PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 AM
The Rootinator
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC ONE
Carrier: Sprint

rootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EmpiROM - Featuring TellMe & WM6.5.1 - Fast, Stable, Sleek. For Touch Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamidxa View Post
Guys, you're making the task manager solution harder than it needs to be, and well, so did I.

Believe me, I've tried EVERY viable solution out there, as I explained in my thread here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...45#post1321945

The best solution remains mapping the built in task manager (one that most people don't even know exists, and honestly neither did I) to a hard button.

Here is how you do it step by step:

1. Open File Explorer
2. Select "View Options"
3. Select "Show All Files"
4. Go to \Windows folder on Device
5. Find the file called "taskmgr" (it is 29.3K in size)
Not TaskMan
Not TaskManager
Not TaskManagerApp
Not TaskManagerLite
Not TaskMgr

It has to be "taskmgr" ... It's there believe me:

6. Press down on this file for about 2-3 seconds so the file menu opens and select copy

7. Go to "My Device\Windows\Startmenu\Programs

8. Click on Menu -> Edit -> Paste Shortcut

PART 1 DONE

Now Map it to a hard button for quick access

1. Click on Start -> Settings -> Personal -> Buttons

2. All we need to do now is assign the Send Key(Hold) to "taskmgr"

3. So in other words, anytime we hold down on the Talk button for ~2 seconds or so, instead of making a phone call or flipping the screen orientation, it will launch the above task manager instead.
(you can still make phone calls of course by just hitting the talk button normally, i.e. no long hold)

PART 2 DONE

That's it.
I know that task manager is there but it doesn't really offer more options for the resources it eats up.
Open the default mapped task manager and it uses around 144k or so.
Open the taskmanager the way you mapped it and it uses aver 1 meg.
That is a huge difference in resources for no real difference in options.

The QuickMenu I posted can also be mapped to the long key press I guess and it has options to close running apps as well as a full program menu.

Showcase 1.0.1b is another good option as the new versions as you already know are a pain for the new rom builds.

I will ry to post a QuickMenu sceenshot in a few.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:05 AM
The Rootinator

rootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the community

You see there is nothing showing on my home tab about the taskbar.

Here is QuickMenu main menu with closing app options.

QuickMenu program menu

I did map it to the long key press and it is fast and smooth.

It has a recent option to open app you have used and it has.
Basically it has almost ever menu option your home PC has plus options to close running apps.

Oh yeah, if you click the Close Program with the arrow it has an option to open the same task manager.

Last edited by rootlinux; 11-12-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rooted Samsung Epic.

drthv8r is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Showcase 1.0.1b works for me as it does what it's supposed to do while keeping it simple.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:55 PM
The Rootinator

Yeah the older 1.0.1b works fine.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

weird, now that I installed that GF Round Taskbar WM 6.5 I can get to the task manager when I click on the clock in the taskbar, it drops down. the thing that happened when I installed that new taskbar is that it messes up the notifications area some but it's not a big deal since the battery meters match now and plus I can get to the task manager so I guess it's a trade off I can live with.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:13 PM
The Rootinator

What task manager?
Showcase or HTC task manager?

Options are different on some taskbars and that is probably why it now shows it.

Is the GF taskbar working better for the batter issue?
Should be spot on I think.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootlinux View Post
What task manager?
Showcase or HTC task manager?

Options are different on some taskbars and that is probably why it now shows it.

Is the GF taskbar working better for the batter issue?
Should be spot on I think.
it now shows the HTC task manager when I click on the clock.

well I dont know how well its working for the battery issue, as when I click on the battery on the taskbar it brings up the notification screen and just shows the one percentage with a little green battery to the right of it, which is fine. but like i said it messes up the notification screen some by putting a white line between the sprint and battery notification, and theres a shadow of the close button that is superimpossed (sp?) behind the battery notification, hope this makes sense lol. I'll try to uninstall and reinstall to see if that fixes it.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:32 PM
The Rootinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIOWA69 View Post
it now shows the HTC task manager when I click on the clock.

well I dont know how well its working for the battery issue, as when I click on the battery on the taskbar it brings up the notification screen and just shows the one percentage with a little green battery to the right of it, which is fine. but like i said it messes up the notification screen some by putting a white line between the sprint and battery notification, and theres a shadow of the close button that is superimpossed (sp?) behind the battery notification, hope this makes sense lol. I'll try to uninstall and reinstall to see if that fixes it.
Just soft reset my friend.
It happens from time to time.
That should fix it.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

motocrossyz85 is just getting started

This rom looks great! Have you guys been having many issues with it? I am using energy rom right now and have been for a long time but its sooooo laggggy and glitchy its crazy! I am gonna try the new update and after that I have to say I am gonna try this rom right off the bat!
Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

hamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootlinux View Post
You see there is nothing showing on my home tab about the taskbar.

Here is QuickMenu main menu with closing app options.

QuickMenu program menu

I did map it to the long key press and it is fast and smooth.

It has a recent option to open app you have used and it has.
Basically it has almost ever menu option your home PC has plus options to close running apps.

Oh yeah, if you click the Close Program with the arrow it has an option to open the same task manager.
I've tried that, it's just too small and cumbersome, and it doesn't respond as well as I would like.

Personally, whenever I use taskmgr, I never see it hit 1MB of RAM usage.

It always hovers around 150-200K.

And whenever Im done using it, I just execute a "close all apps" which closes the taskmgr as well, and thus releases any RAM it may have consumed in the process.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development

Tags
empirom, rom, tellme, touch pro, windows mobile 6.5