PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > GSM iPhone Development
Register Community Search

Notices

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [How To] Essential jailbreak/unlock/ssh thread!

I noticed you only covered snowbreeze, a Windows-only JB method, so I'll post my experience with the available Mac tools:
First I tried to JB with Redsn0w. It didn't work. It got to the point where it should have copied files to my phone, but instead said Unknown Error and failed. I tried 3-4 times, with the same result each time. I've used Redsn0w before and always had problems with it. This doesn't mean it won't work for others, but it did not work for me.

Finally I gave up and went to use Pwnage. I used one set of instructions and found that my phone would not activate. I could not make or receive calls, no data, no text, nothing.... not good. I kept searching, flashed back to 4.3.1 and then found these instructions: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.3.1]

Step 6 was the one missing from my first directions. That option, as far as I'm concerned, should be unchecked by default, but it is not, so if you use your iPhone on AT&T or another authorized carrier worldwide, then you need to go in and uncheck that option.

Long story short, I finished it up, got my jailbreak, did a restore from backup and I'm good to go.

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perasite View Post
I noticed you only covered snowbreeze, a Windows-only JB method, so I'll post my experience with the available Mac tools:
First I tried to JB with Redsn0w. It didn't work. It got to the point where it should have copied files to my phone, but instead said Unknown Error and failed. I tried 3-4 times, with the same result each time. I've used Redsn0w before and always had problems with it. This doesn't mean it won't work for others, but it did not work for me.

Finally I gave up and went to use Pwnage. I used one set of instructions and found that my phone would not activate. I could not make or receive calls, no data, no text, nothing.... not good. I kept searching, flashed back to 4.3.1 and then found these instructions: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.3.1]

Step 6 was the one missing from my first directions. That option, as far as I'm concerned, should be unchecked by default, but it is not, so if you use your iPhone on AT&T or another authorized carrier worldwide, then you need to go in and uncheck that option.

Long story short, I finished it up, got my jailbreak, did a restore from backup and I'm good to go.
good lookin out. I'll post up a good how-to guide for macs maybe so we have all the information and people don't have to scour the internets.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Virtually, I am a Ppc
Pocket PC: SAMSUNG EPIC 4G

Hypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the community

Hey Orange,
Need your help again. Got a friends 3g. It needed a Digitizer replacement, no problem. Replaced it fine. Then upon reboot all was ok except I noticed the power button is not functional. So I took it apart again to check out the power switch and ribbon. Looked ok but after assembling and turning back on, I am stuck at the apple logo. I figure it got corrupted because I could not power it down because the bad switch before I took it apart and disconnected the battery from the main board? Anyway, no biggie. I figured I would just restore it with Itunes. Itunes still recognizes it and i am able to successfully restore it to factory. The restore seems to go fine with no problems, but as soon as its done with the restore it just gets stuck at the apple logo with the spinning wheel. Itiunes still recognizes it. WTF? I cant enter DFU due to the bad power button. Any Ideas? Not sure if it was jailbroken or unlocked, but I dont think so. I didnt check, just a simple glass replacement gone wrong somehow.
Also I could get into restore mode by letting the phone die and holding down menu button and plugging in the cable to restore, and will restore "successfully" but still gets stuck at the apple logo. Also it has no sim card, so when it is stuck at the apple logo Itunes sees the phone and says there is no sim installed, but it should still boot to the emergency call screen right?

**Got Lasers?? Check out our site for shows and equipment:
http://www.ctlasers.com/

-A quick thanks always helps!

Last edited by Hypnotic2010; 04-06-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic2010 View Post
Hey Orange,
Need your help again. Got a friends 3g. It needed a Digitizer replacement, no problem. Replaced it fine. Then upon reboot all was ok except I noticed the power button is not functional. So I took it apart again to check out the power switch and ribbon. Looked ok but after assembling and turning back on, I am stuck at the apple logo. I figure it got corrupted because I could not power it down because the bad switch before I took it apart and disconnected the battery from the main board? Anyway, no biggie. I figured I would just restore it with Itunes. Itunes still recognizes it and i am able to successfully restore it to factory. The restore seems to go fine with no problems, but as soon as its done with the restore it just gets stuck at the apple logo with the spinning wheel. Itiunes still recognizes it. WTF? I cant enter DFU due to the bad power button. Any Ideas? Not sure if it was jailbroken or unlocked, but I dont think so. I didnt check, just a simple glass replacement gone wrong somehow.
Also I could get into restore mode by letting the phone die and holding down menu button and plugging in the cable to restore. Also it has no sim card, so when it is stuck at the apple logo Itunes sees the phone and says there is no sim installed, but it should still boot to the emergency call screen right?
harsh times.

getting it to DFU would really be key here, but if you really can't do that here's what you can try:

1) make sure you have the latest version of iTunes, restore again with this version if it was not the latest.

