PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 12:48 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves
Re: [JUL 12] *11 Radios Available* Updated Touch Pro CDMA Radio Archive Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpig View Post
What if I have a radio version on my phone that isn't listed?

Any way I can contribute?

My Touch Pro from telus has radio version 1.07.01V
thanks for the offer, but the only way to get a radio is from a shipped or leaked rom.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, 6800
Carrier: Sprint

Talyn is keeping up the good workTalyn is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to Talyn

Wow, I wish there was some better information on the radio's in here.
It is just a bunch of people jibbering.

Could the OP date the rom's as to when they came out please? I'm not quite sure which are the newest from the last time I downloaded them from JuggaloX's thread.

Michigan Chapter Leader for Ford Truck Enthusiasts
http://www.midnightmods.com/

Networking, Computer Hardware, Farming

Old phones; I-1000x2, I-32sx, I-90x3, I-860x2, I-930x4, PPC-6800x4, Touch Pro
Old 07-23-2009, 01:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic

obamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post

Could the OP date the rom's as to when they came out please? I'm not quite sure which are the newest from the last time I downloaded them from JuggaloX's thread.
Then it's probably a good idea for a wiki to be made for this thread.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro and diamond

har226 is becoming a great contributor

Any suggestions on which one works best for south texas?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: LG G2
Carrier: Ting

D8nkE is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakl View Post
Can anybody in the New york area using a these radios tell us what their results are?
I live north of Syracuse. I use the telus radio. I tried most of them. None of them gave me a stronger signal, but some gave me worse. The telus seems to give me good battery life and the phone stays much cooler.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:19 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus
Threadstarter

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post

well, the dates don't really matter because newer isn't nessecerily better... but if someone can help find this information, i'll add it to the OP
Old 07-23-2009, 10:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

PPCGeeks4ME is keeping up the good workPPCGeeks4ME is keeping up the good work

Here are my thoughts after trying various radios over the past two weeks. I live in Stafford, VA - midway between Richmond and DC. I'm using Sprint, and I run push mail, auto weather, and Palringo, so my data is pretty much always on.

The first radio I tried was the Telus. I really liked it; better signal strength over stock, and much better battery life. However, it has an annoying glitch that I cannot live with. Sometimes, after switching to 1X mode, the phone will not switch back to EVDO when I go back into an EVDO area. I noticed this when driving home from the store; had EVDO all the way except for a quick 1X-only zone just before getting to my house, but within my house, I do have an EVDO signal. In fact, I use a Sprint data modem as my primary Internet connection. Anyway, the phone stayed in 1X and wouldn't switch over; according to FieldTrial, EVDO signal was ~-80dBm, but the conenction was stuck in, "0 - Inactive." I had to soft reset to get EVDO back. It only does this with the Telus radio, and I really can't be soft resetting my phone every time I drive through a 1X-only zone.

The newest Sprint and Alltel radios were almost as good as the Telus with regards to signal strength and battery life. However, they did something weird with the EVDO at my house; signal strength was good (~-80dBm), but when downloading a file, the connection would flicker on and off every second or so. "Requested data rate" would flash between 0 and 2000+kbps, thus bringing the average speed down to ~500kbps. All other radios settled for a constant connection at ~500kbps, which I suspect is better than an unstable connection at 2000kbps.

Overall, however, the Sprint and Alltel radios were a good experience. GPS was rather slow, though, and I couldn't get it to work at all on the Alltel (yes, tried deleting the SUPL AGPS key).

The Verizon radio I've found to be much more aggressive than the others. It will do anything to maintain a signal, even if that means catching your pants on fire. For example, I go to church on Sunday, where I'm always roaming and have a very weak signal. Inside the acoustically-insulated sanctuary, other radios would just give up and disconnect. Once, however, I went in with the Verizon radio, and sure enough, it maintained a 1X connection - but drained the stock battery from 100% to 20% in a 90 minute service. That is not an exaggeration; the phone got hotter than it does when I use WMWifiRouter. I don't know if the phone is boosting its output power, running some heavy amplification circuitry, or both, but apparently gobs of current can somehow get you a usable signal.

For additional confirmation, I noticed a dead spot in a rather remote pet store where I couldn't get any signal at all with the Sprint and Alltel radios (never tried the Telus). I took the phone to the same spot with the Verizon radio later; not only did it have a signal, but it had an EVDO signal. FieldTrial revealed that EVDO signal was -100dBm, but sure enough, it was still connected. Not thinking this was possible, I did a mobile speed test, and got 150kbps - not fast for EVDO, but certainly better than nothing, which is what I'd expect (and got, from the other radios) with such a poor signal. Had I left the phone in this spot for a while, I'm sure it would have killed the battery, but the Verizon radio did indeed seem to grab a signal where no other radio could.

As I mentioned before, I run Palringo constantly. With every radio except Verizon, I have to check it every 15 minutes, as at least one IM service would have disconnected for some reason. With Verizon, I stay connected to five services all day long. Even if I do manage to find a spot where even Verizon cannot maintain a signal, Palringo is able to properly suspend and resume the connection without my intervention; this doesn't happen with any other radio. I'm not really sure why. Something always screws up (I get #777 error, or Palringo thinks it has a connection when it doesn't, or Palringo never resumes the connection when the signal comes back) and I have to manually reconnect.

Therefore, this is my advice so far: if you spend most of your time in good coverage and only drive through dead spots, go with the Verizon radio. It will give your phone a power boost when necessary to avoid dropping calls on the road. However, if you spend extended periods of time in low-signal situations, you probably won't be able to stand the battery life of the Verizon radio, so go with the newest Sprint or Alltel if GPS works for you.

Since I have a 3000mAh battery, Palringo, and decent coverage at home and work, I'm sticking with the Verizon radio. I'll just have to remember to turn the phone off at church, which I guess I really should be doing anyway.

^NOTE: Take everything I said above with a grain of salt. These results are very area-specific, and unless you have the same phone and same commute as I do, the only way to find what radio is best for you is to try them yourself. I'm just reporting my results in hopes of providing a starting point.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (Telus)
Carrier: Telus

gtman2000 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to gtman2000

Ok, so i have installed the Verizon 1.03.09V radio and my phone keeps messing up. After I make the 1st call after flashing the phone will go to sleep and starts to vibrate non stop and the wake up button and none of the other buttons work. I have to pull the battery and it will start to vibrate as soon as it hits sleep mode. I flashed back to the Telus Radio and then the Verizon 1.03.09V and still the same issue, any ideads? I am going back to the Telus Radio for now.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro> EVO

tx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on reptx_jaycee is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to tx_jaycee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCGeeks4ME View Post
The Verizon radio I've found to be much more aggressive than the others. It will do anything to maintain a signal, even if that means catching your pants on fire.
This just made me snort out loud. LOL!!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

PPCGeeks4ME is keeping up the good workPPCGeeks4ME is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtman2000 View Post
Ok, so i have installed the Verizon 1.03.09V radio and my phone keeps messing up. After I make the 1st call after flashing the phone will go to sleep and starts to vibrate non stop and the wake up button and none of the other buttons work. I have to pull the battery and it will start to vibrate as soon as it hits sleep mode. I flashed back to the Telus Radio and then the Verizon 1.03.09V and still the same issue, any ideads? I am going back to the Telus Radio for now.
Wow; it's quite odd for a radio to be causing problems like that. What ROM are you using?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development