PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?

a question like "why does everyone hate the iphone?" is already an inaccurate and presumptuously philistine way to make a point. There are countless threads on here about why the iphone completely blows and others on why it is the greatest gift to humanity since Prometheus stole fire from the gods. There is no consensus, and very few logically articulated arguments for or against.

We all know the pros and we all know the cons. It's become more of a great social debate than a practical search for actual data on the limitations and enhancements of the device.

Last edited by orangekid; 01-05-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: one of my adverbs looked like an adjective
Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon

outlaw.99 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to outlaw.99

Im the first to admit that I have a strong dislike for Apple, and that comes from building and training people on PC`s for years and watching Apples progression over the last 25 years... But even with that, I think the iPhone is a nice device on a crappy network...

Lets face it though...People WANT to love Apple....Even though their marketing choices have been recipies for implosion (see below)*, the iPod has become their nucleus....Now with building dual platform Cpus (OS/Windows) they are doing what they should have dones years ago to appeal to the masses...

But remember with fandom comes the haters.... So if 5 million love it, there will be 2.5 million that think its garbage...Im not a fanboy, but if Verizon came out with an iPhone I would probably buy it....I could eliminate the need to carry 2 devices (Ipod Touch and PPC) and still sync with Outlook while carrying my favorite episodes of Code Monkeys and Robot Chicken with me 24/7....

*1) Making their computers over the years proprietary, and pointed towards one button point and click computing....If there werent millions of ( http://harryallen.info/wp-content/up...mac-medres.jpg ) crammed in schools, would Apple really have had the market to stay alive?
*2) Making a great device, yet putting it on a lower ranked cellular service after being lured by money and a contract... Why not go the way of HTC and have devices on each and call the something different.... IE The iPhone (ATT), The iTalk (Sprint) and the iHave-a-Signal (Verizon)....
Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: sprint touch pro 2
Carrier: cmcc

jerrymc is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to jerrymc

i don't hate iphone. it's just that i don't think it deserve the title "smart phone". how can a phone that can only run one application in one time be entitle as "smart"?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

christianm17 is a n00b

The phone is great for a basic phone. You need to jailbreak it to customize it though which is pretty sad. When it first came out, it didn't even have 3g natively. Now that it went to 3g, everyone seems to drool over it. That's called marketing. The iPhone is far from multitask.
Also, i remember my days with the 2g iPhone(yes, I was one of the dumbasses who bought it). It would crash everyday trying to load pictures. Edge was so depressing and it would only be good for youtube and music. Then, came the 3g and my sister just had to have it. Not only did she keep missing calls but their 3G speeds in NYC were so depressing that even plain old EDGE was faster. Now, the 3GS can record nativaly but no flash. Picture quality from their camera is pretty bad.
Reason why iPhones are not used by businesses. Yes, i know you've seen CEO's and even their employees use them but for business purposes, they use WM or BB's.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

knewBee4lyfe is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to knewBee4lyfe

i used to work for ATT in customer service and well I will always be a WM fan...
like everyone said... its personal preference, but in the end... people have been labeling it wrong ( first true smart phone) yea riiiiight!!!! when the iphone first came out it wasn't 3g, no mms and no video... still no flash on the camera... and tethering none of that either. yea there were work arounds... liike just emailing via text #. (ie 1235551234@att.mms.net) or your friends mmsing you to email. but what a hassle.

imho... it would a great smartphone... for 11yr olds and people over 50... and it does have its advantages ie batterylife and ease of use.

but at the same time... multitasking??? how bout flexibility to build on it? none whatsoever. you want the ability to remote control your desktop? you gotta pay!

1. you stated something about speed. the hermes was slow and wm5.1 sucked balls. yes it was held back... but now its better. you can regedit to change soooo many things. lots of free "apps" and 3g (for sprint/verizon) is waaaaay better coverage than ATT.