2) try to restore on a different computer

3) download iREB-r4 (attached), plug in the iPhone and turn it on so it's on that apple logo, open iREB and click the "recovery loop" tab and click the first option and see if that boots it.

if these don't work lemme know we'll try something else.
Attached Files
File Type: zip iREB-r4.zip (1.36 MB, 2 views) Click for barcode!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Virtually, I am a Ppc

Hypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
harsh times.

getting it to DFU would really be key here, but if you really can't do that here's what you can try:

1) make sure you have the latest version of iTunes, restore again with this version if it was not the latest.

2) try to restore on a different computer

3) download iREB-r4 (attached), plug in the iPhone and turn it on so it's on that apple logo, open iREB and click the "recovery loop" tab and click the first option and see if that boots it.

if these don't work lemme know we'll try something else.
Thanks for your help,

I have the latest version of Itunes, I just tried again on this Pc (XP), still no go. I have tried Ireb. It does not reboot while on the apple logo. Using Limera1n I can enter restore mode successfully. If I run iReb it responds and reboots while in restore mode but still gets stuck at the Apple Logo.
I also tried forcing Dfu mode using the attached script extrated to root of my C: drive. (DFU). Its supposed to push the phone to DFU mode automatically, but it gives error: USBMuxListenerCreate: No error
Also tried the tools Ziphone offers including enter DFU mode, but get that error also.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DFU.zip (891.8 KB, 0 views) Click for barcode!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Thanks for your help,

I have the latest version of Itunes, I just tried again on this Pc (XP), still no go. I have tried Ireb. It does not reboot while on the apple logo. Using Limera1n I can enter restore mode successfully. If I run iReb it responds and reboots while in restore mode but still gets stuck at the Apple Logo.
I also tried forcing Dfu mode using the attached script extrated to root of my C: drive. (DFU). Its supposed to push the phone to DFU mode automatically, but it gives error: USBMuxListenerCreate: No error
Also tried the tools Ziphone offers including enter DFU mode, but get that error also.

sounds like you ran the gamut dude, I would tell you to flash a jailbroken IPSW or JB it using redsn0w or downgrade the OS to 3.1.3 but you need DFU for all of those.

zIphone and the DFU script stopped working way before 3.x fw afaik.

you are going to have to fix the power button, kind of like when my girl's power button broke on her Nexus One, I couldn't even turn the phone on to get to the bootloader.

Here is one more thing to try. If 4.2.1 was not loaded onto the iPhone before it went fubar it may be trying to restore a firmware older than 4.2.1 (or is it downloading/restoring 4.2.1?)

if it is not downloading 4.2.1 when it restores but just restoring the FW on the phone then manually download 4.2.1 for 3G from HERE and in iTunes hold shift then restore and manually select the IPSW, maybe restoring to the latest fw will fix it?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Virtually, I am a Ppc

Quote:
sounds like you ran the gamut dude, I would tell you to flash a jailbroken IPSW or JB it using redsn0w or downgrade the OS to 3.1.3 but you need DFU for all of those.

zIphone and the DFU script stopped working way before 3.x fw afaik.

you are going to have to fix the power button, kind of like when my girl's power button broke on her Nexus One, I couldn't even turn the phone on to get to the bootloader.

Here is one more thing to try. If 4.2.1 was not loaded onto the iPhone before it went fubar it may be trying to restore a firmware older than 4.2.1 (or is it downloading/restoring 4.2.1?)

if it is not downloading 4.2.1 when it restores but just restoring the FW on the phone then manually download 4.2.1 for 3G from HERE and in iTunes hold shift then restore and manually select the IPSW, maybe restoring to the latest fw will fix it?
Thanks for everything,
tiny umbrella shows it has 4.2.1, but ill try that anyways, and order a new power ribbon. Thanks again Orange!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Thanks for everything,
tiny umbrella shows it has 4.2.1, but ill try that anyways, and order a new power ribbon. Thanks again Orange!
yeah man sorry, everything on the iPhone depends on that power button.

last ditch effort you could open up the phone, remove the battery, leave it out for 10 mins, then put it back in, then plug it in and restore.

Sounds like you have not had the phone "off" yet.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Virtually, I am a Ppc

Quote:
yeah man sorry, everything on the iPhone depends on that power button.

last ditch effort you could open up the phone, remove the battery, leave it out for 10 mins, then put it back in, then plug it in and restore.

Sounds like you have not had the phone "off" yet.
Well, it has been off overnight due to the battery dying. I ordered a new power button ribbon from Ebay for ten bucks. But anyways, what exactly will I do with DFU mode after I get button fixed? It doesnt make sense that I can restore it successfully and still get stuck at the logo.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Threadstarter

In DFU you can:

1) use iREB to set it up to flash a jailbroken IPSW that bypasses some bootloader stuff.

2) downgrade the firmware

3) actually use the power button to "force boot" the device by holding the power + home button which sometimes kicks it on.

4) put it in DFU and jailbreak the current firmware with redsn0w which again may bypass whatever the bootloader or firmware is running into,

probably more stuff I'm too busy to think up right now.

PPCGeeks > iPhone > GSM iPhone Development