman is a n00b
Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Well...

Still looking forward to it, just to see what all the WM6 fuss is about. I'll have a few weeks to play with it and change my mind about moving on to the 6800.

If I do move on, my contribution to the cause may just be to donate my old 6700 to Helmi for test purposes... as I said, it does work fine... it's just pretty ugly.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Lurker

koolaide is a n00b
Anyone know if we will be able to upgrade using Vista 32/64?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker

fitbryan is a n00b
Does anyone know or have any idea if Intellisync will work with WM6 or this ROM particularly? Since Verizon has not released a 6800 yet, there is no way of knowing unless someone has tested it. Has any testing been done? If not Id be happy to help.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: Verizon

bmtbandit is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to bmtbandit Send a message via Skype™ to bmtbandit
Hopefully it will. If not we can probally get away with running the version from the new Q. I believe it is WM6.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

answerman is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
It probably won't do that. The dual core CPU in the 6800 isn't there for performance, it's there for battery life. Performance on the PDA side is probably a little lower on the 6800 vs the 6700.
Looked into it a little further and got a few specs on the MSM6500 (Apache) chipset and the MSM7500 (Mogul) chipset side by side. I had originally thought that the Mogul wasn't really much of a hardware upgrade from the Apache other than the increased memory, but the specs are markedly better on the Mogul (which, as schettj pointed out, probably has more to do with the improved battery life than anything). I stand corrected.

If anyone's curious... here's the pertinent differences between the two chipsets. (from http://www.cdmatech.com) Please note that these are the chipset specs, not the phone specs, and just because the chipset is capable of something doesn't mean that the phone has that particular capability.

MSM6500 (Apache/6700)
* ARM926EJ-S™ microprocessor core
* Two QDSP4000™ high-performance digital signal processors (DSP)
* Qcamera™: Up to 1.3 megapixel digital images
* Qtv™: Playback at 15 fps QCIF
* Qcamcorder™: Record at 15 fps QCIF
* Q3Dimension™: Up to 50k 3D triangles/second, and 400k depth-tested, textured and 1M depth-tested, shaded 3D pixels/second fill rate

MSM7500 (Mogul/6800)
* Integrated ARM11™ applications processor and ARM9™ modem
* QDSP4000™ and QDSP5000™ high-performance digital signal processors (DSP)
* Qcamera™: Up to 8.0 megapixel digital images
* Qtv™: Playback at 30 fps VGA
* Qcamcorder™: Record at 30 fps VGA
* Q3Dimension™: Up to 4 million triangles per second, and 133 million depth-tested, textured 3D pixels per second fill rate

And I do realize this probably isn't the right thread for this post, but it seemed somewhat pertinent to the WM6 discussion. Mods, do with it what you will.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

answerman is a n00b
Just wanted to point something out about my previous post... please note that these are the chipset specs, not the phone specs, and just because the chipset is capable of something doesn't mean that the phone has that particular capability.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon

Gervy is a n00b
Cube? What is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vboyz103 View Post
Does it mean that cube will run on 6700 as well?
Pardon the newbieness.... what's the cube?
Old 08-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Lurker

Hexatron is a n00b
I hope he posts it at like 1 min past midnight, I'm going to be checking every half hour untill its up.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development