2. cost... if you jailbreaked 5 att Iphones... and flashed 5 WM devices... w/ sprint vs att your cost would be (for similar plans)

unlimited data
unlimited talk
unlimited text
ability to tether
gps
(gps bluetooth system) as far as i know apple relies on triangulation instead of gps until the most recent 3gs.

yearly cost sprint= 4799.40 att =9838.92 (plus the cost of the gps bluetooth system which is 69.99 per device. (not added) and thats also if they have the ability to tether. which the iphone doesn't. yet. btw att to my knowledge will not allow tethering unless the use of thier connection manager is used. im sure they got around this w/ windows/wm but how are they going to do that w/ apple proprietary systems? aka "unhackable" idk!

seriously... can you download apps larger than 8 megs w/o requiring the use of wifi? plus the fact that its not insurable ... and you have to go w/o a phone for about 2 weeks if your iphone dies on you through warranty. no ability to use microsoft push... (i think) not fat finger friendly.
btw (for a 16 gig mem card you can buy cheap... you would have as much music capabilities as an i phone... but... if your iphone dies... can you say you can hard re-set and w/o plugging into a computer... be able to listen / view your saved info... pictures/vid/music? would you have to search and re-dl all of your apps/games? (few of the joys of having a seperate memory card) can you have more than 32 gigs of programs /music in your phone? (being able to swap mem cards)

att has a great system for simultaneous talk/data...

but they haven't been able to fix the 2g/3g swapping.. it will drop the call if it goes from 3g-2g... and 3g usage kills the battery twice as fast. i remember when they first found out about it.... people were calling w/ thier new lg 3g phones and we were instructing them how to lock it into 2g mode, unfortunately... it gets locked there and there is no way you can unlock it unless you warranty the phone.

and it seems like... all you are trying to do is try to convince people that iphone is the way to go. if you can argue my (atleast monetary) argument... i might have a change of heart! if you can argue both.... maaaybe.
again... I know there are perks w/ the iphone. battery life and ease of use...

but its just not my flavor.

thats my 2 cents. sorry about the book.
being a knew bee, im always learning stuff im forgetting, ADHD Sucks balls. i knew i should have listened to my mommy when she said drugs are bad... but i was never this bad at remembering stuff... anyways... learning, yea... ADHD makes me a person that writes long and useless stuff... anyways back to learning... i will be a new bee for life because by the time i understand something, im 2 updates behind. sorry.

Last edited by knewBee4lyfe; 01-07-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon

outlaw.99 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to outlaw.99

We can probably all agree though that there cant truly be an iPhone killer, until you have a device that syncs flawlessly with itunes and outlook at the same time as the iPhone does... Thats what people are shelling out the money for, is a way to combine their smart phone and iPod into one device....With Apple having iTunes in the bag for obvious reasons, its gonna be hard for another phone to cover that demand...
Old 01-08-2010, 12:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

sorge is becoming a great contributor

Hmmm I don't hate it, I just think its overly expensive, overly simple, and too many Iphone tools.

I really think the tools are the worse part, I actually work with one. He has told me how apple makes the best software, hardware, and forever innovates its products.

Hmmmm what innovation has apple done since the original iphone? They just added features that should have been there in the first place. OMFG we can send MMS......hmmm I could do that with my first camera phone....on altell.....Are you telling me ATTs network couldn't handle MMS, when Nextel's could?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:58 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw.99 View Post
iHave-a-Signal (Verizon)....
LOL.
I liked that one.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: iPhone 3Gs
Carrier: AT&T Premiere

rawdog805 is becoming a great contributor

I used to hate the Iphone, until my wife got me a 32gb 3gs refurb for Xmas, for $149.. I love the thing now, can't put it down.. The phone blows my old sprint HTC Diamond out of the water.. I have had no problems with reception either, unlike sprint..

It was hard giving up my SERO plan, but I get a 25% discount from AT&T through my wifes employer so I only pay about $15-20 more a month..

Love the phone though.. WM was great while it lasted with MM's roms but it just doesnt compare to the Iphone 3gs..
Old 01-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw.99 View Post
We can probably all agree though that there cant truly be an iPhone killer, until you have a device that syncs flawlessly with itunes and outlook at the same time as the iPhone does... Thats what people are shelling out the money for, is a way to combine their smart phone and iPod into one device....With Apple having iTunes in the bag for obvious reasons, its gonna be hard for another phone to cover that demand...
I don't agree, itunes sucks banana nuts. worst music program ever. I use mediamonkey or foobar with my ipod flawlessly without all the garbage hassles of itunes. I JUST WANT TO LOAD SOME MUSIC!

I don't want to buy your crappy POS 128 kbps mp3s for a dollar or more each.

I don't want to spend 20 minutes reloading my library every time I open the program.

I don't want to know about your brand new spyware.. erm. I mean "update" every 5 minutes

I don't need you installing a thousand other programs with your garbage Itunes POS program!

mediamonkey ftw, itunes if anything, is a reason not to get the iphone.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions