PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 04:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

Telek is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: RhodiumW CDMA Worldphone HardSPL Unlocker Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuprotocol View Post
Exactly! Again, we're thankful for their work, but to call this method a donation is kind of ridiculous. I’m glad Mighty doesn’t allow us to install his rom ONCE and then makes us submit support tickets for additional installs. Then if we do get a second device unlocked to install his rom, he then tells us that we NEED to donate for additional installs. It’s people like that I’m TRULY thankful for b/c they are not FORCING us to contact them after the first install.
Ok, so here's a hypothetical then:

You've just spent 100 or so hours working on a tool to unlock people's phones. You have no intention of charging the general public, however a few unscrupulous people decide to take this software and use it to sell unlocked phones while charging $50 extra a pop. They make thousands of dollars of your hard work, and you don't get as much as a thank you from them.

Is it really unreasonable to put in place a mechanism to try to prevent these people from making money off of your hard work?

Granted their system seems to have some bugs in it, but what nontrivial system has ever worked on the first try?

Honestly when reading these forums and having to wade through the disguisting sense of entitlement from so many ingrates can you really blame them for taking a little while to respond to the support requests around Christmas time?

Also to those complaining about collection of "personally identifiable information" - how exactly do you figure that an IMEI (your phone's serial number) and an IP address is "personally identifiable"?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6850
Carrier: VZW

slyfox7 is a n00b

payment sent - Transaction ID: 72C00339WX392764A
Old 12-30-2009, 05:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

I'm curious as to why we need to run in admin mode?
And why do we need to give you the IMEI?

Those two things makes me VERY uneasy about using this unlocker.

Edit: I don't mean to start anything, I'm just curious about those two points.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post
I'm curious as to why we need to run in admin mode?
Most people don't have to - I didn't. EDIT: Oops - I forgot that I ran it on an XP machine because my Vista sync was screwed up. I don't know why they need it, but I suspect it may have something to do with the way that it accesses the activesync APIs to get direct access to the phone's memory and bootloader.

Quote:
And why do we need to give you the IMEI?
In order to make sure that you're not bulk unlocking phones. (and making money off of their work that is intended to be freely available)

Last edited by Telek; 12-31-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Mastergreeny is just getting started

Thanks for the Unlock!!! Donation on its way...Transaction ID: 96R545858L7101645
Old 12-31-2009, 06:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: U.S. Cellular

laymanspc is keeping up the good worklaymanspc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telek View Post
Most people don't have to - I didn't.
Whether you realize it or not, you did. If Vista or Windows 7, UAC (User Account Control) will toss up a prompt requesting admin access (unless you turned UAC off then it just takes the admin permissions it needs without any sort of indication a.k.a. stupid). If you have XP, then it creates all users as full time admins unless specifically set to be a limited user account at the time of the account creation.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
In order to make sure that you're not bulk unlocking phones.
If these folk are the unlock police, what are they doing cracking the devices in the first place?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Ok, so here's a hypothetical then:

You've just spent 100 or so hours working on a tool to unlock people's phones. You have no intention of charging the general public, however a few unscrupulous people decide to take this software and use it to sell unlocked phones while charging $50 extra a pop. They make thousands of dollars of your hard work, and you don't get as much as a thank you from them.

Is it really unreasonable to put in place a mechanism to try to prevent these people from making money off of your hard work?

Granted their system seems to have some bugs in it, but what nontrivial system has ever worked on the first try?

Honestly when reading these forums and having to wade through the disguisting sense of entitlement from so many ingrates can you really blame them for taking a little while to respond to the support requests around Christmas time?

Also to those complaining about collection of "personally identifiable information" - how exactly do you figure that an IMEI (your phone's serial number) and an IP address is "personally identifiable"?
responses numbered as per your paragraphs

#1, They claim they're bringing more sales to the manufacturers, which may well be true until it starts coming out there is a limit of unlocks for a particular manufacturer's phones, and the limitations sometimes prevent any unlocks at all. That will severely HINDER sales as well as all the 'behind the scenes' development we currently enjoy from all these fine folk here at PPCG and other places like XDA... So if they wanna spend hundreds of hours working on something for more than legitimate donations without the strong-arm tactics, they need to find a different hobby. Doing this stuff for donation is the way it's been for all phones for all time; do some reading.

#2 yes it is unreasonable to put a mechanisim into place to prevent folk from using your work when your work is simply an alteration of someone else's work. What they are doing is no different than cracking a copy of Microsoft Windows and making a thousand copies and taking em out and selling them on a street corner.

#3 the system for all intents works perfectly, it is their strong-arm method that is flawed.

#4, The sense of entitlement is within the creators of this crack. They think they are entitled for compensation beyond that of the goodness of the average person, for doing nothing more than altering the work of HTC...

---4.5 , If they wanna pressure folk into paying, there is nothing wrong with pressuring them for support and action on the issue (action they said was coming on the 17th). They can respond within such a time frame, holiday or not. They choose not to.

#5, you really have no clue what can be done via the internet or telephone with a little social engineering and knowledge of such information do you?

Last edited by laymanspc; 12-31-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

prideofsimba is a n00b

Downloaded the zip file (extracted it) and tried to run it and Norton AV said it infected by Bloodhound.W32E malware. Should I worry?

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by prideofsimba View Post
Downloaded the zip file (extracted it) and tried to run it and Norton AV said it infected by Bloodhound.W32E malware. Should I worry?

Thanks.
No it's a false positive. Several virus scanners overreact when they find anything that is packed or compressed inside the executable (because that is a technique that virus makers also use). It was done to try to prevent people from disassembling the crack to use it for commercial purposes.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development